George Washington University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was very disappointed with their interview process last year (especially when compared to other programs). I interview with 2 different attending physicians for 5 minutes and then with group of PGY-2 residents (also for 5 min). Unfortunately, I am pretty sure two out of the three interviewers glanced at my CV for the first time during the actual interview (right in front of me). I left that morning with a bitter taste in my mouth knowing that I traveled from Hawaii to DC for NADA.

i second that. i interviewed there last year as well with the three 5 minute interviews. i definitely left slightly bitter. if they were just going to go with what was on paper, why bother? decent program, 4 residents/yr, nice virtual simulator, avg #s but their interview day definitely influenced my rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will soon be attending Washington University for Opthamology specializing in retinal surgery, any tips or pointers that you guys would care to share? It would be most appreciated, thanks!

I will soon be attending Washington University for Opthamology specializing in retinal surgery, any tips or pointers that you guys would care to share? It would be most appreciated, thanks!
Are you talking about GEORGE Washington University (which is this forum) or Washington University IN ST LOUIS?

WashU is certainly a premier Ophtho training program (with HEAVY focus on research), but this is GWU (to which I didnt apply but the above people spoke of the interview day...so they can speak more towards GWU's Ophtho than I can)

Retina fellow and still misspelling ophtho?

Srry mna. Cnt be of mcuh hlep.

Glcuk thuogh.

any information on this program? trying to decide between keeping this interview vs wake forest...any pointers would be helpful

and if anyone knows why they are on probation?

Last edited:
My notes from interview:
Pros:
- Great neighborhood in DC, liked the city
- Residents seemed happy
- Gorgeous facilities
- Local VA
- All specialties represented, NEI access

Cons:
- Shares DC with Gtown
- Some attendings seemed a little stiff and formal
- Didn't get a good idea of surgical volume