JPmamd09

Chillin
10+ Year Member
May 18, 2008
WI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi,

I tried to look for the answer to my question earlier, hope I didn't overlook it.

Anyway, this is my predicament: my husband is a soon-to-be second year law student, and I am a JMS at the medical school in the same town. I've narrowed career choices to peds or med-peds (figuring that out is a whole other story). However, he will have one year of school remaining after I match. This would not be an issue (our entire relationship before marriage was long-distance), except for the fact that we have a nearly one year old son now (parenting and med school - don't try this at home; j/k, I wouldn't change it for the world). The issue now is that in our city there is one peds program, one med/peds program. An hour away (doable) is a peds program. And 2 to 2.5 hours away are a few other programs (far less doable).

Questions are as follows:
1. Can I apply to two types of programs, seeing as I really don't know which I like more?
2. Is applying to only three programs putting me in serious danger of not matching?
3. Say I don't match; what are the repercussions and would future programs be understanding as to why I didn't apply to more programs?
4. Would it be smarter to take a year off and do something worthwhile (ie research and volunteer), or would that also come off badly?

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, as I'm sure you can tell I've got a lot of anxiety surrounding this process (then again, who doesn't?) Thanks for your time!

kenmc3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2003
Status
Hi,

I tried to look for the answer to my question earlier, hope I didn't overlook it.

Anyway, this is my predicament: my husband is a soon-to-be second year law student, and I am a JMS at the medical school in the same town. I've narrowed career choices to peds or med-peds (figuring that out is a whole other story). However, he will have one year of school remaining after I match. This would not be an issue (our entire relationship before marriage was long-distance), except for the fact that we have a nearly one year old son now (parenting and med school - don't try this at home; j/k, I wouldn't change it for the world). The issue now is that in our city there is one peds program, one med/peds program. An hour away (doable) is a peds program. And 2 to 2.5 hours away are a few other programs (far less doable).
Interesting situation since my wife wants to start Law school next year after I graduate and start residency - which has caused us a lot of worry.

1. Can I apply to two types of programs, seeing as I really don't know which I like more?
The answer is yes - both of these are NRMP programs and you can do it. The only issue can be some horror stories I have heard where one LOR for specialty A accidentally goes to specialty B.

2. Is applying to only three programs putting me in serious danger of not matching?
Yes - but I don’t know how competitive you are or what caliber programs you are thinking of applying to. For med programs be sure to look at private hospitals in your area since they tend to be easier to match into.

I actually have a friend in my class planning on going into peds - her fiancé is applying to urology (early match) - so he will know the city he is going to before she creates her rank list (and will only have a few programs to choose from).

3. Say I don't match; what are the repercussions and would future programs be understanding as to why I didn't apply to more programs?
I dont think it would be a problem as long as you made your year off productive (research or something).

4. Would it be smarter to take a year off and do something worthwhile (ie research and volunteer), or would that also come off badly?
No, there would be NO harm in doing this as long as the year was productive - there are some classmates of mine planning this as well.

Another question you must ask yourself is - do you want to stay in the city you are in for the next 3-4 years? Can your husband find a good job where you are located?

Hope this helps - good luck to you!

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Moving to the General Residency Forum for expert comment.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
The easy answer is if your husband is willing to relocate to wherever you match, to take a year off before applying for the match (either between 2nd and 3rd years or after 4th year), then apply widely.

3 programs is significantly below the average number of programs applied to during the match. I believe the NRMP has data tables for this per specialty; look and see what the average is for Peds and Med-Peds. http://www.nrmp.org (follow links to data tables)

If you and your husband are planning on staying in the town you are currently (ie, he will be setting up his law practice there), then I see no sense in taking time off as it would appear that you have no choice except to hope to match someplace close by.