George Washington Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
doctajay said:
bump, please, someone read my post above and tell me how they did it?
If the lab is included with the course, write exactly what you have for the lecture portion.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated this year and I am taking graduate classes for the 2006-07 year. However I do not know exactly what courses I am taking because I cannot register until July 24th. Since I will not be a full time student, i have to answer question 10, so do you think I should wait to submit my secondary until I know the exact course names, or submit my stuff and then just send them my course schedule?

KatdyerA1A said:
I graduated this year and I am taking graduate classes for the 2006-07 year. However I do not know exactly what courses I am taking because I cannot register until July 24th. Since I will not be a full time student, i have to answer question 10, so do you think I should wait to submit my secondary until I know the exact course names, or submit my stuff and then just send them my course schedule?
Send now and update later. They don't take an anticipated course list for face value until they receive the official course list and transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
any email confirmation updates? :D

Robizzle said:
any email confirmation updates? :D
I was waiting for you to tell me. Nada here! I wouldn't worry so much though. You're already ahead of the game.

HemaOncoDoc said:
I was waiting for you to tell me. Nada here! I wouldn't worry so much though. You're already ahead of the game.

true that. i mean yeah i'm not even planning to get LOR's in until mid july. so i figure if i still don't get that dumb e-mail by mid next week then i'll start complainin again :D . and i just figured out you're HMD on mdapps lol.

Robizzle said:
true that. i mean yeah i'm not even planning to get LOR's in until mid july. so i figure if i still don't get that dumb e-mail by mid next week then i'll start complainin again :D . and i just figured out you're HMD on mdapps lol.
lol...after my snide remark about GW. You're good man, really good!

My LORs are in, but the committee has yet to write my letter. The procedure is that I have to submit the 2ndary before they send the letter out. It saves paper I suppose. If you don't get the email by mid week, I'll nag them for you too.

HemaOncoDoc said:
lol...after my snide remark about GW. You're good man, really good!

My LORs are in, but the committee has yet to write my letter. The procedure is that I have to submit the 2ndary before they send the letter out. It saves paper I suppose. If you don't get the email by mid week, I'll nag them for you too.

oh yea dude that's what i meant. my school has this stupid policy of having all LOR's in by february of the year you plan to apply. so i had my letters in like 5 months ago and they've just been sitting in the office sinec then. and unfortunately, i've made some even closer bonds to professors etc. since then. oh well. are you having NU write yours? heck.. are you in Boston right now? Because I am! this weather sucks.

Robizzle said:
oh yea dude that's what i meant. my school has this stupid policy of having all LOR's in by february of the year you plan to apply. so i had my letters in like 5 months ago and they've just been sitting in the office sinec then. and unfortunately, i've made some even closer bonds to professors etc. since then. oh well. are you having NU write yours? heck.. are you in Boston right now? Because I am! this weather sucks.
That's how things go with recommendations. Most everyone is in the same boat. I don't know why everyone says I graduated from NU...maybe its because it comes after Brandeis, but Brandeis is the one under undergraduate institution. lol. So, Brandeis handles all that. Compiles the LORs, sends them as a package along with a confirmation of the prereq course list (BCPM + E, usually) and a committee letter.

I am in Boston. I work right by Beacon Hill. The weather has been sucky lately, Saturday is supposed to be nice though. This is New England afterall...what do you expect?

Does anyone know what we should put for grade or semester/year for AP courses? Also, what grade should we put if we retook a class?

DRKUBA said:
Does anyone know what we should put for grade or semester/year for AP courses? Also, what grade should we put if we retook a class?

I basically used the same guidelines as AMCAS for APs, so I left the grade blank. If your AP credit is listed as being fall semester of freshman year on your transcript, I would put that. For me, APs are in a separate section of my transcript at the top, so I'm not sure what to put for semester/year. Don't know about retaking, sorry...

I just visited GW today and I was pretty impressed by the facilities. I didn't include it in my original AMCAS submission because US News didn't rank it. Does anyone know why this is? It seemed like a much nicer school than Georgetown, yet Georgetown is ranked and GW isn't. Is it just that it would have ranked so low that they didn't give it a number, or did they choose not to be ranked?

