Georgetown highly select pool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jessica37

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just found out that I've been placed in Georgetown's highly select pool. Does that mean I've been waitlisted? Or does it just mean that they do not give out acceptances until they've finished interviewing everybody? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

that means you've been waitlisted and that your file will be reviewed again with the next pool of applicants. it's not a terrible spot to be in. how'd you hear about it? when did you interview?

Man, that's the most encouraging way of saying "waitlist" that I've heard yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, they keep coming up with great ways of saying waitlist. I guess it gives us hope that we are special and we are in a special waitlist when all it means is that you are waitlisted along with 200+ applicants. We should start a thread about this!!!!

when did you interview?

i don't know how accurate this is, but i just met a girl yesterday who used to work in georgetown admissions and she said that if you end up in the highly select pool, you still have great chances, but that you HAVE to write a letter of intent and kiss major butt to maximize your chances.

she also said, and this is a bit iffy, that though georgetown takes in a class size of ~170, 25 of those are from georgetown's grad program in physiology (almost guaranteed), and 10 are from georgetown's GEM (sp?) program for minorities. plus they like their own undergrads, so there are not as many open seats as might be expected.

don't quote me on it, though.

I interviewed October 8th. I read on their website that they have a "highly select," "select," and "reject" pool, so I'm thankful for at least being in the highly select pool. Good luck everybody with their interviews!
:clap:

hey all,

just wanted to confirm that you do have to write a letter to Georgetown stating your interest in the school if you want to be considered from the highly select pool. The way they put it was "We only backfill the class with people who write letters."

On a side note: I just love the term 'backfill'. They try and be so encouraging with the term highly select pool, and then they have to go and use a word like "backfill," which sounds sort of halfway between 'backwash' and 'landfill.' :laugh:

That's right. you need to send a letter to Dean Wall re-stating your interest in Georgetown.

Sort of explains why ms. sullivan told us "only come here if you can't get into your state school" and my interviewer told me, "if you get in any place other than here that is decent, go there."

Originally posted by Jessica37
I interviewed October 8th. I read on their website that they have a "highly select," "select," and "reject" pool, so I'm thankful for at least being in the highly select pool.
Congrats and good luck!! :)

Sort of explains why ms. sullivan told us "only come here if you can't get into your state school"
That is a sign that the school is hard to get into... They def have one of the highest rejection rates in the country. :(

:clap: :clap: Heres hoping you stay afloat in that highly select pool! (Maybe rename yourself aqua girl or seaworthy just to be sure);)