Status
Not open for further replies.

premed bedhead

10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am having a hard time deciding between these two schools. They seem so similar academically and geographically, as well as in the areas that I am interested in: public health and integrative medicine.

Ultimately, which school is better for a career in clinical practice and public health research/policy? Is either school viewed more favorably by residency directors on the west coast (where I would like to end up for residency)?

One major difference that I can find is the absence of a simulation training at Maryland. Is this a big deal?

Thanks!! :)

Dec 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am having a hard time deciding between these two schools. They seem so similar academically and geographically, as well as in the areas that I am interested in: public health and integrative medicine.

Ultimately, which school is better for a career in clinical practice and public health research/policy? Is either school viewed more favorably by residency directors on the west coast (where I would like to end up for residency)?

One major difference that I can find is the absence of a simulation training at Maryland. Is this a big deal?

Thanks!! :)
Hmm are you sure about the sim thing? I'm pretty sure Maryland has all of that

Ilovewater

7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm pretty sure Maryland has a sim center.

I didn't apply to GWU, but I liked Maryland a lot when I interviewed there. The class schedule is awesome! It seems like you get a lot of free time to study, go out and stay sane, shadow doctors, and volunteer. I also really liked the AHEC rotation in the fourth year where you practice in an underserved area...if I recall correctly.

The major negative for the school is its cost! If you are IS, then it doesn't matter. But the tuition is outrageous for OOS! I just don't know if I can shell out that much for a similar education elsewhere even if I get accepted later. Also, Baltimore isn't for everyone.... It's probably a good place to get clinical experiences though.

premed bedhead

10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks, guys! I suppose my tour guide didn't show us the sim center (or maybe I was just really out of it!), but now the two schools seem even more alike. :confused:

I'm OOS and feel totally shell-shocked by the walloping tuition cost, but at the same time, Maryland's tuition seems similar to any other OOS or private school. I'm really hoping to convert to IS before 2nd semester or 2nd year. I've heard it's difficult to do, but I hope it's possible...

For the record, yearly OOS tuition at Maryland is $46,571 (est. COA $79,336) and yearly tuition at GW is $48,687 (est. COA $71,100). Woow.

Ilovewater

7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks, guys! I suppose my tour guide didn't show us the sim center (or maybe I was just really out of it!), but now the two schools seem even more alike. :confused:

I'm OOS and feel totally shell-shocked by the walloping tuition cost, but at the same time, Maryland's tuition seems similar to any other OOS or private school. I'm really hoping to convert to IS before 2nd semester or 2nd year. I've heard it's difficult to do, but I hope it's possible...

For the record, yearly OOS tuition at Maryland is $46,571 (est. COA $79,336) and yearly tuition at GW is $48,687 (est. COA $71,100). Woow.
Good luck with the bolded part! I hope you get it, but I've heard it's pretty impossible.

Sep 21, 2009
Status
I am a long-time DC and Maryland resident. GW is a great school and DC is a wonderful city (certainly beats Bmore) however, I would recommend Maryland for a few reasons:

1) Money: Even if you do not convert to IS after 1st year, the cost of living in Baltimore is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than DC.

2) Facilities: not only does maryland have a sim center, but they have a very new and beautiful campus -- perhaps the most beautiful campus I visited.

3) Rank and Research: not that this should matter necessarily, but UMD is ranked higher and has exceptional research opportunities -- the Institute for Human Virology is there and a boat-load of NIH funding.

premed bedhead

10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for your help! Does anyone know how Maryland and GW compare in terms of the match? I'm more interested in what percentage of people received their first choice residency, than what number of people got into x residency program.

Aaaand...I would still like to return to California for residency. I'm scared by the low numbers of Maryland med students who leave the state, but I suppose this is due to choice rather than by circumstance. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Sep 21, 2009
Status
I would guess its by choice. A number of good friends of mine from high school and college went to Maryland for med school without thinking twice --they were from there, it was cheaper, and they intended to stay in Maryland afterward. People who go to GW come from everywhere and are thus more likely to go back to "everywhere" afterward. Residency programs know which medical schools are excellent -- part of their job is to know that so just because UMD is a state school, does not mean CA residency programs know nothing about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.