Georgetown Master of Science (MSc.) in Global Health. Opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BPW1088

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm strongly considering to apply for Georgetown's Master of Science in Global Health program. While it may be a freshly, new program, I see a lot of potential. Similar to Duke's program, I love that it includes a funded field work and research paper graduation requirement. All of the professors in the program are accomplished scholars and practitioners , many of whom have had long careers at The World Bank. Lastly, while it's a very competitive program, they do not require GREs. For those of you who did not perform up to par, I think Georgetown's holistic approach (not judging you based on a test) might be a good option for you. Georgetown's reputation in global development and health field is very strong here in Washington, DC and the Georgetown name turns head all over the world. Global Health has a strong connection to foreign services, and their school of foreign service is one of the best, if not the best, in the country. Not to mention, the network and internship/job opportunities that are at your finger tips in the DC Area, with many international health and development organizations headquartered or having satellite offices here.

I think having that field experience, working on an actual project in sub-Saharan Africa, South America, India, or another field site that the offer, and having hands-on experience with a tangible results (research report; potential to be published), will give you a lot more credibility and make you a more desirable candidate than your counterparts at a structured MPH program at a PH school like Hopkins, Emory and UNC.

What are all of your thoughts? Is anyone applying to Georgetown? Love to hear everyone's feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you need more info? Sounds like you work at admissions. Easier than a focus group, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I just wanted to get others opinions on the matter. I figure that there might be someone who knows someone who currently attends the program, or is thinking of attending themselves. Believe me, I do not work in admissions for Georgetown. I'm just a hopeful, prospective MPH/MSc. candidate, and I am trying to enhance my knowledge on all of the different programs available to me as an aspiring global public health professional, so that I can make a safe and sound decision when the time comes to choose a school in a few months. With that said, I would love to hear other people's opinions on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Living in DC, I can definitely vouch for Georgetown's good reputation and availability of employement in the global/international development/consulting area (fiance works in that area). Beyond that, though, I can't tell you a whole lot.

Thanks, Stories. I live in the Washington, DC Metro Area as well, however I am in no way married to the area. I've been working in nonprofit health, mainly doing more development/fundraising and field campaigning, though I'm trying to make my switch over to global public health programming and consulting projects. I really do love Georgetown and think their new MSc. program might be the perfect fit for me, however I'm also in love with Emory and Johns Hopkins.

Is anyone else applying to this program? If so, has anyone received their decision yet?

Did anyone else apply to this program?

Did anyone apply to this and got in? Mind sharing stats and advice?