George Washington vs. U of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GWU vs U of R

• George Washington University

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • University of Rochester

Votes: 93 82.3%

• Total voters

HrryUpNwait

Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not going to give my ideas- just want to hear what everyone has to say...

Members don't see this ad.

Hands down U of R. Cheaper, better ranked, great clinical training, early clinical exposure (get to do one of your rotations during 2nd year), cool biopsychosocial model, affiliated with an undergrad campus, not on probation (debatable if important or not). The only downside is location/weather (brrr). Even so Rochester is a fairly well sized city with things to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Location is the only possible argument for GW. Even so, how much free time do you think you'll have in med school for this to really matter? I chose Roch over Georgetown and Einstein, in spite of NY and DC being great cities. Your friends outside of medicine will tell you to choose based on location, but there are so many more important factors. Roch just moved up 5 spots in the rankings and GW just got put on probation, so it's easy to see which one is headed in the right direction.

Rochester, most definitely.

It was the school that surprised me the most (positive way) of the interview season.

Rochester! Out of the schools that I was accepted to last year, GW was the first one I dropped.

In comparing just a few things about Rochester and GW:

1. I like how my curriculum is structured at Rochester (integrated classes w/ PBL)
2. I am only a first year and already out in physician's offices (doing clinical work in our 1st and 2nd years frees up time in our 3rd year for elective time... Rochester has more elective time than the vast majority of schools)
3. I like the smaller class size
4. I couldn't justify spending the huge amount of money for GWs tuition and housing
5. I got a better "fit" feeling at Rochester

Obviously, these are my reasons and may not be true for you. As for numbers 4 and 5, those are super personal. I also gave up my spot at my cheaper state school to attend Rochester based on fit and happiness. I know there are many proponents to the "go to the cheapest school" statement, but I'm not necessarily one of them. We will all pay off our debts one way or another, and I'd rather enjoy my school for 4 years rather than just try to get by. So, if GW gave you the warm fuzzies, then go for it, regardless of what others say. Both are great schools; can't go wrong w/ either.

Not going to give my ideas- just want to hear what everyone has to say...

Do you have a full scholarship to GW or something? If not, why in the world would you even consider such a comparison? Comparing UR to GWU is analogous to comparing UVA to University of Puerto Rico (better reputation, cheaper, not as good a location but not too bad, and I am equating stigma of being on probation with stigma of being from caribbean med school)..actually I think that analogy works pretty well!

FYI there was an article cited on SDN somewhere about GWU and how they misrepresented themselves to applicant by stating that thier probation was only due to 'administrative issues', when in fact they were put on probation for 'severe infractions' regardint their medical student training..look it up. So it would seem that GWU is:
1. So bad at medical education that the governing goard of medical school put them on probation after GWU ignored several warnings
2. So dishonest with their students that they lied straight-up to incoming and current students about their probationary status.

So i think the choice is easy.

Do you have a full scholarship to GW or something? If not, why in the world would you even consider such a comparison? Comparing UR to GWU is analogous to comparing UVA to University of Puerto Rico (better reputation, cheaper, not as good a location but not too bad, and I am equating stigma of being on probation with stigma of being from caribbean med school)..actually I think that analogy works pretty well!

FYI there was an article cited on SDN somewhere about GWU and how they misrepresented themselves to applicant by stating that thier probation was only due to 'administrative issues', when in fact they were put on probation for 'severe infractions' regardint their medical student training..look it up. So it would seem that GWU is:
1. So bad at medical education that the governing goard of medical school put them on probation after GWU ignored several warnings
2. So dishonest with their students that they lied straight-up to incoming and current students about their probationary status.

So i think the choice is easy.

You know...the University of Puerto Rico's med school is LCME accredited, so it is not really a "caribbean school".

And GW's probation had nothing to do with the quality of the medical education students received. It's true that there were some issues with work hours and how students were treated by some attendings, but the quality of education was never in question and a point was made that there was no problem with performance of graduates in residencies or in USMLE scores.

