George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

njshibby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm on the fence on whether or not I'm going to apply to GW..i was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions on the school, student life, facilities...thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

njshibby said:
Hi, I'm on the fence on whether or not I'm going to apply to GW..i was wondering if anyone out there had any opinions on the school, student life, facilities...thanks so much

pm me and I'll spill my damn guts to you

edit: I mean that in a good way! :D

njshibby said:

Hi there,
GW is a private, urban medical school located in Foggy Bottom in Washington, DC. It has a fairly large medical school class located in a building that was constructed in around 1974. The University dates back to 1821 but the medical school is younger. GW University Hospital rebuilt in 2003 and is located next to the medical school building.

The library, classrooms and labs are all located within the medical school building. There is a computer lab for medical student located on the second floor of the library which is pretty modern.

The clinical affiliates for GW are GW University Hospital, Holy Cross Hospital, Washington Hospital Center (though Georgetown is now owned by the same group that owns WHC), Childrens Hospital National Medical Center and Inova Fairfax Hospital.

The curriculum has lectures mixed with Problem Based Learning. There is a fairly strong faculty in the school. The clinical faculty tends not to have the national reputation of Georgetown but the GW clinical faculty is very dedicated to the professonal development of the medical students and excellent instructors. Since the school is private, it is fairly expensive in terms of tuition. Add that to the expense of living in the Washington DC Metro area and you can run up quite a tab for your medical education.

GW is a good but expensive medical school located in a great city. The students seem to enjoy attending there are seem to be fairly cooperative. The school seems to attract many students from California, New York, Utah and across the country.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
njbmd said:
Hi there,
GW is a private, urban medical school located in Foggy Bottom in Washington, DC. It has a fairly large medical school class located in a building that was constructed in around 1974. The University dates back to 1821 but the medical school is younger. GW University Hospital rebuilt in 2003 and is located next to the medical school building.

The library, classrooms and labs are all located within the medical school building. There is a computer lab for medical student located on the second floor of the library which is pretty modern.

The clinical affiliates for GW are GW University Hospital, Holy Cross Hospital, Washington Hospital Center (though Georgetown is now owned by the same group that owns WHC), Childrens Hospital National Medical Center and Inova Fairfax Hospital.

The curriculum has lectures mixed with Problem Based Learning. There is a fairly strong faculty in the school. The clinical faculty tends not to have the national reputation of Georgetown but the GW clinical faculty is very dedicated to the professonal development of the medical students and excellent instructors. Since the school is private, it is fairly expensive in terms of tuition. Add that to the expense of living in the Washington DC Metro area and you can run up quite a tab for your medical education.

GW is a good but expensive medical school located in a great city. The students seem to enjoy attending there are seem to be fairly cooperative. The school seems to attract many students from California, New York, Utah and across the country.

That was good. :thumbup: You should write a blurb for every school, njbmd.

One thing though, I wouldn't exactly call the school "younger" than the university, as it was only founded 4 years later in 1825, and is the11th oldest school in the U.S.

To the OP, I would apply if you have specific reasons why you would really like to attend such as location, curriculum, focus (which is more clinical than some schools), etc. Also, apply sooner rather than later! I think that an early app is especially important at GW. :luck:

njbmd said:
Hi there,

You writes purty.