This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdmandoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anybody know how this is typically financed? Sounds nearly impossible unless you’re loaded.

I read the student spotlights on the program website, and these folks have gone through significant struggles throughout their lives. Is this program designed for such students, or does a more average person have a shot?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read the student spotlights on the program website, and these folks have gone through significant struggles throughout their lives. Is this program designed for such students, or does a more average person have a shot?

Yes its meant for underserved and disadvantaged applicants.

Yes its meant for underserved and disadvantaged applicants.
I don't like how they never define what this means lol. I've lived my whole life in a densely populated, low income, inner city, medically underserved community. But I don't feel I was disadvantaged in any way that I'm aware of.

I don't like how they never define what this means lol. I've lived my whole life in a densely populated, low income, inner city, medically underserved community. But I don't feel I was disadvantaged in any way that I'm aware of.

its self-designated and typically includes URM + SES.

Has anyone found any info about their lor requirements? I can't seem to find anything on their website. Does it specifically have to be 2 science or math professors?

Anyone talk with any former GEMS students? I am curious to what percentage of the previous class matriculated to Georgetown and medical school in general. Also, how people found the program in general.

its like 80+% per the site if memory serves me right.

Hello-

Does anyone know how to go about uploading new transcripts that were not part of your AMCAS app?
TIA!

Hi! Thinking about applying to this program. Does being socially disadvantaged count for this program aka URM status? Because I don't necessarily see anything about it being specifically economic. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thinking about applying to this program. Does being socially disadvantaged count for this program aka URM status? Because I don't necessarily see anything about it being specifically economic. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I actually asked previous GEMS students about that and they said “any way you want to define disadvantaged/underserved” Vague but I think its helpful.
Just got my GEMS app verified today so I’ll be happy to answer any questions about application procedures!

I actually asked previous GEMS students about that and they said “any way you want to define disadvantaged/underserved” Vague but I think its helpful.
Just got my GEMS app verified today so I’ll be happy to answer any questions about application procedures!
Thanks for the reply!

Is it better to apply earlier than March 31st? I think I will be done around March 15th:(

Is it better to apply earlier than March 31st? I think I will be done around March 15th:(
Hello!
The deadlines March 31st. You can’t submit it after that date. (Though I’m entertaining the thought of deadline extension due to virus pandemic)
That being said, it’s not rolling admission as I recall it, so you should be fine as long as you submit before the deadline

Submitted mine! Good luck everyone. Hopefully good news will come out way!

I wonder how the interviews will go with the current situation. Good luck everyone

I have a question about recommendation. Does the app update when your recommendations are submitted before you actually click submit in your app.

Anyone have any info how one goes about paying if they get accepted ? I️ don’t want to take a bank loan for this...that’s serious debt and would prefer a federal loan to a private one for educational purposes. Anyone have some insight on this ?

I have a question about recommendation. Does the app update when your recommendations are submitted before you actually click submit in your app.
Hello,
It’ll say that the recommenders have submitted their letters with their respective timestamp. And once they’re submitted, you can click submit. So you have to check in everyday to see if they’ve submitted the letters.

Anyone have any info how one goes about paying if they get accepted ? I️ don’t want to take a bank loan for this...that’s serious debt and would prefer a federal loan to a private one for educational purposes. Anyone have some insight on this ?
I believe you have to take a private loan. It’s a certificate and not a masters so only like 20k of it is covered by federal loans. The 30k is mainly your cost of living since DC is very expensive and so are the surrounding areas. I know someone who has done the program and that was the case. The person did mention that some of his classmates had family help out but most ppl took the private loans.
I see it this way: the fact that you have to take a private loan really determines how bad you want this and how much you’re willingly to work for it. Georgetown is a reputable school and GEMS has been really successful at preparing students for medical school. I feel like the Pros outweigh the cons.

Does that mean that if I️ do a masters program instead of this certificate program, I’ll be able to use federal loans instead ? I’m from a low income background, so it’s just me. I️ have no one to fall back on. So you might be able to appreciate my concern. It’s a great program and school, but money is factor for me. I’ve been looking at other programs, too. Albeit, those other do have you retake the MCAT and are more complicated.

I’m just seeking insight in this process. It’s been a whirlwind, personally.

I believe you have to take a private loan. It’s a certificate and not a masters so only like 20k of it is covered by federal loans. The 30k is mainly your cost of living since DC is very expensive and so are the surrounding areas. I know someone who has done the program and that was the case. The person did mention that some of his classmates had family help out but most ppl took the private loans.
I see it this way: the fact that you have to take a private loan really determines how bad you want this and how much you’re willingly to work for it. Georgetown is a reputable school and GEMS has been really successful at preparing students for medical school. I feel like the Pros outweigh the cons.

Does that mean that if I️ do a masters program instead of this certificate program, I’ll be able to use federal loans instead ? I’m from a low income background, so it’s just me. I️ have no one to fall back on. So you might be able to appreciate my concern. It’s a great program and school, but money is factor for me. I’ve been looking at other programs, too. Albeit, those other do have you retake the MCAT and are more complicated.

