George Washington students: where do you live?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucky Katt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do current GW students have any advice on living arrangments in the DC area? how far from campus do you or people in your class live? Foggy Bottom? Maryland? Virginia? how's the commute? anybody bought a condo/townhouse instead of renting? i am flying out there next month to look for a place. any info is greatly appreciated. :)
BK

Members don't see this ad.

Please? Anyone? Part of my decision will be based on affordability/convenience of housing...

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate did a PhD at GWU and lived in Alexandria - I think a good portion of the population lives there. I am looking for housing too for GWU. Need a roommate? :)

I'll try to give the best summary I can, but this is just one opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Overall housing is pricey. If you live in Foggy, you're looking at $1100/month for an efficiency on average (though you CAN find some deals, just don't expect to find anything less than $900/month). If you take a roommate or two, obviously you can cut that down, but usually not enough to fit the loan budget of $725 for rent AND untilities.

You're better off looking further out on the Metro, preferably something in Virginia (Arlington, Alexandria, etc.). If it were me, I'd be looking for something on the Orange line. A lot of my class lives in Court House, Ballston, Rosslyn (a little pricier because its closer). Once you get out past Falls Church, the prices become more manageable, but its still not cheap no matter how you slice it.

Bottom line, if you've got enough savings to supplement the financial aid budget enough to get your monthly rent budget up to arouund $850-900, you should be fine in Virginia. If not, you either get a roommate, or check out some of the less nice areas of Maryland or SE DC. I'd really try to stay in Virginia or Foggy though if I were you.

By the way, GW is a fantastic school. no complaints at all. If you're considering coming, don't let the cost of living dissuade you.

Hope this helps.

HamOn

GWU - Class of '07

thanks, Brickhouse and Ham, that helps a lot. i am definitely matriculating at GW this august and i too think it's a fantastic school. i am coming in with a rommate, so maybe that will make things a bit more cost-effective.
BK

Living is very expensive in DC. I live across the street from the hospital. The location is excellent, but I certainly pay for it! You do save a bit by living in the No VA suburbs (which many students do), but time is precious when you're a med student.

I found that the GW housing website was the best resource, but the washington city paper was also helpful