Members don't see this ad :)
mfrenkie said:
I just visited GW today and I was pretty impressed by the facilities. I didn't include it in my original AMCAS submission because US News didn't rank it. Does anyone know why this is? It seemed like a much nicer school than Georgetown, yet Georgetown is ranked and GW isn't. Is it just that it would have ranked so low that they didn't give it a number, or did they choose not to be ranked?

Because the rankings are meaningless...

I had a similar problem with payment, except I never even got a green confirmation number (and I left the screen open). It just said "Your payment has been confirmed. Your confirmation number is ". I emailed them and they gave me the form response. I emailed back telling them that this was the problem, that I DIDN'T get a confirmation number in the first place, not that I didn't get the email. Anyone with a similar problem?

MaiPenRai said:
I had a similar problem with payment, except I never even got a green confirmation number (and I left the screen open). It just said "Your payment has been confirmed. Your confirmation number is ". I emailed them and they gave me the form response. I emailed back telling them that this was the problem, that I DIDN'T get a confirmation number in the first place, not that I didn't get the email. Anyone with a similar problem?

Damn thats messed up, they are definitely having some issues. Those of us who submitted a few days back still haven't gotten an email either.

i loooooooooove them

DrKuba:

Thank you for your interest in GW. The Admissions Committee will review all
of your coursework using your AMCAS application. You should include the most
recent grade. For AP credit, simply list "AP" for the grade received, and
you are welcome to indicate the year the AP credit was received.

Sincerely,

GW Med Admissions

Just in case anyone else wanted to know.

DRKUBA said:
DrKuba:

Thank you for your interest in GW. The Admissions Committee will review all
of your coursework using your AMCAS application. You should include the most
recent grade. For AP credit, simply list "AP" for the grade received, and
you are welcome to indicate the year the AP credit was received.

Sincerely,

GW Med Admissions
Wow, that's a really nice letter. I like how they're so classy.

Hey guys

I have a feeling today IS THE DAY. MARK MY WORD. because i just checked my online bank statement and the $105 fee has been taken off the "PENDING TRANSACTIONS" list and is now officially cleared. so keep your fingers crossed!!!
I WANT THAT DAMN NUMBER ALREADY!

MaiPenRai said:
Oh that is weird. Did you print that page?

Robizzle said:
i hate them.
Don't say that...they read the forum!! lol Get that number Rob so you can submit that puppy and enjoy the nice Boston weather...while it lasts!

HemaOncoDoc said:
Don't say that...they read the forum!! lol Get that number Rob so you can submit that puppy and enjoy the nice Boston weather...while it lasts!

edited big time! haha. yea man.. bout time the sun showed itself again.

yea i paid already for the secondary but didnt get a confirmation email. i did however, get a confirmation number, so i printed out the page for my own records. it is a bit quirky though, but i guess thats what happpens when you get 10,000 applications to its medical school (according to its app)

it says on the page "your payment attempt was successful. Your authorization code is #####A. Please print this page for your receipt."

That was about it

mfrenkie said:

Also, schools choose whether or not they want to submit their information to US News. It's not nec. because they're "not good enough". And, yeah, the rankings are meaningless. Don't base the schools you apply to on them!

Robizzle said:
edited big time! haha. yea man.. bout time the sun showed itself again.
:thumbup: Good move! I've heard a story/rumor that adcoms or students on the adcom peruse the forums and some individuals have been called out during interviews. It is extremely rare, but its best to be cautious. I'm going out now... I'll be around Boston for the 4th with friends, you got plans?

HemaOncoDoc said:
:thumbup: Good move! I've heard a story/rumor that adcoms or students on the adcom peruse the forums and some individuals have been called out during interviews. It is extremely rare, but its best to be cautious. I'm going out now... I'll be around Boston for the 4th with friends, you got plans?

ehh not really yet. probably either gonna set up a good ol' beerbq somewhere or if all else fails just set up a camp on the esplanade to watch the fireworks. i did that last year, right in front of the barge. it was awesome!

anyway... still no e-mail!