I can't comment about what info was given to incoming students because I don't know what was said. As a current student, I feel we have now received full information, although some of the details weren't made immediately available. In any case, GW's med school has been around a long time and the administration is working very hard to fix the issues. The probationary status should be going away soon.

Rochester by a mile. Much better school overall, cheaper, better rep, better location, etc. Although Rochester may not be the perfect location, it is much better than the dump that 90% of DC is.

Last edited:
Rochester by a mile. Much better school overall, cheaper, better rep, better location, etc. Although Rochester may not be the perfect location, it is much better than the dump that 90% of DC is.

Now that is just patently wrong. Have you ever actually been to DC?

I too would choose Rochester in this case, because of GW's probation issues and lack of research, but GW clearly has the better location.

I am really fed up with all the misinformation about GW. There's so much emotionally-driven comments about GW, that often time, the truth gets lost. I feel like a majority of SDNers read something bad about a allopathic program and they automatically think the school is horrible. Give me a break; get your facts straight or else your emotionally-charged comments are worthless. If, at best, they only add fuel to the mis-representation of an institution.

First of all, GW has been around for hundreds of years and has ascertained a great national reputation. No one ever questioned GW's reputation pre-probation, and now that there's a probation there's this public hysteria going on in the media, but especially on SDN. For a fact, many schools have been on probation before: (1) Temple, (2) Albany, (3) Finch/RFU, and a few others. If you're curious, Stanford Medical School was 1pt away from a LCME Probation in 1999 (google it if you don't believe me). See how Temple, Albany, and RFU have improved? There's all this love now for Temple, but yet no seem to appreciate the Temple's reached it's current reputation because of its LCME probation a few years back (note: LCME encouraged Temple to buidl the new med center and infuse money into scholarship programs to negate the high post-graduate indebtness).

Second, comparing GW to the carribean is ignorant. There's no comparison between the two. GW stands on solid ground and is a highly recognized academic instituion, with rich history, culture, and academic excellence. There are great schools too in the Carribean, but they do not hold the same caliber.

Third, GW's match list over the past few years have been incredible, with students matching into competitive programs in California, DC, and New England. Sure the match list is much more of an individual's performance, as oppose to the school. But do keep in mind, that the the school, GW, is preparing its students well enough that they are passing with high marks on the first try.

Fifth, do not mis-judge a school's reputation based on its MSAR stats. Yes, GW has somewhat of an average matriculant MCAT/GPA scores among applicants, but this does not mean that the school attracts "low-quality" applicant. Be mindful that GW has an undergraduate program that assures a group of student guranteed admissions into the medical school. Students in this program only has to get a certain baseline score on the MCAT/GPA; thus, their matriculant can lower the the MCAT/GPA for GW. This is something that is apparent for other schools that have early assurance MD programs, but many people fail to factor it in when judging a school by its stats.

I'll be honest, the LCME probation worried me. It made me re-evaluate whether or not I wanted to attend GW. However, I was in love with GW before the LCME probation and I am still today. It's a great school and I am particularly ecstatic that I got accepted. Yes, I interviewed at other higher ranked schools and some of them did not stack up to the environment that GW fosters. I have multiple acceptances and GW still stands out as the front runner. Lastly, I am incredibly sorry for the extra-long post, but I hate this public lynching of an instituion based on emotionally-driven merits. Get the facts then we'll compare. And to the Op, Rochester is a great school. However, choose the school that best fits you, whether it be GW or Rochester.

PS: Anoncurious, you sound like a tool. I am sorry, but your post only ignites anger and adds nothing substantial to the op's question.

Last edited:
I'd go with Rochester as well, my experience there was very positive. They have a great atmosphere, staff, faculty, students and curriculum.

You won't be closing any doors going to either school.

With that said, U of R is less expensive and has a better reputation. The only way I'd recommend GW over U of R for you is if you have some significant ties to DC that give you strong reasons to stick around, or if you want to be involved in politics.

Members don't see this ad :)
you won't be closing any doors going to either school.

With that said, u of r is less expensive and has a better reputation. The only way i'd recommend gw over u of r for you is if you have some significant ties to dc that give you strong reasons to stick around, or if you want to be involved in politics.

