Genetics - Phd, MD or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muffinho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For someone who is interested in ABMG fellowships in Genetics, and research in Genetics, would you recommend PhD, MD or MD/PhD?

My stats are competitive for Canadian MD/PhD programs, Canadian MD programs, North American PhD programs and possibly some lower tier US MD programs.

GPA for my second degree (Biochemistry): 4.0 (have 1 year remaining)
MCAT: 37
Some research experience in quantum mechanics (unrelated, I know). I will be in a more relevant lab come September.
The rest of my ECs are good.

My first degree has a terrible GPA (Mathematics, 2.0).

Ideally, I stay in Canada (significantly cheaper).
I wasn;t sure if this question should be posted here or general pre-allo.

Thanks!

edit: Forgot to add, I'll be 25 when applying and hopefully 26 when starting (assuming 1 application cycle = success).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Explain what you mean by "first" and "second" degree? Is the second one a Master's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Explain what you mean by "first" and "second" degree? Is the second one a Master's?

I did an undergraduate degree in mathematics. Had a year off ( I was planning to spend that year pursuing a competitive athletic career), family member got sick. During family member's illness, I decided to go back to school. I am now in the process of completing a second undergraduate degree in Biochemistry (almost done).

First Undergrad: Mathematics- 2.0 GPA
Second Undergrad: Biochemistry- 4.0 so far.

Unless you are URM, I think you will have a hard time getting any MD much less an MD/PhD seat with that first blemish. PhD programs tend to not care as much about grades, so that would be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a decent chance in Canada since some MD programs in Canada will look only at my second degree.

My concern is whether an MD or a PhD (or MD/PhD) is the better option for ABMG Lab Fellowships, and whether, given the glut of PhDs in the life sciences, if a PhD can ever be recommended.

This is pretty much a PhD specific thing. An MD would be boarded in their sub specialty like molecular genetic pathology. Maybe ABMG is for those with IM training, I'm not sure, but virtually all the people I know that are ABMG certified are PhDs.

Reactions: 1 user
This is pretty much a PhD specific thing. An MD would be boarded in their sub specialty like molecular genetic pathology. Maybe ABMG is for those with IM training, I'm not sure, but virtually all the people I know that are ABMG certified are PhDs.

Do you know the best way to get in contact with ABMG certified PhDs? I have a few questions, and the only person I've spoken to so far is one of the program directors for Toronto's Genetics fellowship.

Do you know the best way to get in contact with ABMG certified PhDs? I have a few questions, and the only person I've spoken to so far is one of the program directors for Toronto's Genetics fellowship.
I'd argue that you've probably got an excellent contact already, but the ABMG website has a list of all accredited fellowships as well as residency options (for MDs). They have contact info for the PDs as well.

I'd argue that you've probably got an excellent contact already, but the ABMG website has a list of all accredited fellowships as well as residency options (for MDs). They have contact info for the PDs as well.

I wanted to ask about employment prospects after one has completed a fellowship. The PD in Toronto was incredibly helpful in regards to program structure, competitiveness of the program and funding information, but I couldn't get a straight answer about employment prospects.

I'll email some of the PDs on the list you provided. Thank you!