George Fox University PsyD

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by futureapppsy2, Dec 27, 2008.

1. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor
    Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

I searched and couldn't find much on this school, so I'm posting here in hopes of digging up any additional info.

I am considering applying to George Fox U because they offer clinical opportunities in my main area of interest, which is fairly rare. (Also, it's in an area of the country I really like, but that's more of an "oh nice" thing than a important criterion. Also, it's cheaper than Pacific and smaller, both pluses.

I identify as Christian, and while it's not a "gotta have" aspect of a program for me, I wouldn't wholly object to having faith integrated into my training to some degree. What I'm worried about is that I have no substantial Christian "extra curriculars," so to speak (though I am looking to improve upon my lax church attendance :oops:), even though my faith is a part of my identity (not something I would push on clients, though--I'm careful when it comes to most kinds of self-disclosure in general and have done a lot of multicultural work in an area where spirituality can be playing with historical/cultural fire). I'm worried this could result an "auto-reject" from a religious university.

Any other thoughts on the school/program would be appreciated as well!

2. JackD

JackD -
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Since no one else has answered this, I went ahead and just looked into the three most basic concerns you can have about any program. First, this university seems to have a decent, slightly above average APPIC match rate. It is at about 80%. I believe the average is about 75% or so. Your odds of getting into a decent internship look pretty good. I don't see any major concerns there. Second,the program appears to be APA accredited, which is always nice. Third,it also doesn't seem too crowded either, since it seems only a few people are graduating from this program, every year. Maybe about ten or so students, on average.

Just taking a very general look at the program, it seems alright. I don't see any major concerns or red flags. If you think it would be a good fit for you then you should probably strongly consider applying.

#2 JackD, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. PSYCHOLOGY2008

Pre-Psychology
    hi all.
    iam new to this community some people talked of the AAPIC ranking and the college ..status ..how the two are related

kindly put some light
    thanks

4. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist
    10+ Year Member

george fox is a traditionally quaker university.

you may find their beliefs are substantially different than many christian sects. you may want to learn more about their faith by attending a meeting (i.e., what they call their church services).

5. JackD

JackD -
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This may not be 100% correct but close enough. APPIC is an organization that accredits/certifies (or something like that) internships for clinical, counseling, and school psychology graduates. Of course the internship is needed in order to receive a doctorate. Getting into an APPIC internship or higher, such as APA internship, is usually desired by employers and in some states, is required for licensure . If someone is attending a university with a high APPIC match rate, which is the percentage of applicants to APPIC internships that end of getting accepted, the better chance they have of getting licensed, getting a good job, etc. It is one indicator of how successful a graduate of a specific program is likely to be.

Looking at a program's match rate will give you some info on how "good" the program is, how well respected it is, and whatnot.

This link provides the match rate statistics for just about every university in the U.S. and i think some in Canada, with a clinical, counseling, or school psychology program. I think this is the most recent. This is each university's average from 2000-2006

http://www.appic.org/downloads/APPIC_Match_2000-06_by_Univ.pdf

6. neologitastic

Pre-Psychology
    I know people who are in the George Fox Psy.D program and there are a few things you should know. Classes often start with reading passages from the bible and it is common to have prayer in class. Discrimination is intense considering they would not allow a previously thriving student to continue at full time (capped at half-time) after disclosing a diagnosis of ADHD to a professor. During election time there was an effigy of Obama which included a life size mock up hanging, by noose, from a treet on campus. The administraiton refused to condemn the action or punish the students responsible.

7. DrOneday

Pre-Psychology
    I'm a grad student at fox and the admin did punish the students:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/09/four_george_fox_students_confe.html

This was a shock to the whole campus, and to lump these actions with the whole school is not fair

also please note that George Fox is one of the more liberal politically and theologically christian colleges, and although you do have to profess christianity to be a student they are incredibly open minded beyond that as to what that looks like.

I am doing my Masters in Divinity there right now, and i find it hard to believe that the Psych department opens classes with prayer and scripture reading seeing as I have never had a class open this way in my 2 years there.

#7 DrOneday, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  8. clinpsydstudent

clinpsydstudent Clinical Psychologist
    7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    This is just one opinion, from one student, who is a 4th year, just applying to internship. I think George Fox has done very well for itself as a clinical PsyD program. I have had my own ups and downs with the program, but the program has done very well in two things: research and clinical training. At the end of the day, Fox is a good program for those looking to become good, strong practitioners. I hear time and again from current interns that they are clinically stronger than their counterparts from other programs. George Fox is a religious institution, to be sure, but Quakers only comprise 15% of the entire university's populace. And in order to be APA-accredited, George Fox does not only admit Christians to its program. I know of a couple of atheists and Mormons (if Fox were extremely conservative, those types would not be admitted). However, people do sign a statement saying that they will respect Fox's founding ethos (though I have found that the faculty do not "police" students). Some people I know have come forward with mental illness issues, but unless is it is impacting professional development or academics, then the faculty is not concerned. Fox does a good job of matching with APPIC/APA sites (usually 80-87%) on MATCH day; after Clearinghouse (now Phase II), the rates have been extremely consistent at about 92-100% of students matching to accredited sites. Fox has been extremely open and responsive to different issues, and this is, in part, due to APA. So, in sum, good program, strong clinical training, and good research...