Georgetown Interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abu barney

resident revolutionary
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody can shed any insight on the Georgetown interview since I got it coming up soon. What type of questions do they ask, how is the interview structured, how did it fare, and all that good stuff. I really want to go to Georgetown so I want to rock this interview. Also, how long did it take them to get back to you, if they have already gotten back to you. Finally, I don't know if this is good or bad, but I got the interview request only two weeks after sending my letters in...

thE pAkht

Members don't see this ad.

congrats on the invite!
be prepared for a LONG lecture in the morning from Mrs. Sullivan. She's big in admissions there, and although i really enjoyed hearing her views on medicine and g-town---others found it somewhat repetitive and tiresome.
anyway, the interviewer asked me questions about my file---and seemed to know it well. be prepared with health care/hmo/insurance info. my interviewer asked me a whole slew of questions about managed care. health care policy is SO not my speciality, but as long as you are well versed on these topics you will be fine. most other schools haven't bothered with these questions...

i thought everyone was friendly, the campus is really pretty, and the students are really awesome.
good luck!

Hey abu, congrats on the invite. I've heard that Georgetown gets back to you pretty fast about the interview once your file is complete. I got my letter insanely fast. When is your interview date? I'll be there on Nov. 18 if you or anyone else will be around then. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
i just had my interview there.
if you can, stay with a student host. they are insanely nice.
i found mrs. sullivan's talk exactly as i'd expected.

part 1 of talk:
1. the school trains good clinicians
2. the school offers a 4yr ethics course, religion courses (on all religions, if it matters to you), and alternative medicine courses
3. the focus of the medicine taught there is on the whole patient (background, religion, morals), not only on the disease.

part 2 of talk:
1. no abortion taught
2. no euthanasia taught
3. no stem cell research taught

my interviewer skimmed my app at the start of the interview, and i helped to clarify what was on there. he didn't ask me a single abortion/healthcare/ethics/religion/euthanasia question. we talked about my motivations for going into medicine, and role-played a bit.

i have to say the first 30 mins of my interview was somewhat conventional. he expected short answers from me and only gave short answers to questions that i asked. it didn't strike me as a knock-your-socks-off interview. finally, just as we were wrapping it up, i said, what the hell, and asked him what he was looking for in an applicant, how hard is it to go into academia, his personal life, etc. and then we launched into phase 2 of our interview, which was a zillion times more relaxed and lively.

bottom line is, try to get to know them as much as they want to get to know you, and you'll end up enjoying the interview more.

do they contact you via email or snail?

Originally posted by chips
part 2 of talk:
1. no abortion taught
2. no euthanasia taught
3. no stem cell research taught

However, you can learn the abortion procedures on rotations, if you're at a different hospital (or so someone has mentioned on SDN before)...

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
do they contact you via email or snail?

if you mean for the interview then i think it's by snail mail. like dr. chooch said, they are unbelievably fast in offering interviews. i got the letter about 4 days after i received the "your app is complete" email.

i was told during the interview that the committee goes into review (for final decision) the first and third thursday of each month. give about 4-6 weeks after that date to find out their decision.

however, i would say that, because their philosophy is somewhat different from all other schools, they know very well what they are looking for. if you even give off the slightest signal that you don't want to be there, it's game over.

Would it be suicide at Gtown to say that you are pro-abortion, euthanasia, etc.?

Originally posted by JScrusader
Would it be suicide at Gtown to say that you are pro-abortion, euthanasia, etc.?

I'd be careful. ;)

yep, georgetown does get back to you pretty fast...

i interviewed there in early october, and my rejection was sent out on october 30th (received it today).

i would really advise telling them that they're your top choice. i didn't do that.

would ppl. who got accepted, interviews, or rejected from g-town
mind saying their stats? see, i thought i was not going to turn in their
secondary. i decided that, b/c i am URM and from what i've heard, with my
GPA, that would be the only thing that could possibly get me in, and i
didn't want to take adv. of that, b/c i know if i got interviewed/accepted
i'd go; i'm weak, i love georgetown so much.
hm. but reading this thread has just renewed my interest esp. b/c
i am strong Christian and really am loving their philosophy, from what's
posted here. but i'd just like to know ppls. stats, so i could kinda get a
sense once again of if my earlier conclusions about my chances
are true. ok, thanks!

I'm at georgetown this morning for interview...

If your coming from d.c. union station, exit the concourse, go downstairs and ask information desk for subway ride to dupont. it's a $1.10 ride. then when you get out and leave this huge escalotor, exit and go across the street towards your left. (lucky for me the escalator was broken this morning so i had to walk up what felt like 10+ floors). :rolleyes: there will be a georgetown shuttle that takes u to medical school area for $1.

once you're on campus, u can use the library and stuff (what i'm doing now) if you show them your id (like drivers license). it's kinda hard finding the admissions office.

It's interesting. Georgetown was my first interview invite. I was truly shocked for several reasons. I took my phyiscs requirement and one term of o-chem at a community college. I am an older student (the average maticulant age is 22.6, I'm 25), and my main work as a volunteer has been through Planned Parenthood. I was juvenile inmate educator, but also worked with abortion patients weekly. I had really written the school off as a place that would look at my application and toss it aside.

My interview is on the 12th of November, and I'm sure I'll be hit with questions about my work and how I'll reconcile attending a school that does not instruct students in pregnancy termination. I'm a little nervous, but I figure they wouldn't have interviewed me if they weren't serious about my application. Still strikes me as strange though...

Their turn around time with reviewing is really fast. I had the completed file notification and interview invite within 2 days of each other. Good luck to anyone interviewing. PM me if you'll be there on the 12th.

stats? stats? please?
for georgetown interviewees. . if ya'll don't mind saying. . .

care bear I PM'ed you.

thanks so much for the advice
mm, squid, dr c --
ya'll are all so encouraging :)
still not sure just what i'm gonna do, but thanks for giving me some
diff. perspectives. i really appreciate it and best of luck with
georgetown and all other schools! :clap:

Originally posted by manicmaven
I am an older student (the average maticulant age is 22.6, I'm 25)

Wow, G-Town likes 'em young! Sounds like a school for a certain MCAT-related-user who thought 25 was actually old for a med school student.

i thought georgetown was really cool. they're really upfront about their good points and bad points. although my interview asked a series of difficult questions pertaining to "what-ifs", i thought he was a great guy. this was unquestionably the interview where i had to "think" about my responses the most...but i left feeling good.

my student host was a great guy. he ended up driving me to gw the next day for my other interview in d.c.

oh, when you come in sitting in the "fishbowl" with other applicants, the deans will talk to you about georgetown. i was really surprised they knew everyone's names and where they went to school. also, be ready to answer "what was the most recent book you've read" as part of the intoduction to the group.