This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invited to interview next week!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to hear I'm not the only person asking tht,,,

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm a prospective student for the next cycle, and I have question for you all that have already applied. Are the AMCAS application and GEMS application two separate things? If yes, did you need to submit letters of recommendation for the AMCAS application?

Hello all,
I'm a prospective student for the next cycle, and I have question for you all that have already applied. Are the AMCAS application and GEMS application two separate things? If yes, did you need to submit letters of recommendation for the AMCAS application?
They are two different applications and you need to have separate letters for both.

Has anyone heard back on acceptances yet ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the earliest we will hear back is May 29th. Best of luck everyone!

Congrats! I also just got the email that I was accepted too:clap:! Where you able to open up the links just fine because i'm having trouble getting them to load?

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations everyone! Just got the good news too!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! Shohld we make a Facebook group?

Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations everyone! Looking forward to meeting y’all!

Reactions: 4 users
Yes! Just got accepted too!! Congratulations everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Excited to meet you all ☺️

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone who was offered a spot! Could yall share stats?

Hi, I am looking to apply in the 2021-2022 cycle which is next year and was wondering if anyone wants to talk to me about their experience in applying to the GEMS Program at Georgetown. In specific, the program application for 2020 stated that eligibility requires MCAT to be taken from Jan 2018- Nov 30th 2019 is this true? I was planning to take the MCAT this January but if I do that- would that make me ineligible to apply for GEMS?

Hey, if anybody has any questions about the GEMS process, I am currently in the GEMS program. My cohort and I would love to answer any questions.

Hey, if anybody has any questions about the GEMS process, I am currently in the GEMS program. My cohort and I would love to answer any questions.
Hi yes I have a couple of questions!

Hi! I'm thinking of applying to this program, but am also looking at applying to med school this application cycle (2021-2022). When do GEMS students apply for medical school? While in the program or after completion?

Hi! I'm thinking of applying to this program, but am also looking at applying to med school this application cycle (2021-2022). When do GEMS students apply for medical school? While in the program or after completion?
Hello! Excited to hear that you're considering this wonderful program. We applied for medical school this cycle, so Fall 2020. We don't wait until the next cycle.

Hello! Excited to hear that you're considering this wonderful program. We applied for medical school this cycle, so Fall 2020. We don't wait until the next cycle.
Okay awesome! I was thinking there would be a gap year between completion of the program and when I would be applying. I have a few more questions, if you don't mind answering them:

1. This isn't a linkage program, right? Like there isn't a certain GPA to have during the program that will gain you admission or an interview into the medical school?
2. Is there an MCAT/GPA hard requirement for the program? I noticed that the website says that they prefer a candidate with a cumulative science GPA of 2.5 and overall MCAT of 500, but do you know if these are crucial to get an interview?
3. What was the interview process like for acceptance into GEMS?
4. Is admission into the program rolling or does the admissions committee only start reviewing applications by the deadline?
5. What does the program look like for you all during this pandemic (classes online? less in-person-meetings? etc.)? What is the rigor of the program like, considering some classes are taken with MS1 students?
6. Are there opportunities for financial aid through the program or do most students just use loans?
7. What was it like participating in the medical school application cycle while in the GEMS program? Are they accommodating for students who have interviews?

Thanks for these wonderful questions! Looking forward to the answers too (as a current applicant).

Thank you so much for these questions! I am really hoping everybody applies to this program because it deserves all the recognition it can get lol. It is truly a hidden gem (pun intended lol)!

1. This isn't a linkage program, right? Like there isn't a certain GPA to have during the program that will gain you admission or an interview into the medical school?
- Once accepted into the program, you will be given a metric and the criteria to possibly get an interview to GUSOM. Like the GEMS website says, simply getting to the program does not guarantee an interview. But honestly, the stats speak for themselves.

2. Is there an MCAT/GPA hard requirement for the program? I noticed that the website says that they prefer a candidate with a cumulative science GPA of 2.5 and overall MCAT of 500, but do you know if these are crucial to get an interview?
- I would say still apply with the stats that you have, whether or not you meet the GPA and MCAT requirement. For me, I would rather confidently say that I applied and heard back from them (good or bad), rather that constantly thinking about the what-ifs.

- The interview process was smooth, especially with my interview happening during peak COVID-19. It was spread over two days. I believe the first day was meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, which solidified the program for me. It was so crazy how warm and engaging they were over the computer lol, I told myself that I had to get into this program. They made me feel like I wasn't just a number to them; they truly care about your success. After meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, I was also interviewed by two other former GEMS on day 1. Day 2 consisted of an interactive group activity. I am sorry that I cannot go into deep details, but it was chill. I remember stressing out about it, which is completely natural but be yourself and humble lol! I cannot stress this enough. Once you get an interview, they see something in your application that intrigues them, and now the interview is to match a face to the app.

4. Is admission into the program rolling or does the admissions committee only start reviewing applications by the deadline?
- I don't think admissions are rolling, but please don't quote me. Put the best application out there because that is what is speaking on your behalf.

5. What does the program look like for you all during this pandemic (classes online? less in-person-meetings? etc.)? What is the rigor of the program like, considering some classes are taken with MS1 students?
- Classes are strictly online, so that definitely brings another level of accountability. It is very easy to get distracted especially being at home, but my classmates and I are still able to get the job done. This program is definitely a GREAT preview of what medical school will be like. I see each semester as preparing me for the upcoming semester. Since the program starts in the summer, we were using that time to strengthen our science foundation for our upcoming classes in the Fall (primarily biochemistry). Then once in the Fall semester, we're getting ready for the upcoming Spring semester in addition to taking biochemistry exams. Trust me, it might sound like a lot, but it is doable lol. I'm not gonna lie, I was doubting myself at first because it was a new experience but if you are open to trusting the GEMS process, you will gain a lot from this program.

6. Are there opportunities for financial aid through the program or do most students just use loans?
- Yes, we have financial aid opportunities fortunately! I had to take out a loan, which was strictly for housing.

7. What was it like participating in the medical school application cycle while in the GEMS program? Are they accommodating for students who have interviews?
- Honestly, I can't provide a definitive answer to this because I haven't interviewed at any other schools yet. With COVID happening right now, and interviews possibly being virtual, that definitely helps. You would just have to update Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon. A few classmates and I had retake the CASPR exam, so we just had to find time individually, which was doable.

Thank you so much for these questions! I am really hoping everybody applies to this program because it deserves all the recognition it can get lol. It is truly a hidden gem (pun intended lol)!

- Once accepted into the program, you will be given a metric and the criteria to possibly get an interview to GUSOM. Like the GEMS website says, simply getting to the program does not guarantee an interview. But honestly, the stats speak for themselves.

- I would say still apply with the stats that you have, whether or not you meet the GPA and MCAT requirement. For me, I would rather confidently say that I applied and heard back from them (good or bad), rather that constantly thinking about the what-ifs.

- The interview process was smooth, especially with my interview happening during peak COVID-19. It was spread over two days. I believe the first day was meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, which solidified the program for me. It was so crazy how warm and engaging they were over the computer lol, I told myself that I had to get into this program. They made me feel like I wasn't just a number to them; they truly care about your success. After meeting Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon, I was also interviewed by two other former GEMS on day 1. Day 2 consisted of an interactive group activity. I am sorry that I cannot go into deep details, but it was chill. I remember stressing out about it, which is completely natural but be yourself and humble lol! I cannot stress this enough. Once you get an interview, they see something in your application that intrigues them, and now the interview is to match a face to the app.

- I don't think admissions are rolling, but please don't quote me. Put the best application out there because that is what is speaking on your behalf.

- Classes are strictly online, so that definitely brings another level of accountability. It is very easy to get distracted especially being at home, but my classmates and I are still able to get the job done. This program is definitely a GREAT preview of what medical school will be like. I see each semester as preparing me for the upcoming semester. Since the program starts in the summer, we were using that time to strengthen our science foundation for our upcoming classes in the Fall (primarily biochemistry). Then once in the Fall semester, we're getting ready for the upcoming Spring semester in addition to taking biochemistry exams. Trust me, it might sound like a lot, but it is doable lol. I'm not gonna lie, I was doubting myself at first because it was a new experience but if you are open to trusting the GEMS process, you will gain a lot from this program.

- Yes, we have financial aid opportunities fortunately! I had to take out a loan, which was strictly for housing.

- Honestly, I can't provide a definitive answer to this because I haven't interviewed at any other schools yet. With COVID happening right now, and interviews possibly being virtual, that definitely helps. You would just have to update Dean Taylor and Dr. Okon. A few classmates and I had retake the CASPR exam, so we just had to find time individually, which was doable.
Thanks so much for the response! I'm really interested in this program and it helps hearing what it's like from a current GEMS students before I apply!

