George Washington vs. Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound2004

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school do you think has a better reputation?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're not a michigan resident, GWU easily.

I think it depends on what you wanna do. I have looked at MSU's medical school and both their DO and MD programs are geared towards primary care and rural medicine.

On the other hand, GW is geared more towards much of what most other medical schools are geared towards in bringing all the specialties plus primary care into play and towards health policy and what not if you are into things like public health etc.

My personal choice would be GWU, but then again, I'm biased because I wouldn't mind living half an hour away from AMSA offices and getting to get into the health policy politics.

Members don't see this ad :)
i havent met the kids or experienced much of gw...so i dont much about the things there...but i must say i would have prolly enjoyed my medical education at msu if i were to attend there this upcoming fall.

the kids are great there and are so supportive.

they have an excellent pc ranking but their ranking has fallen because more of their kids have been going into non primary care specialties...

gwu may have a better reputation but id still go to msu.

I might be biased, but MSU has a very supportive environment, and match lists from recent yrs, people are pursing other specialties outside of Pimary care.

What are ur ties to both areas?

if u go to MSU, u could be my classmate, i'm really really cool:horns: :hardy:

Originally posted by lotanna

if u go to MSU, u could be my classmate, i'm really really cool:horns: :hardy:

But if you go to GWU - you'll be mine....and I'm cool too! ;)

GW and we'll go through it together.

Think 10 or 20 years down the line and the experiences you'll have gained being in DC (both clinical and social experiences). Yes East Lansing and the students are nice, supportive, etc., but what's not to say GW students aren't as well. It's what you make of it and want out of it. At least with GW your options for speciality can be better groomed early, as opposed to the primary care focus emphasized at CHM.

Originally posted by JuanRafia
GW and we'll go through it together.

Think 10 or 20 years down the line and the experiences you'll have gained being in DC (both clinical and social experiences). Yes East Lansing and the students are nice, supportive, etc., but what's not to say GW students aren't as well. It's what you make of it and want out of it. At least with GW your options for speciality can be better groomed early, as opposed to the primary care focus emphasized at CHM.

ur biased +pity+
Plus u can easily groom ur interest in any specialty anywhere regardless of where u go

I dunno...It depends on whether you can deal with terrible weather or not, whether you can deal wih being isolated in the mid-west or not, whether you can deal with living in a city where there is never anything to do or not...

I'd take the DC area over East Lansing anytime. You might not have time to do a whole lot, but just the mental impact that knowing you live in a fish bowl can have is worth the second thought...Just the idea that I can get on a train/my car, and in three hours be in NY, NJ, Boston, is peace enough for me...Now, if MSU were in Detroit, that would be a totally different kettle of fish all together, but it isnt

Of course, again, that's just me.

Originally posted by mosoriire
I dunno...It depends on whether you can deal with terrible weather or not, whether you can deal wih being isolated in the mid-west or not, whether you can deal with living in a city where there is never anything to do or not...

I'd take the DC area over East Lansing anytime. You might not have time to do a whole lot, but just the mental impact that knowing you live in a fish bowl can have is worth the second thought...Just the idea that I can get on a train/my car, and in three hours be in NY, NJ, Boston, is peace enough for me...Now, if MSU were in Detroit, that would be a totally different kettle of fish all together, but it isnt

Of course, again, that's just me.

3hrs drive to Chicago(gotta luv the Chi)/4hr train ride!!
45mins to Detroit surburbs
1hr to downtown Detroit/Windsor

7hr drive to DC:D

perhaps a spambot

The GW hospital ED serves the White House, I always thought that was pretty neat.

I think they treated Ronald Reagan (?) when he got shot. Or some other president, I forget.