huskydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
What are people doing as far as treatment for genitofemoral or ilioinguinal neuralgia?

a) Anyone performing peripheral stimulator implants? How are you getting this covered by insurance?

b) Pulsed RF? covered by insurance?

c) Spinal Cord stim? DRG stim with SCS leads?

thanks

SpineBound

Large Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2008
California
Status
Attending Physician
We did a PNS at the VA for ilioinguinal neuralgia. Trial went great, proceeded to implant which was removed due to IPG/pocket infection. Patient still really wants it and we will reimplant once infection is cleared and 6 months elapse.

Obviously no problems with insurance in this case.

jj337

7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I am doing pulsed RF in certain cases (99.9% post-hernia pain).

There are a few carriers that pay. I have had one pt pay cash for it.

Relatively simple, except for needle, not too expensive for me. Seems to work pretty well.

Follow Lobel's recs he gave me earlier.

Sometimes, I take a little hit with it.

Work comp pays for it here surprisingly.

$0.02 For what it's worth

Mister Mxyzptlk

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2006
Yewston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
What you need to do is a nerve block and "oh by the way since I mistakenly used an RF cannula I did a pulsed RF while I was in the neighborhood".

Ducttape

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
What you need to do is a nerve block and "oh by the way since I mistakenly used an RF cannula I did a pulsed RF while I was in the neighborhood".
"thats odd, this tubing for wierd looking pigtail catheter has prongs that only seem to fit into my RFA machine... gosh, its awfully dark in here, pls hit the light switch..."

lobelsteve

SDN Lifetime Donor
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2005
Canton GA
www.stevenlobel.com
Status
Attending Physician
And we can move this to private now please.

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
What are people doing as far as treatment for genitofemoral or ilioinguinal neuralgia?

a) Anyone performing peripheral stimulator implants? How are you getting this covered by insurance?

b) Pulsed RF? covered by insurance?

c) Spinal Cord stim? DRG stim with SCS leads?

thanks
I would think that a patient with a good lawyer would easily win a law suit against any insurance company that tried to deny this procedure that CLEARLY has good evidence in it's favor.

The risk/benefit ratio is so far on the benefit side, I can't believe they are still winning this battle! Where are the patient advocate lawyers?