Genetics in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ua2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just dropped my General Genetics class that I was taking for fun (post-bacc) because I was annoyed about learning about flies, animals, and plants. I want to take Human Genetics in the fall. How much genetics is emphasized in medical school? What topics are really pertinent? Calculating genetic linkages? Exceptions to Mendel? Genetics in prokaryotes? (I really dislike these aforementioned topics lol). I do like pedigree analysis, molecular genetics, learning about genetic diseases, and ethics. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We had block scheduling and our genetics course was 4 weeks (aka nothing but genetics for 4 weeks). It's human genetics, nothing about plants. Molecular genetics, genetic diseases, etc.

Some of general topics from lectures given this year -
Embryology/Development
Inheritance/Pedigree Analysis
Linkage and Association
Developmental Disorders
Genetic Testing
Population genetics
Chromosomal Disorders
Cancer Genetics
Lots of lectures on genetic disorders

Reactions: 4 users
Quite similar to what we do.

We had block scheduling and our genetics course was 4 weeks (aka nothing but genetics for 4 weeks). It's human genetics, nothing about plants. Molecular genetics, genetic diseases, etc.

Some of general topics from lectures given this year -
Embryology/Development
Inheritance/Pedigree Analysis
Linkage and Association
Developmental Disorders
Genetic Testing
Population genetics
Chromosomal Disorders
Cancer Genetics
Lots of lectures on genetic disorders

God plant genetics was a pain in the ass, fricken corn being polyploid doing all kinds of random ****

Reactions: 3 users