+1

I like the action here! Good stuff. Gotta be honest though, the probation doesn't worry me much at all. And I too disagree with comparing GWU to a carib. school.

I am really fed up with all the misinformation about GW. There's so much emotionally-driven comments about GW, that often time, the truth gets lost. I feel like a majority of SDNers read something bad about a allopathic program and they automatically think the school is horrible. Give me a break; get your facts straight or else your emotionally-charged comments are worthless. If, at best, they only add fuel to the mis-representation of an institution.

My comments were not emotionally charged. I have no vested interest in the reputation of GWU. My comments were objectively true and my opinion was one that is shared by a large number of students. I am not misrepresenting your school--in fact, just the opposite! GWU was mis-representing itself by claiming that the probation was due to 'administrative issues'.

First of all, GW has been around for hundreds of years and has ascertained a great national reputation. No one ever questioned GW's reputation pre-probation

That's not true--GWU never had a great reputation to begin with. It's not that people are questioning GWU's reputation now, it's that the (already low) reputation is now even more damaged. By what measure are you saying that GWU had a great reputation? I certainly agree that GWU is a decent school, but 'great' is going way too far.

For a fact, many schools have been on probation before: (1) Temple, (2) Albany, (3) Finch/RFU, and a few others. If you're curious, Stanford Medical School was 1pt away from a LCME Probation in 1999 (google it if you don't believe me). See how Temple, Albany, and RFU have improved? There's all this love now for Temple, but yet no seem to appreciate the Temple's reached it's current reputation because of its LCME probation a few years back (note: LCME encouraged Temple to buidl the new med center and infuse money into scholarship programs to negate the high post-graduate indebtness).

Probation may occur for a number of reasons, but the kind of probation that GWU is currently is much more serious than 'being one point away from probation'. I am quoting from the accrediting agency's report that said that GWU's problems "seriously compromised the quality of the medical education program." (source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/22/AR2009022202031.html). That doesn't sound like a minor infraction to me.

Second, comparing GW to the carribean is ignorant. There's no comparison between the two. GW stands on solid ground and is a highly recognized academic instituion, with rich history, culture, and academic excellence. There are great schools too in the Carribean, but they do not hold the same caliber.

I am pretty sure that the definition of 'probation' means that GWU does not, in fact, stand on solid ground.

Third, GW's match list over the past few years have been incredible, with students matching into competitive programs in California, DC, and New England. Sure the match list is much more of an individual's performance, as oppose to the school. But do keep in mind, that the the school, GW, is preparing its students well enough that they are passing with high marks on the first try.

We finally agree on something (bolded). As far for passing on the first try--give me a break. >90% of medical students at US allo schools pass on the first try regardless of the school they attend.

Fifth, do not mis-judge a school's reputation based on its MSAR stats. Yes, GW has somewhat of an average matriculant MCAT/GPA scores among applicants, but this does not mean that the school attracts "low-quality" applicant. Be mindful that GW has an undergraduate program that assures a group of student guranteed admissions into the medical school. Students in this program only has to get a certain baseline score on the MCAT/GPA; thus, their matriculant can lower the the MCAT/GPA for GW. This is something that is apparent for other schools that have early assurance MD programs, but many people fail to factor it in when judging a school by its stats.

This has no bearing on our discussion.

I'll be honest, the LCME probation worried me. It made me re-evaluate whether or not I wanted to attend GW. However, I was in love with GW before the LCME probation and I am still today. It's a great school and I am particularly ecstatic that I got accepted. Yes, I interviewed at other higher ranked schools and some of them did not stack up to the environment that GW fosters. I have multiple acceptances and GW still stands out as the front runner. Lastly, I am incredibly sorry for the extra-long post, but I hate this public lynching of an instituion based on emotionally-driven merits. Get the facts then we'll compare.

I'm glad that you like GWU and I'm happy that you found a great fit for you. This thread is not about you. This thread is about the OP, who is asking for advice about which school he/she should attend. In offering my advice, I shed light on some FACTS that I felt should become salient so that he/she can make the most informed decision.

