Georgetown: How're you planning to get there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since a lot of people will be interviewing at Georgetown, I decided create a separate thread.

If you're flying, which airport will you be landing at?

In my case, I'll be in VA the night before, and I can find really cheap airfare to the Baltimore airport. However, I am not sure if this is the smartest way to go. Looking for Dulles tickets as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing Dulles. Coming from LA, one can do Virgin America nonstop. Coming from Long Beach, one can do JetBlue nonstop. Both very reasonably priced ways to get to Dulles. DCA requires taking a weak airline, which i'm not down with. Gotta have the leg room.

Since a lot of people will be interviewing at Georgetown, I decided create a separate thread.

In my case, I'll be in VA the night before, and I can find really cheap airfare to the Baltimore airport. However, I am not sure if this is the smartest way to go. Looking for Dulles tickets as well.

IMO, as someone who lives outside DC, I would fly into Dulles (IAD) or Reagen (DCA) for a Georgetown interview. Without traffic, Reagen is a 15-20 min drive, Dulles 30-45, and Baltimore is more than an hour (with DC traffic, it could easily take twice as long). No matter where you fly into though, I would strongly suggest getting into DC the night before. Hope that helps, good luck :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can fly into BWI and take the MARC/AMTRACK to Union Station (has a Metro Stop). There is a shuttle to the MARC/AMTRACK station from BWI Airport that free. The ticket to Union Station is pretty cheap too.

You can either Metro, bus or cab to whatever hotel you are staying. My choice would be one in Foggy Bottom or Friendship Heights as they are easy bus/cab rides to GT medical school. If you stay in Virginia, stay in Rosslyn and take the Metro over to Foggy Bottom + cab ride to school.

You can fly into BWI and take the MARC/AMTRACK to Union Station (has a Metro Stop). There is a shuttle to the MARC/AMTRACK station from BWI Airport that free. The ticket to Union Station is pretty cheap too.

You can either Metro, bus or cab to whatever hotel you are staying. My choice would be one in Foggy Bottom or Friendship Heights as they are easy bus/cab rides to GT medical school. If you stay in Virginia, stay in Rosslyn and take the Metro over to Foggy Bottom + cab ride to school.

If you're going to be in Rosslyn, just take a cab from there. Better yet, take the FREE Georgetown shuttle. It's for students, staff, AND visitors and all you need is a photo ID to hop aboard. It'll take you right to the Leavey Center (Student Center) which is adjacent to the med school/hospital.

Learn more here: http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/

Turns out I'll end up in D.C at 10:30pm the night before the interview. Trying to figure out whether staying with a student host is worth it or not. I have some family friends that live there. Any suggestions?

:thumbup:

I flew from Boston to Baltimore for about $150 round trip, and took the train down to Union station (I think the ticket was around $20). I flew in february, and every ticket into the D.C airports was over $500 round trip, so it's a huge savings. As a side note, I recommend staying at the Georgetown hotel on campus. I saved about $50 by staying the the Hilton (which was the cheapest option on travelocity apparently), but the cab ride to Gtown was another $20-30, and traffic was so brutal I barely made it in time.

Turns out I'll end up in D.C at 10:30pm the night before the interview. Trying to figure out whether staying with a student host is worth it or not. I have some family friends that live there. Any suggestions?

If you aren't going to get there until late the night before, the whole "get to know a med student" part of staying with a student host is negated. However, the "cheap housing" portion still exists.

If you're going to be in Rosslyn, just take a cab from there. Better yet, take the FREE Georgetown shuttle. It's for students, staff, AND visitors and all you need is a photo ID to hop aboard. It'll take you right to the Leavey Center (Student Center) which is adjacent to the med school/hospital.

Learn more here: http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/

The bus is really awesome and useful. You actually don't need any ID at all--I used GUTS all summer and I was never asked to show any identification. It also shuttles between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, by the way.

The bus is really awesome and useful. You actually don't need any ID at all--I used GUTS all summer and I was never asked to show any identification. It also shuttles between Dupont Circle and Georgetown, by the way.

True, they don't usually ask to see your ID. I have found some drivers that are sticklers though, so better safe than sorry.

so i am planning on taking a greyhound bus to DC from NYC. its about a 5-6 hour drive and i will get there the night before... from the bus i was planning on taking a cab to a near-to-georgetown hotel for the night...anyone else have any plans like this? lol or know of hotels right near the school?

When are you guys interviewing? I'm going with either the 25th or 26th. Only days that work for me

so i am planning on taking a greyhound bus to DC from NYC. its about a 5-6 hour drive and i will get there the night before... from the bus i was planning on taking a cab to a near-to-georgetown hotel for the night...anyone else have any plans like this? lol or know of hotels right near the school?

Well...there's a Marriott on campus, so you can't get much closer than that. There are also a bunch of hotels in Rosslyn, which is just across the Key Bridge from Georgetown. Staying in Rosslyn would be the closest you could be to Georgetown without paying to be in Georgetown.

Also, watch yourself if you're coming into the bus terminal at night.

Watch out for the guy with the Rambo knife.

Are you guys flying out the same day?

My flights out are pretty tight (and at Dulles, not Reagan) so I'm not sure if I should stay an extra day at the hotel or just head to the airport, sleep in their lounge and head out on a 6am flight.

Are you guys flying out the same day?

My flights out are pretty tight (and at Dulles, not Reagan) so I'm not sure if I should stay an extra day at the hotel or just head to the airport, sleep in their lounge and head out on a 6am flight.

I don't know when the interview day ends, but if it's mid-afternoon, you're going to be hitting some serious rush hour traffic heading out of DC towards Dulles. Rush hour starts early here, so unless your flight is late enough, I'd be inclined to spend the night somewhere. Whether that's at the airport or in a hotel is up to you.