George Squared vs William Carey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both post bacc programs. WCU's is a MS in Biomedical Science, and George Mason's / Georgetown's program is a certificate in Biomedical Science. The program at GU and GMU is $10k more per year and living expenses will be about $12k more per year. However, GU and GMU are better schools with good research facilities. My GPA is low (2.95), and I am really concerned about my chances at getting into allopathic school so I think GU and GMU are better for strengthening my app. Any advice? As a non-traditional student with a family, $22k a year is a big factor, but what's $22k a year if I can't get into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to be clear, neither WCU's MS or GMU/GT's ABS Graduate Certificate program is technically a "post-bacc" program.

They are both graduate programs where you take grad courses. They will not raise your undergrad cGPA.

The vast majority of MD schools will screen out your app with a sub-3.0 GPA regardless of how well you do in either program (Most MD schools require a minimum 3.0 GPA to apply).

Unless you have amazing ECs or destroy the MCAT, your best shot will be at DO schools. You'll have a better shot of getting into DO schools going to WCU.

If you want MD, I'd highly recommend raising your undergrad cGPA to above 3.0 before applying.