I’m just seeking insight in this process. It’s been a whirlwind, personally.
Yes for masters program you can use Grad plus loans which are funded by the government.

Hello -

Has anyone already had their app verified and completed? How long does it take after the submission?
Good luck to everyone and staying safe!

Hello -

Has anyone already had their app verified and completed? How long does it take after the submission?
Good luck to everyone and staying safe!
Hello
I would say gathering materials+essay prompts+application submission takes at least 1.5-2weeks if you work on it diligently. The limiting factor here is the letter of recommendations.

Hello
I would say gathering materials+essay prompts+application submission takes at least 1.5-2weeks if you work on it diligently. The limiting factor here is the letter of recommendations.
I agree. Getting the recommendations were the toughest for me. Finally received them all yesterday. As for the essays, if you sit with them for 4 hours daily, they’ll get done in under 2 weeks . I wish they would extend the application by a week though due to the virus but looks like they won’t.

I'm seeing that the deadline is now April 27??

Reactions: 1 users
Yes they extended it due to the virus. Meaning interviews will probably occur only in May.
The website updated saying that interview activities will be a two day thing. One on April 20 + April 21. The other on May 4 and 5th. I guess if submitted near the deadline, you'd only have the May option.

Also wondering if this will be virtual.

The website updated saying that interview activities will be a two day thing. One on April 20 + April 21. The other on May 4 and 5th. I guess if submitted near the deadline, you'd only have the May option.

Also wondering if this will be virtual.
Yeah . I was planning on submitting by early next week with this extended deadline. I was going to submit tonight but I I decided to look over my app a bit more and make some adjustments. They’ll probably start extending invites a week before the April interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
As an URM applicant, is the SMP or GEMS program a better option?

As an URM applicant, is the SMP or GEMS program a better option?
Hello

My thoughts:
I guess the answer depends on what you want-- if you want to improve on your learning/testing/critical thinking skills then I'd say GEMS is where you want to be because their education goals and learning experience is far more intimate to that of SMP. SMP has more of a traditional master's program structure in place, i have friends who's done both and both of them are in same class at GUSOM, and their experiences were so different and yet so similar... I'm taking this route because i know i'll get wrecked if I did SMP.

another factor to think about: GEMS students, if admitted to GUSOM, have to retake all the 1st year classes whereas SMP students are exempt from certain blocks, granted they passed them during their SMP program. so what does this all mean? more tuition money spent? how about having trouble to reload information learned in preparation for step1?

Hello

My thoughts:
I guess the answer depends on what you want-- if you want to improve on your learning/testing/critical thinking skills then I'd say GEMS is where you want to be because their education goals and learning experience is far more intimate to that of SMP. SMP has more of a traditional master's program structure in place, i have friends who's done both and both of them are in same class at GUSOM, and their experiences were so different and yet so similar... I'm taking this route because i know i'll get wrecked if I did SMP.

another factor to think about: GEMS students, if admitted to GUSOM, have to retake all the 1st year classes whereas SMP students are exempt from certain blocks, granted they passed them during their SMP program. so what does this all mean? more tuition money spent? how about having trouble to reload information learned in preparation for step1?
GEMS would also be more of a direct linkage into GUSOM, correct?

Hello current GEMS student. I just want to preface by saying nothing is ever guaranteed with the school as far as linkages and guaranteed admissions. Generally speaking the top 10% of students from the SMP program will get accepted whereas a good number of students from the GEMS program are accepted as well. For reference last year almost all of the students were accepted into the program.

Reactions: 2 users
I think SMP is for students with better GPAs and MCATs, so if you have above a 3.0 GPA and above 500 MCAT, then I'd pick SMP over GEMS.

Last edited:
has anyone gotten notification of an interview invite yet? i'm getting nervous

has anyone gotten notification of an interview invite yet? i'm getting nervous
They said that they would start contacting applicants about interview invites starting on April 10. Yesterday was Good Friday, though, so I believe they were off.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! Remember to be yourself!

is it too late to submit an application now? I just learned about this program

Hello
due to the COVID19 pandemic, the deadlines been pushed so you have about a week to gather all the materials and submit your application.
The first round of interview has been done already as of today, which already puts you at disadvantage but you can still be considered for second round in May.
the application fee is not cheap ($110) so Id weigh the risks heavily if you are planning on applying!

For those who interviewed yesterday/today, how was it?

To add to Yoon909, the materials also include 2 math and/or science letters of recommendations that need to specifically address GEMS. So, definitely reach out to those professors if you haven't already!

For those who interviewed yesterday/today, how was it?

Dean Taylor and my interviewers were very welcoming. Although it can be easier said than done, just be yourself and relax.

Dean Taylor and my interviewers were very welcoming. Although it can be easier said than done, just be yourself and relax.
Thanks. So are you being interviewed for the whole 11-8 time slot or in blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.