Georgetown 2008 Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyseppo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone going to Georgetown this coming August? Or are you staying away from SDN after everything Mrs. Sullivan mentioned in her speech? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

yay, a georgetown thread! gtown's the plan for me too :) you found a place to live yet?

Yay! People I will come to know :) Have not yet found a place to stay, though I am getting those email lists of available apartments and such. Have you? Cather, any suggestions on where to live? I think I'm going to need a roommate as well, as I probably won't be able to afford living on my own. Do you both have cars?

Members don't see this ad :)
sunnyseppo said:
Is anyone going to Georgetown this coming August? Or are you staying away from SDN after everything Mrs. Sullivan mentioned in her speech? ;)

What? Did Ms. Sullivan mention not to roam around SDN forums or something? I got an interview there but didn't hear her mentioning SDN.

:confused:

mm yeah, i have a car, but i guess whether or not i bring it depends on where i'm living. parking is crazy expensive, and i don't have DC plates yet.

Hello future classmates. I will be at Georgetown this August! See you all in orientation!

Thanks cather!
T.T.David: Mrs. Sullivan remarked on her distaste for the negative SDN comments regarding G-town, her infamous speech, etc.
Personally, I love the cura personalis aspect of G-town... and I know that it's going to be a tough 4 years, but isn't it tough everywhere?
Must be perfectly frank here: Just got offered a place at UCSD, and am struggling with decision making. I'm a California resident, so the $30,000 discount/year is sadly a slight factor... :(

sunnyseppo said:
Thanks cather!
T.T.David: Mrs. Sullivan remarked on her distaste for the negative SDN comments regarding G-town, her infamous speech, etc.
Personally, I love the cura personalis aspect of G-town... and I know that it's going to be a tough 4 years, but isn't it tough everywhere?
Must be perfectly frank here: Just got offered a place at UCSD, and am struggling with decision making. I'm a California resident, so the $30,000 discount/year is sadly a slight factor... :(

Wow, we must be careful then....she might be one of the SDNers!!!! :)

Thanks for your response anyway. I am on the waitlist for GU but already have an acceptance at UCD. I am still feeling like I should wait until GU gives me an acceptance to make an educated decision. Right now I have no choice.

Cheers.

hmmmm, maybe those negative comments have some basis....picking georgetown over any uc is absolutely absurd.

Merkon, please do elaborate. (Good grief, the ucsd 2008 thread isn't being so flattering towards sd at the moment either). oh my goodness, where am i going.

sunnyseppo,
Definitely think you should go to UCSD. Paying $30,000/year less by going to UCSD is definitely worth it, especially if you're thinking about going into primary care. Someone told me that at Georgetown students end up shelling out around $400,000 by the time their loans are paid off. I think it would be difficult if you went to Georgetown to feel like you had the option of going into primary care since your income would be so much less than a subspecialty. I also think you should check out this thread: Georgetown Money The information from the med student in this link is pretty disturbing. It seems that being able to graduate from UCSD in four years is a much safer bet than being able to graduate from Georgetown. Also, if you are thinking about primary care, UCSD has some great programs (Student Run Free Clinic, Diversity and Community Partnerships, etc.). I think this is probably one of the main reasons why they're ranked so high for primary care in USNEWs. Got to UCSD, pay less money, become a doctor, and feel like you can go into any field of medicine you choose. Hope I have helped you out a little bit in your decision. Good Luck!!!!

yeah sunnyseppo, i'd pick UCSD too, although that means one fewer person i'll know at gtown :( i spent spring break in la jolla/del mar, and you're from cali so i'm sure you know how nice it is out there. the financial situation at georgetown isn't as bad rumored--my friend's mom is a cardiologist at gtown hospital, and she says there's been steady improvement since 2000. if you want to go into a specialty, or if you're interested in health policy stuff (i'm doing a policy program there), gtown's a good place to go. but yeah, primary care's a great, financially-reasonable option out of UCSD, in addition to the flexibility of choosing a specialty if you'd like, and the amount of money you'll save on tuition is more than enough reason to stay in california.

Hello new Hoyas-

I just finished my first year at Gtown and have to say i had an amazing year. Don't get me wrong...it sucks when the sh#% hits the fan and you have five exams in five weeks but the good times are great. The people there are amazing, you become very close to your classmates, and have a truly memorable year.

If you guys have any questions just IM me and i'll try to answer them the best i can: dukeblue02. I'm not really on this thing much so i might not read it if you reply here.

As for housing, i would suggest coming to DC and looking for housing personally rather than relying on the sheet georgeen gives you (although it's a great resource). We found our house last year just walking around burleith. This is just my advice, but i would recommend looking for housing closer to campus your first year rather than communting and saving marginally on housing. You'll appreciate the convenience when you have labs and classes that run till 5pm and during exams and such if you want to come to campus to study. A lot of us really liked the convenience of walking home for lunch, before afternoon classes, or just to run errands on campus. It's up to you though.

Good luck and congrats to everyone coming next fall. You're gonna have a great time in DC and at Georgetown!

beambright said:
sunnyseppo,
Definitely think you should go to UCSD. Paying $30,000/year less by going to UCSD is definitely worth it, especially if you're thinking about going into primary care. Someone told me that at Georgetown students end up shelling out around $400,000 by the time their loans are paid off. I think it would be difficult if you went to Georgetown to feel like you had the option of going into primary care since your income would be so much less than a subspecialty. I also think you should check out this thread: Georgetown Money The information from the med student in this link is pretty disturbing. It seems that being able to graduate from UCSD in four years is a much safer bet than being able to graduate from Georgetown. Also, if you are thinking about primary care, UCSD has some great programs (Student Run Free Clinic, Diversity and Community Partnerships, etc.). I think this is probably one of the main reasons why they're ranked so high for primary care in USNEWs. Got to UCSD, pay less money, become a doctor, and feel like you can go into any field of medicine you choose. Hope I have helped you out a little bit in your decision. Good Luck!!!!

Fake poster! Don't listen to this malicious, conniving, self-serving troll.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=133322&page=2

I'll be there, too! See you all at orientation!! I can't wait!!

I got an apartment within walking distance to class (I already live in the DC area, which made it easier). In case anyone's still looking for housing, other good sources, in addition to Georgeen's list, are washingtoncitypaper.com & washingtondc.craigslist.org.

Hi everyone! I'm going to Georgetown, too! Looking forward to meeting everyone, but I can't believe orientation starts on Wednesday. :eek: As for having a car. . . I don't have one, but I live a mile away from school and am comtemplating getting a Vespa.

wow i cant believe people are picking Gtown over any UC either. UCSD and UCD are excellent medical schools. UCSD is one of the top medical schools in the country. They are strong in both primary care and research opportunities. The location is nice. Doing well at SD can set you up for any competitive residency. Yeah the long lectures suck, but there are a lot of schools like this and I know that most med students would prolly prefer this style of learning since that is what they are used to from their undergraduate education anyway.

UCD is definitely an up and coming school. A "sleeper" school of sorts. An excellent primary care school with a growing emphasis in their research opportunities as well. They have new personnel in admissions that are working hard to make the program even better. Their new "college system" (popularly related to the Harry Potter - Hogwart's style of class breakdown) is to promote a stronger connectivity between the M1-2-3 and 4s and the faculty. And friendly sports tournaments between the colleges sound fun as well. They have arguably one of the best student run clinic systems. etc...

and if you are a CA resident, its just hella cheaper as well.