Georgetown competitve applicant pool

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minnie2240

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've so missed SDN while Ive been on vacation but lucky me I come home to a letter from Georgetown that I am now in the competitive applicant pool. Can anyone clarify for me how that differs from the waitlist???

Also, I know they said to write a letter if you really want to go there. When do send this letter? Now? Or at the end of April when they are done interviewing?

Thanks guys!! Have a happy new year.

Members don't see this ad.

Make you write a letter because you're in a competitive pool? Hehe.

But Georgetown seems to be BIG on picking applicants that REALLY want to go there + legacy/alumni stuff... guess they love loyal students... nothing wrong w/ that.

Yeah...Its a little ridiculous. I'm hoping though that I'll have more of a chance than waitlisted ppl... Or do they not have a waitlist?

I dont know. Too confusing for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
minnie2240 said:
Yeah...Its a little ridiculous. I'm hoping though that I'll have more of a chance than waitlisted ppl... Or do they not have a waitlist?

I dont know. Too confusing for me.

competitive applicant pool and waitlist = same thing

yeah, gin is right - the competitive applicant pool is the waitlist (there aren't any separate categories). if georgetown is your top choice, then write the letter and send it now. i got the impression that, if it's not where you really want to be, then they'll see right through that in your letter. so, write one that's well thought out.

if i might ask, when was your interview?

medstylee said:
yeah, gin is right - the competitive applicant pool is the waitlist (there aren't any separate categories). if georgetown is your top choice, then write the letter and send it now. i got the impression that, if it's not where you really want to be, then they'll see right through that in your letter. so, write one that's well thought out.

So if I'm invited for ran interview and the invite states that I am in the competitive applicant pool, are they BLANTENTLY inviting my for an interview for the waitlist??

mazeymaze said:
So if I'm invited for ran interview and the invite states that I am in the competitive applicant pool, are they BLANTENTLY inviting my for an interview for the waitlist??

you're invite says you're in the competitive applicant pool? that's sounds like either a mistake or a misunderstanding. i don't think they would do that.

medstylee said:

Oh ok. I got it. So its basically a nicer way of saying you are on the waitlist. How sweet of them! The problem is, is that it is my 2nd choice right now so I have to wait and see if I get into the my first choice before I write the letter. I already wrote them a letter of interest after my interview so I wish I had something more persuasive to say.

I interviewed on 11/11.

minnie2240 said:
Oh ok. I got it. So its basically a nicer way of saying you are on the waitlist. How sweet of them! The problem is, is that it is my 2nd choice right now so I have to wait and see if I get into the my first choice before I write the letter. I already wrote them a letter of interest after my interview so I wish I had something more persuasive to say.

I interviewed on 11/11.

eh, you know, you don't have to send it in immediately. i guess maybe my original post sounded that way. i'm sure if you waited until you heard from your top choice, it would not be detrimental. besides, waitlists don't usually move until may anyway. best of luck with everything.