Robizzle said:
ehh not really yet. probably either gonna set up a good ol' beerbq somewhere or if all else fails just set up a camp on the esplanade to watch the fireworks. i did that last year, right in front of the barge. it was awesome!

anyway... still no e-mail!
Yeah, none here either. Hang in there though. Great location. Have a blast.

Ok guys. I'm stuck again. Now I plan on using interfolio to send out my LORs because my school has no premed advisory committee and no confidential letter service. Now read this, and tell me if Interfolio qualifies as this:

If the recommendation is not a composite letter and you utilize a confidential letter collection service, you must submit a minimum of three letters (but not more than five). We require two from science faculty familiar with your academic work and one from someone acquainted with your personal traits. A confidential letter collection service is administered by your academic institution (usually through Career or Alumni Counseling Services) and will hold recommendation letters on your behalf and submit them to programs or institutions upon your request. *Will you be utilizing a confidential letter collection service? Yes:

k still no email im gona bust some caps tomorrow.

i just called them. STILL NO HELP.

the lady goes "did you check off the spam blocker of your e-mail? because the e-mail is automatic and some times people don't receive the e-mail because of that." uhhhh last week someone said it wasn't automatic?

they took down my name and number (probably put me on the "annoying applicant list") lol and told me to write another e-mail to [email protected] and they would check it on wednesday because the people who know whats going on with this are out for today.

:(

"Robert,

Thank you for your email. Your authorization code is XXXXXX. If you are
unable to type that into your PDF, please hand write it before sending off
your application.

GW Med Admissions"

thanks GW Med Admissions! =)

Robizzle said:
"Robert,

your application.

GW Med Admissions"

Yeah, the number I had right after submission of payment, the confirmation code, def did not work when I tried to type it into the PDF. Said it was too short. I ended up just writing it and sending it off on monday.

Robizzle said:
"Robert,

your application.

GW Med Admissions"

You finally got it Rob! How was your fourth?

HemaOncoDoc said:
You finally got it Rob! How was your fourth?

fourth was awesome! went to a couple of bbq's/parties during the day and at night we rolled on out to the esplanade. we just pushed through tons of people and found a spot RIGHT in front of the barge. it was nothing short of amazing :D . yours?

how is the secondary for george washington? do they ask to write any long essays? thanks

Ok, so here it is..

The payment code and authorization number are one and the same. If you print the payment page when it says "payment successful", you don't need the email. If your payment successful page doesn't show something that looks like an actual authorization number, print it anyways, this way you have a record in case you need it later. If you still don't trust it, call your credit card company and see if the transaction was posted.

Sometimes transactions don't post till the next business day, so it might take a minute. If you still don't trust it, call your credit card company FIRST, this way, you don't upset anyone in the admissions office by playing the pre-med version of 'are we there yet?' with someone who could impact your future.

If the credit card company can't tell you the transaction is pending or cleared, then try to pay again, if it still doesn't work, THEN call.

Either way, I really don't think the school is trying to rip anyone off, and they aren't going to ding your application if you have a credit card invoice showing you paid.

What I don't understand is how/why they have online payment, but no online secondary? How does that work? Other schools are either all online, or all paper, and when they are a mixed, its usually the payment which is offline and the application which is online.

I would really like GWU to have an online secondary to go along with their online payment. Another school I am applying to has an online secondary and an online payment, and the online secondary has a status check that shows my payment, photo, lor, etc. Does anyone know if they have an online secondary? If anyone finds out and can post, please do. This would save a lot of time and long distance phone calls.

Good luck!

i'm sending my GW secondary in thursday. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Robizzle said:
fourth was awesome! went to a couple of bbq's/parties during the day and at night we rolled on out to the esplanade. we just pushed through tons of people and found a spot RIGHT in front of the barge. it was nothing short of amazing :D . yours?
Mine was pretty lowkey, had a bbq at the house and saw the fireworks from someone's backyard (they were away in Florida).

Dude! I hate waiting for secondaries. I'm thinking about adding more schools from the list of 2nds already out so I have more applications to do right now. That's just torturous though.