And to the Op, Rochester is a great school. However, choose the school that best fits you, whether it be GW or Rochester.

I agree, obviously choose the school that is the best fit..this kind of advice is meaningless though--it's like saying 'buy the car that you like the best'. Obviouslt the OP will do just that, and if it was a clear choice then this thread would never exist. If the OP was already aware of GWU's decline in medical education or their 'cover-up' to prospective/current students, then my post was also useless, but if he was not, then hopefully I was able to shed some light on the truth.

PS: Anoncurious, you sound like a tool. I am sorry, but your post only ignites anger and adds nothing substantial to the op's question.

Thanks for making it personal. I'm sorry you feel like you have to lash out at me to justify your choosing GWU. I DID add something substantial to this thread, even though it may not be what you would like advertised about your school. This thread is NOT about you and certainly not about me. Leave us out of it.

Last edited:
Jeez, vindictive much?

Anoncurious, are you a U. Rochester student? Just curious. EDIT*** scrap that....didn't see the pre-med indication.

As stated before, the probation issue is a big black-eye for GW, but it isn't some scarlet letter for crapdom. The school will rebound from this and likely become stronger from it. Also you shouldn't write long winded retorts defending you stance that you weren't emotionally charged. Maybe you weren't in your original post, but now you are....:rolleyes:

I'm still sticking with U. of Rochester for the OP as I stated above, but it's not like this is a super-duper clear cut choice. Maybe the location or family/significant other ties are making GW an important choice to weigh in his/her head.

Anoncurious, one quick search reveals a few sour feelings towards GW. Any reason why?

Speaking of rankings--take a look at the second paragraph in the article..GWU is ranked Number One!!! The only school on academic probation..beat that Harvard!

Don't apply to GWU..

In a Thread entitled: Pros about GW?

lol, it's kind of funny that this post has no replies..

I interviewed at GW.

When I was trying to convince my student interviewer how much I liked GW, she said

"I know you'll have multiple acceptances in the end (even though you don't have one now), THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT WHICH SCHOOL YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, wink, wink.

I did not choose GW.

Some students have mentioned that GWU will emerge stronger from this probation. My question is how? The school gets very little state financial support, it's alumni endowment is scarce, it's NIH research money is ranked 85th etc.....
So I'm not sure how they'll come out bigger and better without raising the tuition( which already one of the most expensive in the nation) or cutting financial aid.

Some students have mentioned that GWU will emerge stronger from this probation. My question is how? The school gets very little state financial support, it's alumni endowment is scarce, it's NIH research money is ranked 85th etc.....
So I'm not sure how they'll come out bigger and better without raising the tuition( which already one of the most expensive in the nation) or cutting financial aid.

I am not sure that their alumni endowment is scarce and isn't GWU one of the few teaching hospitals that is FOR-profit? If the hospital makes profits that money will be invested into the medical school therefore making it stronger. Just a thought.

I am not sure that their alumni endowment is scarce and isn't GWU one of the few teaching hospitals that is FOR-profit? If the hospital makes profits that money will be invested into the medical school therefore making it stronger. Just a thought.

According to the Washington post:"In the 1990s, GWU's hospital was losing so much money it was starting to eat into the school's relatively small endowment, in part because the patient population includes many uninsured District residents."

To your other point: GWU sold it's teaching hospital and now has only a 20% financial stake in it. Is a 20% shareholding enough financial impetus to turn a medical school around? Remember that GWU has owned that stake since 1997( 12 years now). What were they spending it on before? Will they re-direct the money back to the medical school now that they are on probation ? I hope so.....

If this is true, why wouldn't they have invested in the med school before, thereby avoiding this whole probation fiasco? Also, just because it's for-profit, doesn't mean it actually makes a profit. I have no idea what the hospital's finances are like, but I doubt they make enough profit to dump millions back into the med school. It's probably worth doing a little research on that.

Also, is GW pass/fail? Rochester has a totally pass/fail for the lecture courses.

