George Washington vs Univ of Colorado

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KlausB

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start off by saying that I am most interested in pursuing psychiatry (although open to change) with a residency in California. Which school would help me most in reaching this goal and which would be the best decision for me? Both have similar average Step 1 scores (228 vs. 229).

George Washington

Pros:
-D.C. is an exciting diverse city
-good opportunities for health policy
-Slightly cheaper than CU; will cost me around 292,706 for all four years (including the scholarship I received)

Cons:
-Preclinicals are shortened to 1.5 years (faster pace)
-Lower rank (59)
-GW students seem meh about GW's new curriculum
-Not very aesthetically pleasing building

Univ of Colorado:

Pros:
-The campus was beautiful with new facilities
-Students seemed genuinely happy to be there
-Higher Rank (37)
-Beautiful nature! (I love hiking and will take up snowboarding)
-I like the curriculum design of CU better than GW
-Closer to home so can visit more frequently for cheaper

Cons:
-Will cost me around 331,401 for all four years (including the scholarship I received).
-Less diversity
-Less to do than in GW and might get bored?
-Will be much colder than DC (I'm from LA....)

Also, I am a queer Asian-American male and I want to build/be a part of a safe supportive community outside of friends I will make in medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think CU is up to 32 this year.
Winter in Denver is comparable or milder than DC.
And finally

If you get bored in Denver, Colorado you’re doing life wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
What are their respective residency directow scores? Do you care about research? might be easier to find at colorado, but then again DC has NIH next door. also 1.5 year preclinical cirriculum is usually a good thing

Reactions: 1 user
Residency Director Score:

Colorado: 3.6 for Research ; 3.9 Primary Care

GW: 3.3 for Research ; 3.5 Primary Care

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are good schools. GW is much more selective, but they’re more into fit than stats. I like GW a lot (am matriculating there) but can’t go wrong with either schools. I’m not a queer asian like yourself (quite the opposite I guess) but dc has awesome lgbt treatment potential. The med school also just got new upgrades that will be ready for our class and they are also likely making it P/F from H/P/F

Reactions: 1 users
Both are good schools. GW is much more selective, but they’re more into fit than stats. I like GW a lot (am matriculating there) but can’t go wrong with either schools. I’m not a queer asian like yourself (quite the opposite I guess) but dc has awesome lgbt treatment potential. The med school also just got new upgrades that will be ready for our class and they are also likely making it P/F from H/P/F

Would it start being P/F this Fall????

My vote is Colorado! Higher ranking, closer to family. Denver is still a liberal city (though not as much as DC).

I'll start off by saying that I am most interested in pursuing psychiatry (although open to change) with a residency in California. Which school would help me most in reaching this goal and which would be the best decision for me? Both have similar average Step 1 scores (228 vs. 229).

George Washington

Pros:
-D.C. is an exciting diverse city
-good opportunities for health policy
-Slightly cheaper than CU; will cost me around 292,706 for all four years (including the scholarship I received)

Cons:
-Preclinicals are shortened to 1.5 years (faster pace)
-Lower rank (59)
-GW students seem meh about GW's new curriculum
-Not very aesthetically pleasing building

Univ of Colorado:

Pros:
-The campus was beautiful with new facilities
-Students seemed genuinely happy to be there
-Higher Rank (37)
-Beautiful nature! (I love hiking and will take up snowboarding)
-I like the curriculum design of CU better than GW
-Closer to home so can visit more frequently for cheaper

Cons:
-Will cost me around 331,401 for all four years (including the scholarship I received).
-Less diversity
-Less to do than in GW and might get bored?
-Will be much colder than DC (I'm from LA....)

Also, I am a queer Asian-American male and I want to build/be a part of a safe supportive community outside of friends I will make in medical school.