SivaDas said:
Ok, so here it is..

The payment code and authorization number are one and the same. If you print the payment page when it says "payment successful", you don't need the email. If your payment successful page doesn't show something that looks like an actual authorization number, print it anyways, this way you have a record in case you need it later. If you still don't trust it, call your credit card company and see if the transaction was posted.

Sometimes transactions don't post till the next business day, so it might take a minute. If you still don't trust it, call your credit card company FIRST, this way, you don't upset anyone in the admissions office by playing the pre-med version of 'are we there yet?' with someone who could impact your future.

If the credit card company can't tell you the transaction is pending or cleared, then try to pay again, if it still doesn't work, THEN call.

Either way, I really don't think the school is trying to rip anyone off, and they aren't going to ding your application if you have a credit card invoice showing you paid.

What I don't understand is how/why they have online payment, but no online secondary? How does that work? Other schools are either all online, or all paper, and when they are a mixed, its usually the payment which is offline and the application which is online.

I would really like GWU to have an online secondary to go along with their online payment. Another school I am applying to has an online secondary and an online payment, and the online secondary has a status check that shows my payment, photo, lor, etc. Does anyone know if they have an online secondary? If anyone finds out and can post, please do. This would save a lot of time and long distance phone calls.

Good luck!
Yeah, an online secondary would be nice where you send in the 2nd application feel in one fell swoop. I don't care how they do it as long as they get my 2nd and I get a prompt interview :). Don't worry anyone. A few of us paid our 2nd app. fee the first day and have not received an email (I still have not gotten mine).

HemaOncoDoc said:
Mine was pretty lowkey, had a bbq at the house and saw the fireworks from someone's backyard (they were away in Florida).

Dude! I hate waiting for secondaries. I'm thinking about adding more schools from the list of 2nds already out so I have more applications to do right now. That's just torturous though.

i have an entire list of the schools im applying to and a "rating" of how hard their secondaries are (based off the "official secondary essay prompts" thread). there's like 5-10 more that just involve sending over a check.. I WANT THEM NOW!!!

Woo...now just waiting for committee letter to be submitted and AMCAS verification , should come annyyday now *prays*
----

Dear M.D. Program Applicant:

We have received your secondary application to The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. If you have not done so already, please send us your letters of recommendation. If we require any further documentation, we will contact you.

Once your application is complete, you will receive another e-mail notification.

Thank you for your interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences!

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions
The George Washington University

School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Doctor of Medicine Program

Robizzle said:
i have an entire list of the schools im applying to and a "rating" of how hard their secondaries are (based off the "official secondary essay prompts" thread). there's like 5-10 more that just involve sending over a check.. I WANT THEM NOW!!!
Spread the wealth Rob!

Hey..what exactly are we attaching when it says to attach a photocopy of your US Permanent Resident card for the GWU secondary? is it our birth certificate?

Biostats.moore said:
Hey..what exactly are we attaching when it says to attach a photocopy of your US Permanent Resident card for the GWU secondary? is it our birth certificate?

if u are a US citizen, u are not a US permanent resident.. (i hope)

Biostats.moore said:
That's a green card I believe.

Robizzle said:
if u are a US citizen, u are not a US permanent resident.. (i hope)
I sure hope so too. Anyways, have you been completely verified by GW yet Rob?

Even though you're not verified, AMCAS still notifies schools that you've designated them on your application. It's kinda nice, b/c it allows you to get started early. Several other schools send out secondaires prior to verification as well...

Orth2006 said:
I just got an email to fill out their Secondary. They said they have recieved my application. Well thats weird because I just submitted my AMCAS last Friday and my transcripts havent even arrived yet. I'm still on the "waiting for transcript" status. I figured its a mass email they send out but then how did they know that I chose them on my AMCAS. I'm a re-applicant. Their email didnt come that soon last year. Anyway I just taught its a little weird.

MaiPenRai said:

I got the exact same problem. Glad to know I will be getting a form response to my email.... Guess I'll just plan on calling instead! :rolleyes: