George Washington vs. Univ. TN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vandypatty

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys have any thoughts on a choice between these two? Cost is obviously a big difference but aside from that, how do reputations stack up? I've been told that if I'm interested in emergency medicine (which I am), than it's hard to beat the amount of freedom and hands-on experience they give you at Tennessee (being in Memphis, I hear it's like a knife and gun show daily). However, GWU is obviously pretty well respected as well. If any of you guys have any personal experience or opinions on these two schools I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a gunner, you may be happier at GW. GW is more 'known' simply because it represents students from all over the country who therefore end up going all over the country for residency. Many PD's aren't going to have much experience with U of T students, and they will simply view it as a normal state school where a lot of residents of tennessee decide to matriculate. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, and although PD's will be more familar with GW students they may feel that they are students who had to leave their state, or wanted to go out of state and couldn't get into a higher ranked school. So it's hard to do a direct comparison of the reputations, but I think it's safe to say that there won't be much advantage in going to either school. I will go on a limb and say that the top 15% of UT students are more elite than the top 15% of GW students simply because there is no real reason for really good students to matriculate at GW and there are always some people who will want to go to their state school. As for the middle of the classes, GW students are probably more 'qualified'

I'd be a lot happier at a school like U of T, and in fact chose a similar school, but you're still going to run into gunnerish types of U of T. I think the real question is do you want to leave home and go to DC or do you want to stay in tennessee? That's what your decision should be based on

If i am not mistaken UT had unbelievably high stats for their accepted class this year. Maybe a sign that they are improving?? Personally, I just hope it doesnt carry over to when i apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
If i am not mistaken UT had unbelievably high stats for their accepted class this year. Maybe a sign that they are improving?? Personally, I just hope it doesnt carry over to when i apply.

you mean for the 2004-2005 year? How would they know what the stats are yet? Of course the stats of accepted students are going to be higher at this point; they haven't moved to the waitlist yet. I'm sure there are gunner tennessee residents holding onto UT along with Vandy, emory, and duke right now, even though they know they are not going to UT. Anytime an administration leaks information about the stats of their next class before it is set, that's a bad sign because it indicates the admin is full of it.

I wouldn't worry about southeastern state schools ever having super high stats. I don't see it ever happening, just because of the state preferances at each of these schools and the total number of slots. Even at the two most gunnerish of all the southeastern state schools, UAB and UNC, the stats of the students accepted aren't that high.

southbelle said:
you mean for the 2004-2005 year? How would they know what the stats are yet?

It's what i've heard from people who've been accepted there this year.

Oh as for the OP's questions. Personally it would be a hard decision since I am very conscious of going into debt but also don't really want to live in Memphis. I would probably go with UTMEM in the long run though since it is considerably cheaper and I want to do trauma and here it is top notch from some residents at UT medical that went there.

Cerberus said:
It's what i've heard from people who've been accepted there this year.

Oh, don't pay attention to that. Trust me when the final numbers come out the averages will be very similar to previous years(meaning fairly attainable for most students).

They are probably just gunnerish types who want to feel like their class consists of an especially 'select' group of people. In fact, if you are headed there in the next year or two I would remember these people and try to avoid them.

anyone know any words that rhyme with gunner?

dookbloo said:
anyone know any words that rhyme with gunner?

Hunger.

To the OP: I'd choose UT if your instate, but since i haven't applied yet my advice is as good as poop on a stick.

Thanks for all your help...from what I've heard all around, it's really hard to make a bad decision and there is really no such thing as a bad med school.

If you're interested in E-med, GW is a great place to go. Their E-med program is highly ranked, and you have the chance to do rotations at Washington Hospital Center which is nationally known as a top trauma center.

I have heard not so good things (from UT Memphis medical students) regarding the first two years. The bottom line for the classroom is that they do not support the med students too much and they are highly unorganized classes. But, the last two years are just awesome as far as hands on goes. So if you are truly into EM then UT would be great for you will come out with great experiences from there albeit a sucky first two years..

Hey Southbelle,

Why do you always consider gunners when talking about schools? It's just really strange.

To the OP: efex101 said it pretty much. Memphis has great clinical training, but the 1st two years seem like they suck more than most.

Members don't see this ad :)
southbelle said:
Oh, don't pay attention to that. Trust me when the final numbers come out the averages will be very similar to previous years(meaning fairly attainable for most students).

They are probably just gunnerish types who want to feel like their class consists of an especially 'select' group of people. In fact, if you are headed there in the next year or two I would remember these people and try to avoid them.

Averages for matriculating students at UT in years past have been 27-28 MCAT and 3.5 gpa. Accepted students for this coming year average 3.7 gpa and 30 MCAT...granted, many of those students will go to other schools and the average will come down. But, considering that the average waitlisted student for the coming year has a gpa of 3.5 and MCAT of 28, this year's class will have the highest stats yet, even if they move fairly deep into the waitlist. Numbers are from UT's Associate Dean of Admissions, who himself has said that this is the best pool of applicants that UT has ever seen. Better avoid me Cerb. ;)

In year's past, UT's step 1 scores have been right about at the national average. I think they're doing pretty well, considering that the average student at UT comes in with numbers a little below the national average for matriculating medical students.

p.s. "good," "successfull," or "well-qualified" should not be confused with "gunner." Gunner has more to do with attitude than with accomplishment.

