sdf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this basically medical genetics and pedigree analysis or what?

Uh, Genetics isn't applying to medical school.... I have to talk on behalf of him since he's now banned.

In regards to your actual question, I am not sure. I bet its to the extent you learn in a year of ugrad cellbio/genetics courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uh, Genetics isn't applying to medical school.... I have to talk on behalf of him since he's now banned.

In regards to your actual question, I am not sure. I bet its to the extent you learn in a year of ugrad cellbio/genetics courses.

True, thus you can be sure Genetics will never be in med school. :laugh:

Damn, I always miss first crack at the good ones.
Even with this laptop on my leg, I'm still slow

Is this basically medical genetics and pedigree analysis or what?

Pretty much. Mine was very comparable to (maybe a little easier than, now that I think about it) a really good genetics course I took in undergrad. I my case the med school class had a bit more emphasis on clinical applications. Pretty interesting, actually.

Damn, I always miss first crack at the good ones.
Even with this laptop on my leg, I'm still slow

Same thing I was thinking. Congrats to stolenspatulas for jumping all over that one.

My school had about 2 weeks dedicated to it. The Mendelian stuff was basically "you should have had this by now," and we focused on the variations/exceptions (incomplete dominance, reduced penetrance, mitochondrial inheritance, etc.). A decent undergrad course should have covered it sans a couple of discussions of specific disease or maybe the newer diagnostic tools that have come out recently.

I think that we used four diseases as models for diagnosis, pathology, genetic origin, inheritance, etc. Lemme see, I think they were CF, Fragile X, Muscular Dystrophy, and Huntington's.

I think the OP was talking about the discipline, not the SDN member.

I think the OP was talking about the discipline, not the SDN member.

duh.gif

duh.jpg

If it's run anything like the class at my school, it's extremely interesting. No, I have nothing worthwhile to contribute. Just wanted to give Med. Genetics at UASOM mad props. Word.

At my school, genetics and biochem are done together in the first five weeks. It covers pretty much everything that you would expect in a full undergrad course, including the molecular aspects (transcription, translation, etc. ), inheritance, pedigrees, disorders, treatments, clinical aspects, gene therapy, genetic engineering, etc.

I wouldn't take genetics before med school for the info, but rather to fulfill the requirement. The genetics you need to know for med school is mostly covered in basic bio. The rest is interesting details. That said, if you're going to take something to be prepared for med school, take immuno. I didn't, and I was fine, but I would have felt more prepared if I had.

I wouldn't take genetics before med school for the info, but rather to fulfill the requirement. The genetics you need to know for med school is mostly covered in basic bio. The rest is interesting details.

Agree. This is not the kind of course you need a leg up on. A good bio course covering the mendelian stuff should be adequate background. The main distinction of the med school course from undergrad stuff (aside from the pace) tends to be all the diseases.