P.S. Is there a mercy rule for these polls?:laugh:

According to the Washington post:"In the 1990s, GWU's hospital was losing so much money it was starting to eat into the school's relatively small endowment, in part because the patient population includes many uninsured District residents."

To your other point: GWU sold it's teaching hospital and now has only a 20% financial stake in it. Is a 20% shareholding enough financial impetus to turn a medical school around? Remember that GWU has owned that stake since 1997( 12 years now). What were they spending it on before? Will they re-direct the money back to the medical school now that they are on probation ? I hope so.....

GWU sits on a $1 billion endowment- that is for the entire University not just the med school. I took a lot of what the Washington Post article said with a grain of salt- the author seemed pretty motivated to make facts as anti-GW med as possible. They likely spent the money the have made since 1997 on building that huge, expensive, new hospital in 2002 (I think 2002....)

If this is true, why wouldn't they have invested in the med school before, thereby avoiding this whole probation fiasco? Also, just because it's for-profit, doesn't mean it actually makes a profit. I have no idea what the hospital's finances are like, but I doubt they make enough profit to dump millions back into the med school. It's probably worth doing a little research on that.

Also, is GW pass/fail? Rochester has a totally pass/fail for the lecture courses.

P.S. Is there a mercy rule for these polls?:laugh:

They may not have invested it before because private parties were looking to gain the profits- one of the problems with a for-profit teaching hospital. You doubt they can dump millions into it and someone else might bet they can dump millions into it- lets face it-- no one here knows the finances so lets stop guessing and stick with what we know.

OP, it looks like you want to justify going to GW over UR. If that's the case, don't look to us for any personal self-validation or anything. If you like GW better, go. If you don't, don't go.

OP, it looks like you want to justify going to GW over UR. If that's the case, don't look to us for any personal self-validation or anything. If you like GW better, go. If you don't, don't go.

False. I am leaning towards Rochester I just wanted to get a poll to see what the masses would do. I figured more people would choose Rochester, but I had no idea it would be this overwhelming. I am merely trying to defend GWU on the probation issue because I think it is relatively unimportant because it will be old news in a few months. I made this more to get a feel of why people like UR more (like the second yr clinical rotation, the pass/fail, the research). I am also glad to see most people are like me and think it is smart to sacrifice location for the program. So no, not trying to justify something here- just trying to get rid of the probation debate that has been had 1000 times already.

False. I am leaning towards Rochester I just wanted to get a poll to see what the masses would do. I figured more people would choose Rochester, but I had no idea it would be this overwhelming. I am merely trying to defend GWU on the probation issue because I think it is relatively unimportant because it will be old news in a few months. I made this more to get a feel of why people like UR more (like the second yr clinical rotation, the pass/fail, the research). I am also glad to see most people are like me and think it is smart to sacrifice location for the program. So no, not trying to justify something here- just trying to get rid of the probation debate that has been had 1000 times already.

Ah, gotcha. Well, for what it's worth, I would go to UR for the same reasons some of the previous posters have given. I do prefer the metropolitan feel of Rochester itself to DC, but that is just me. DC is a great city but location isn't that important unless you're talking about proximity to family or aging relatives. Location as far as "culture" and "nightlife" shouldn't mean much in the entire analysis, IMO.

Unimportant? So the guys at LCME were bored and decided to create a little flare? Hmmh.......
The reason the school is on probation is for years of neglect of students' needs and complaints. List of defaults:

"GWU has done an inadequate job of monitoring students' time with patients and ensuring that those clinical experiences relate to classroom"

"The committee cited inconsistent oversight of the clinical experiences .........The committee noted pressure to see patients might affect the time doctors have for teaching and research. "

"Accreditors noted a potential conflict at GWU because the ombudsman who handled student complaints also led the committee that evaluated students"

"Students complained of mistreatment at higher-than-average rates...... primarily belittlement and humiliation"

"Serious conflict of interest involving its top official. They said the conflict provided an incentive to keep the institution's focus on improving its hospital's bottom line rather than investing in medical education, research and training"

So yeah, I can see why they used that 20% to build another hospital. They seem more to running a business than a medical school.Every school has its problem . However, GWU knew and was cited for these problems for years but didn't do much about it.
I'm still going apply to GWU this year(if it makes through the probation) but it's more for back-up(like 13,000 other applicants). I won't go there if I have another option.

