Geographic mobility from residency to fellowship, from fellowship to job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lp92

Reaction score
Incoming PGY1 interested in GI. From NYC originally, did med school in NY.
I've been comparing fellowship match lists for residency programs and some of them seem to take their own/ match regionally. Does where I do residency training make it harder to come back to NYC for fellowship? Similarly, does doing fellowship elsewhere make it harder to come back to NYC after fellowship for job placement?
I'm looking predominantly at programs in the NE (philadelphia, Boston, Long Island, NJ) but also have some farther out (Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles)

Thank you for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming PGY1 interested in GI. From NYC originally, did med school in NY.
I've been comparing fellowship match lists for residency programs and some of them seem to take their own/ match regionally. Does where I do residency training make it harder to come back to NYC for fellowship? Similarly, does doing fellowship elsewhere make it harder to come back to NYC after fellowship for job placement?
I'm looking predominantly at programs in the NE (philadelphia, Boston, Long Island, NJ) but also have some farther out (Houston, Chicago, Los Angeles)

Thank you for any insight!
No to both questions. absolutely do not make fellowship decisions with this in mind. go to the fellowship you want, wherever that is. there are enough GI jobs, people dont care where you come from.

I went to school in NJ, residency NYC, and fellowship in AZ. You will definitely get the most fellowship interviews in your immediate geographic area - if you're competitive you'll probably also get some outside the area as well. You can go wherever you like without issue for job placement, the only caveat being some academic programs may have a bias towards keeping their own but I suspect thats more of a universal than regional issue.

Reactions: 1 users