Georgetown and Dartmouth impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkflaneur

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing impressions from anyone who has visited Dartmouth or Georgetown. I have an acceptance at my state school and can't afford to go on too many more interviews. Any thoughts about these schools? I've heard very good things about Dartmouth, though I'm not sure how I feel about the location. I don't know anything about Georgetown. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bkflaneur said:
I'd be interested in hearing impressions from anyone who has visited Dartmouth or Georgetown. I have an acceptance at my state school and can't afford to go on too many more interviews. Any thoughts about these schools? I've heard very good things about Dartmouth, though I'm not sure how I feel about the location. I don't know anything about Georgetown. Thanks.

georgetown was the one place i visited that i actively disliked...i think it's the kind of place that you either really like or really don't. it's got a distinctive curriculum and feel...very service- and clinically-oriented, which is cool, but it's actually a mandatory part of the curriculum. i didn't appreciate the inflexibility that that resulted in. also, it's not that strong of a research institution, and i'm very much into research and may end up doing MD/PhD...so it wasn't a good choice for me for that reason either.

on the flip side, i liked the fact that you could get an MD/Master's in complimentary and alternative medicine...not that i would get it, but just being somewhere that so strongly recognized the validity of alternative approaches was appealing. even still, the weird vibe i got from the students and my interviewer, and the stuff in the previous paragraph, gave me an overall negative impression of the place.

bkflaneur said:
I gotta say that if money is tight, don't go to Georgetown. It's not a bad school, it's just that they interview SO many people and they place the vast majority in their "competitive applicant pool", from which pretty much only the applicants who write an additional persuasive essay on why Georgetown is the best fit for them get accepted. That and the school is uber expensive for what I think you get in terms of facilities. Had I known all this before I wouldn't have gone for the interview. But that's just my opinion. Congrats on the acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
MrBurns10 said:
I gotta say that if money is tight, don't go to Georgetown. It's not a bad school, it's just that they interview SO many people and they place the vast majority in their "competitive applicant pool", from which pretty much only the applicants who write an additional persuasive essay on why Georgetown is the best fit for them get accepted. That and the school is uber expensive for what I think you get in terms of facitilies. Had I known all this before I wouldn't have gone for the interview. But that's just my opinion. Congrats on the acceptance!

That's helpful. Thank you.

I'm sure you've heard this before but a big factor for a lot of people re: Dartmouth is it's location. I visited and was surprised by how isolated it is. I prefer rural areas, having grown up in a tiny town and attended a small college that is widely considered to be in the sticks, so I was surprised when I felt a bit claustrophobic at Dartmouth, particularly when I thought about the numerous years I'd have to be there if I was a DMS student. Of course there are many other, perhaps more important, factors to consider, but it's something to keep in mind.

razen_x said:
I'm sure you've heard this before but a big factor for a lot of people re: Dartmouth is it's location. I visited and was surprised by how isolated it is. I prefer rural areas, having grown up in a tiny town and attended a small college that is widely considered to be in the sticks, so I was surprised when I felt a bit claustrophobic at Dartmouth, particularly when I thought about the numerous years I'd have to be there if I was a DMS student. Of course there are many other, perhaps more important, factors to consider, but it's something to keep in mind.

yes, location is definitely a factor. if dartmouth were in a bigger city, i would be much more excited to spend four years there. i like the outdoors, and i think i could make myself happy in hanover. but it definitely feels isolated.