Genetics or Cell and Molecular Biology...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hon abe lin

which course would be more helpful for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm, cell and molecular biology should have been part of your introductory biology...

at my school, they are both upper level classes that go waaaay more in depth than the intro course. Also at my school, cell molec is a prereq for genetics so I will take both.
To the OP, seems like people hype up genetics especially with the increased genetics on the test. Either way you go it won't matter significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
hon abe lin said:
which course would be more helpful for the MCAT?
I remember that there was a lot of genetics on all of the practice tests that I took and on the actual MCAT. Knowing that, I would say take genetics, but if you could take both you would be in even better shape.

Cell Bio, no doubt. There truly is a lot of genetics on the MCAT, but not anything that requires an advanced course - most of the hard stuff comes down to recognizing the difference between recessive and dominant, autosomal or sex linked, etc. This is stuff you learned in Bio 1 and could easily refresh with a prep book.
Cell Bio, on the other hand, helps you to understand the Bio passages on a deeper level. Cell Bio covers everything from mitochondria to the nucleus to the cytoskeleton to exocytosis to... Cell bio covers many topics that will be on the MCAT, that although advanced info isnt necessary, it certainly helps when reading passages.

I haven taken both courses, Genetics and Cell and Molecular Biology, as advanced level biology courses and found Cell and Molecular Biology to be much more helpful (took MCAT in April). As stated before, the genetics on the mcat is very basic, but cell and molec biology covers many topics that are very useful in garnering a deeper understanding of alot of passage content. My cell and molec class even covered some of the basics of genetics. The topics covered in cell and molec biology concerning cellular signaling were especially helpful.