Hi,

My two cents... go with where you will be happiest! How did you feel during your interviews? Where do you want to live? I know when I went to all my interviews, I was happiest in DC just walking around and breathing the fresh air with all the beautiful scenery. Also, the people seemed the nicest there. What were your impressions of both Memphis vs. DC? I think no matter where you choose, you'll come out a tops physician and your education will be what you make of it. Just be happy!!! :)

Fred

As far as cities go...Memphis isn't really dazzling or anything. It's also a pretty rough city as far as crime, but then again from a physician's standpoint that means you stay busy and get a lot of experience. D.C.'s not exactly crime free either, but I think it may be a little prettier. I think I'd be happy in either city and I'm more concerned with getting the best possible education. Does anyone know how the specific ER depts (my interest) compare at these two schools?

vandypatty said:
As far as cities go...Memphis isn't really dazzling or anything. It's also a pretty rough city as far as crime, but then again from a physician's standpoint that means you stay busy and get a lot of experience. D.C.'s not exactly crime free either, but I think it may be a little prettier. I think I'd be happy in either city and I'm more concerned with getting the best possible education. Does anyone know how the specific ER depts (my interest) compare at these two schools?

I know GW has a level 1 trauma center in the brand new hospital. I'm not sure about TN.

vandypatty said:

Memphis Trauma Center, the Med, is tied for the busiest trauma center in the country. It's not that Memphis is terribly large, but the Med is the only level 1 trauma center within over 100 miles. It also has the only helicopter access for hundreds of miles, so it serves deep into Arkansas and Mississippi in addition to West Tennessee, so you will see everything from farm accidents to multiple gsw's in a day. They also have one of the busiest orthopaedic clinics and one of the "sickest" (both top 3, I think) in the country. Although funding for the med was doubled this year, it is still quite poor and understaffed, so medical students get to do tons of work. Also, UT is the only medical school that has access to the Med (and Methodist University, and LeBonheur, and the VA), so you won't be competing with many other students for exposure. You will be putting in chest tubes and delivering babies (many babies, especially if you rotate through ob gyn late in the year). UT is one of the best schools in the country for the clinical years and, with The Med, it is perhaps best in emergency medicine.

hope that helps

Yeah it does a lot...thanks for the info.

southbelle said:
If you are a gunner, you may be happier at GW.

No. Please don't come here if you're a gunner. We're not interested. Thanks.

freddydpt said:
What's a gunner? I'm slow sometimes...

Stereotype: Gunners are the most annoying pre-meds you can imagine. everything they do is for med school applications. classes serve to get them A's to build up the gpa so they can get into a better med school. They learn the material to get the grade, not to get an understanding of the material. They're the ones asking "questions" in class that aren't really questions, but reiterations of what the prof just said (making themselves look "smart" in the hope of getting a better letter of rec). You know the type :)

but then again, after getting to know a couple of gunners I realized that they were just extremely motivated, some having already overcome a lot of circumstances just to get to college in the first place and they didn't want to spoil anything.

btw, I've only ever seen the term "gunner" on sdn...

Vandypatty, I pretty much agree with most posters' ideas about the positives of each school but you have to ask yourself another question. Considering you want to do ER for residency, where do you want to end up doing it? If you want to end up in Tennnessee after it all, it may be worth it to go to UT. If you want to increase your options in the match, GW has a bigger name and although The Med in Memphis may be slightly a better place to get hands on experience (both are fantastic), GW's name will go farther in residency director's eyes for sure out west, northeast, & most places in the midwest.
Also, what about personal growth? Isn't this what life's about too? Where will you find more experiences to make you a more mature and knowing person? Only you can answer that one......But hey, all this being said, if you got 22" rims with spinners and gold in your teeth I think you'll be happier in Memphis ;)

Dude,

Go to TN, GW is way too expensive...ok, I'll admit. Im on the waitlist at GW and its killing me..haha. Dont know much about TN so I couldnt really compare the two. Good luck on your decision. Take care..:)

DOCTORSAIB

wlaclbr said:
Also, what about personal growth? Isn't this what life's about too? Where will you find more experiences to make you a more mature and knowing person? Only you can answer that one......But hey, all this being said, if you got 22" rims with spinners and gold in your teeth I think you'll be happier in Memphis ;)

booo! :mad: ;) Although there is some truth to this stereotype, you mustn't forget that she qould be equally happy as a well-to-do suburban soccer mom that is totally afraid of black people or a mulleted 30-something man with rebel flag stickers all over his old pick-up or firebird.

oh, and don't think that UT students don't match terribly well. I would imagine that overall, the average GW student matches better than the average UT student, but that's to be expected since GW draws competitively from across the country while UT draws competitively across the state of TN. Despite the fact that UT may be dealt a little less selective student body, about 80% (if I recall correctly) of residency directors say that their residents from UT are better or much better than their average resident. So, while UT's name might not be as well know amongst medical students and pre-medical students, it has a very good reputation amongst residency directors. :D

All you guys rock for throwing in your 2 cents. I really appreciate it.

menemotxi said:
Hey Southbelle,

Why do you always consider gunners when talking about schools? It's just really strange.

To the OP: efex101 said it pretty much. Memphis has great clinical training, but the 1st two years seem like they suck more than most.
cause she has nothing else to talk about, and even then she doesnt even know what she is talking about 99.9% of the time.