How many people were accepted in last year cohort?

Last edited:
I have a 499 MCAT, 3.4 ugpa & 3.2 sgpa. Do people typically get in this program with these stats???

I would think so, i'm not certain on everyone's stats from our cohort this year, but mine where: MCAT: 496, uGPA: 3.5ish, sGPA: 3.38ish when I applied but I'm sure people had lower gpa's or possibly lower mcat as well, I know on their website they kind of give an average of what these stats usually are.

That's pending, we're still in the Spring semester.
Hi. Do you mind updating us about this later when you know? Would really appreciate this type of quantitative info.
Sorry for the following number of questions, but I'm very interested in the program which is why I want to know as much as I can about it.
1. You've said that there's a metric and criteria to get an interview at GUSOM. Do you mind expanding on what that means and how rigorous the requirement is? For instance, can you tell us how many people in your class received interview invites? Is there a limit/certain percentage of the class or was everyone able to secure an interview?
2. How generous is the financial aid? Do they give out scholarship/grants? I couldn't find any info at all on the website, besides loans for financial aid.
3. What is the CASPR exam? Is it another admission exam for medical school?

Last edited:
Hi. Do you mind updating us about this later when you know? Would really appreciate this type of quantitative info.
Sorry for the following number of questions, but I'm very interested in the program which is why I want to know as much as I can about it.
1. You've said that there's a metric and criteria to get an interview at GUSOM. Do you mind expanding on what that means and how rigorous the requirement is? For instance, can you tell us how many people in your class received interview invites? Is there a limit/certain percentage of the class or was everyone able to secure an interview?
2. How generous is the financial aid? Do they give out scholarship/grants? I couldn't find any info at all on the website, besides loans for financial aid.
3. What is the CASPR exam? Is it another admission exam for medical school?
Yeah, we are currently waiting on our exam scores, so I can't update for some time pertaining to interviews and acceptances.

1. I can't really expand on the requirements because I don't want to pass along wrong information.
2. I am sorry again, but with any questions pertaining to financial aid, I would say email the program directly so you get accurate information/
3. CASPER is like an exam to test your morale and ethics. Not all schools require the CASPER exam, but a few do.

Yeah, we are currently waiting on our exam scores, so I can't update for some time pertaining to interviews and acceptances.

1. I can't really expand on the requirements because I don't want to pass along wrong information.
2. I am sorry again, but with any questions pertaining to financial aid, I would say email the program directly so you get accurate information/
3. CASPER is like an exam to test your morale and ethics. Not all schools require the CASPER exam, but a few do.
Thank you for your response. Is it okay for you to instead share the timeline of medical school application while being in the program? Like when (generally speaking) do people in your cohort submit AMCAS, do secondaries, get interviews? How do you balance that with taking classes?

Do the exam scores affect your acceptance into medical school as well? I was under the impression that they only affect whether or not you get invited for interview. Also, is your cohort still in the process of getting invited for interview or is everyone waiting for the decision? I'm genuinely curious because I know it's very late in the cycle now so a lot of medical schools have already sent out their decision. The chance of getting accepted while haven't received an interview this late, isn't it very low? Is that related to the structure of the program or just because of the medical school?
I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and observation; it doesn't have to be based on facts. Just want to know what you think.

Thank you for your response. Is it okay for you to instead share the timeline of medical school application while being in the program? Like when (generally speaking) do people in your cohort submit AMCAS, do secondaries, get interviews? How do you balance that with taking classes?

Do the exam scores affect your acceptance into medical school as well? I was under the impression that they only affect whether or not you get invited for interview. Also, is your cohort still in the process of getting invited for interview or is everyone waiting for the decision? I'm genuinely curious because I know it's very late in the cycle now so a lot of medical schools have already sent out their decision. The chance of getting accepted while haven't received an interview this late, isn't it very low? Is that related to the structure of the program or just because of the medical school?
I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts and observation; it doesn't have to be based on facts. Just want to know what you think.

So, as GEMS, we follow a different timeline where interviews aren't done yet. It depends on how you performed on the module exams on whether or not you get an interview. If you're trying to apply to another medical school, then you follow their timeline.

So, as GEMS, we follow a different timeline where interviews aren't done yet. It depends on how you performed on the module exams on whether or not you get an interview. If you're trying to apply to another medical school, then you follow their timeline.
Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to respond to my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.