Genetics on MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayhaan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm about a week out from my mcat date, and this one thing has been bothering me constantly. Genetics. I've read constantly in tons of threads that there is this big focus on genetics, even more so than is covered in the AAMC practices. I'm inclined to believe this as well since there were like 1 or 2 passages strictly on genetics. Can you past MCAT writers give me some insight as to the extent of genetics? I've been going through TBR bio book 2 and it goes insanely indepth (you know shine delgarno, pribnow box, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm about a week out from my mcat date, and this one thing has been bothering me constantly. Genetics. I've read constantly in tons of threads that there is this big focus on genetics, even more so than is covered in the AAMC practices. I'm inclined to believe this as well since there were like 1 or 2 passages strictly on genetics. Can you past MCAT writers give me some insight as to the extent of genetics? I've been going through TBR bio book 2 and it goes insanely indepth (you know shine delgarno, pribnow box, etc).

My MCAT focused on the molecular biology aspects of genetics (at least 2 passages). I would first suggest making sure you understand transcription/translation well. Then look up some genetic conditions on pubmed and try to figure out if you can read about it and understand exactly what the mutation causes. For example, looking at muscular dystrophy, if given a flow chart of how a muscle works protein-interaction wise and seeing where a mutation interupts that flow chart, you should be able to apply that information and answer the questions. For my test you didn't need to have the detail of the TBR book memorized; it was more just reading about a new mutation and understanding how it works. I hope that helps. Good luck!

MCAT genetics is extremely simple. You need to have some idea of how gene regulation works. Nothing in super detail, just the basics. The most difficult heredity problems you might run into are tracing sex-linked diseases through several generations. My test had very little (maybe no?) genetics questions on it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, this helped put me at ease. I'm going to do a quick review on the 2 TBR chapters on genetics, and the EK genetics chapter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any books besides TBR and EK bio that have practice questions for genetics? I have EK 1001 but I won't be able to get TBR.

I purchased from Amazon.com Schaumb's outline : Genetics 5th edition.
Im making sure I have it covered! Hey you never know.

It has over 450 practoc problems.

It goes over some topics like gene regulation, mutations from a genetic stand point, and other things.

Great book to help you get the basics and it does challeneg you a little in a advanced sort of way by putting together more than one concept for each chapter.

It goes over some topics like gene regulation, mutations from a genetic stand point, and other things.

Great book to help you get the basics and it does challeneg you a little in a advanced sort of way by putting together more than one concept for each chapter.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

When are you taking the MCAT? This is a great suggestion but I am not sure I have enough time to do this.