Thanks, Anon and Mega. I was trying to decide between GW and Tulane and Tulane it is. Withdrawing from GW today.

I am on the alternate list at GW right now, and I had posted on other threads earlier about GW's misrepresentations about its problems... I thought people might want to see exactly what they told us:

"We are contacting you on behalf of the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences. We are pleased that you are successfully moving through the application process and we want to keep you informed of a recent development.
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences completed earlier this month its accreditation process which reviewed the program leading to the MD degree.
As a result of the review, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) placed the program on probationary status. All School programs remain fully accredited during the probationary period.
The School is already developing an action plan to correct the noted areas that did not meet the LCME's standards including curriculum management, lounge and study space for students, and internal administrative processes. The School has up to 24 months to address these issues and plans to complete its work within the academic year.
The School is committed to academic excellence and to providing a superior education for its medical students. The LCME commended the School for providing students with a strong educational experience and for its instructional expertise and diverse student body. Nevertheless, the School readily accepts the need to rememdy the LCME's concerns and will work promptly and diligently to do so.
The LCME is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the MD degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools. All medical schools must undergo review every eight years to be accredited by the LCME through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Medical Association (AMA)."

They only very briefly mention the issues that the school has... I do not doubt that they will fix these issues and that the school will be fine, and while the Post article was a bit sensational, there is probably some truth behind it, which its seems that GW tried to dull down. Who really knows though... After further consideration I will probably go there if I get in because I honestly loved it there- the student body is very diverse (in experience- lots of people who are not right out of undergrad), which I think may influence their lower MCAT scores and GPAs. But then again I didn't get into a school with as great a reputation as U Rochester

Just to provide a little contrast, I remember at my interview at Rochester that the last time LCME accredited them, they were singled out as having exemplary medical education and were given the longest (8 years) period of accreditation. The same was said back in 2001 for URoch when they received a perfect score from LCME. Something to consider.

On a brighter note, my intention was not to ignite a flame war with one of the other poster. My intention was to dispel sensationalist reporting, whether it be from SDN or the media. To the Op, I think you'll have an incredible learning opportunity wherever you do decide to go. All US Allopathic schools are tough to get in, and feel blessed that you have incredible options. We're all going to be great physicians; so enough with the hating--lets be constructive with our advices.

I would pick U of Rochester since IMHO and based on what I saw during residency interviews there and have heard about the two schools, I believe U of Rochester is stronger. I was extremely impressed with their medical center and faculty. However, if you just want to live in DC and/or are interested in politics and/or health care policy, that might be a reason to go to GWU. I'm sure they'll get off of probation. I know someone who went there and got a good ER residency. However, my general impression is that the teaching will be better at Rochester, and you likely will have an overall better educational experience. It's cold as hell up there, though.

I would pick U of Rochester since IMHO and based on what I saw during residency interviews there and have heard about the two schools, I believe U of Rochester is stronger. I was extremely impressed with their medical center and faculty. However, if you just want to live in DC and/or are interested in politics and/or health care policy, that might be a reason to go to GWU. I'm sure they'll get off of probation. I know someone who went there and got a good ER residency. However, my general impression is that the teaching will be better at Rochester, and you likely will have an overall better educational experience. It's cold as hell up there, though.

Can you briefly elaborate on this?? Thank you.

...It's cold as hell up there, though.

Oxymoron, eh? ;)

Yes, it's cold here. But, take it from a person who is not a fan of the cold... you get used to it! And the summers are lovely here :thumbup:

I interviewed at GW.

When I was trying to convince my student interviewer how much I liked GW, she said

"I know you'll have multiple acceptances in the end (even though you don't have one now), THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT WHICH SCHOOL YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND, wink, wink.

I did not choose GW.

Hmmm... i think we may have had the same interviewer, hahaha.

Gdubb is getting spanked like a bad baby!