Georgetown Pre-Med Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone through Georgetown's post-bac pre-med program? I am talking about the non-masters program.

I received my undergraduate degree from Cornell in 1999 and have absolutely hated the work that I've done since then. Due to my relatively poor performance in school (2.7 cumulative, 2.55 PCBM), I had resigned myself to a mediocre life until recently. I've finally found myself, and I'm focused on my goal of becoming a doctor.

My last premed course was taken during the spring of 1997. I believe that I should re-take the basic pre-requisites for medical school, in addition to at least two semesters of advanced coursework, to show proof of my commitment and ability to handle a rigorous schedule. The closest, most reputable school near me is Georgetown, and I am interested in their non-masters post-bac pre-med program. Any input on the school, their pre-med board, and level of support during the application process would be very welcome.

I have no doubt that I can do extremely well in my coursework...and, really, I have no choice but to excel, considering my unfortunate academic record. But without strong support from the school and program, it hardly seems worth the extra money just for the Georgetown name. There are other nationally known schools in the D.C. area that can provide the basics of what I need.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation, however i'm just a little further along. I graduated from University of Michigan, but I wasn't really focused. I talked to the pre-med advisor there (once was on admissions for u of m med school) and she looked at my record and informed me what classes to take and how well i would have to do in them. Needless to say I needed atleast B's and above and I needed to take a full load for the two semesters it would take to fulfill those requirements. I am taking the MCAT this April and have been volunteering and working the whole time. If I can do it then I'm sure anyone can do, you just have to focus on the task at hand. My major mistake during undergrad was not going to class 100% of the time, however now I'm always there and ready. I guess whatever caused your mediocrity beforehand you should seriously step back and change some of those old habits. Sorry for rambling on, but when you have a passion for something, never let anyone say you cant do it! I wish you the best of luck.

DHP98

Thanks for the advice. :) It's rather easy to get discouraged this early in the game. How did you manage to work, volunteer, and take classes at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
well before I embarked on my post-bacc adventure I decided to save some money so my bank account wouldn't be overdrawn all summer! I also volunteered on Saturdays during the day at Hurley Hospital here in michigan. While taking classes I basically didn't do anything but just study and chill mostly on the weekend. Like I said staying ahead is the most important key. It's kind of funny when you have a lot to do you actually set aside time to do everything important so you dont miss a beat. Thats what I did and that's what I'm still doing. I hope this helps.

Let's revive this thread.

I am in a similar boat. I am currently working at a large consulting firm where I hate my job. I am liking the perks (e.g. per diems, frequent flier miles, etc...), but I am already realizing that this work is not very rewarding and the corporate bureaucracy makes me feel like a small piece in this big machine.

I want a career where I make a difference in this world. This made me think of pursuing medicine. However, there are many problems with medicine these days that definitely discourage me. Something that I NEVER thought about, which is somewhat related, is dentistry. I'm still weighing my options, but I'm trying to explore all options.

I graduated from the University of Virginia, although I started my college career at Vanderbilt. I only have a 3.1 cumulative GPA and I haven't really taken any prereqs (except General Chem), which are identical to medicine. I am thinking about enrolling in either American's or Georgetown's post-bacc program.

I'm leaning towards American since I 'might' be able to get slightly better grades, but Georgetown does have a better reputation.

I feel so lost!

I am thinking about American or Georgetown too. I went to the Univ of Michigan and did mechanical engineering. Gonne graduate, but I seriously always thought medicine was my calling in life.

Do you guys know of anyone who has gone to AU or Georgetown? I am going to DC to check out both programs this week. I'll tell you guys about it when I find out more.

- Duder

What consulting firm do you work at? Is it a small place or a prominent firm (either McKinsey, Bain or BCG)? Im thinking about going into consulting but am also interested in med school. What specifically dont you like about consulting? Thanks!

Originally posted by dcl4u
Let's revive this thread.

I am in a similar boat. I am currently working at a large consulting firm where I hate my job. I am liking the perks (e.g. per diems, frequent flier miles, etc...), but I am already realizing that this work is not very rewarding and the corporate bureaucracy makes me feel like a small piece in this big machine.

I want a career where I make a difference in this world. This made me think of pursuing medicine. However, there are many problems with medicine these days that definitely discourage me. Something that I NEVER thought about, which is somewhat related, is dentistry. I'm still weighing my options, but I'm trying to explore all options.

I graduated from the University of Virginia, although I started my college career at Vanderbilt. I only have a 3.1 cumulative GPA and I haven't really taken any prereqs (except General Chem), which are identical to medicine. I am thinking about enrolling in either American's or Georgetown's post-bacc program.

I'm leaning towards American since I 'might' be able to get slightly better grades, but Georgetown does have a better reputation.

I feel so lost!

I'm currently in the Master's program at NYMC, which is basically a post-bacc program disguised with a Master's degree, and perhaps a slightly higher degree of difficulty(for those who have already taken the pre-reqs). I applied to several similar programs, including G-town. I don't know if it was because I applied relatively late or something, but I have decent stats for these types of programs, and G-town not only didn't accept me, but their app fee for the program is 100 bucks(more expensive than any others by far), and they sent me a letter the last week of august, long after i heard from everywhere else, a week before school started. The rejection aside, the way they went about handling the process was horrid, and to think I paid 100 bucks for an unresponsive admissions department that sent me my rejection a week before the semester started. It's too bad, it looks like a nice program.

I'm currently in the Master's program at NYMC, which is basically a post-bacc program disguised with a Master's degree, and perhaps a slightly higher degree of difficulty(for those who have already taken the pre-reqs). I applied to several similar programs, including G-town. I don't know if it was because I applied relatively late or something, but I have decent stats for these types of programs, and G-town not only didn't accept me, but their app fee for the program is 100 bucks(more expensive than any others by far), and they sent me a letter the last week of august, long after i heard from everywhere else, a week before school started. The rejection aside, the way they went about handling the process was horrid, and to think I paid 100 bucks for an unresponsive admissions department that sent me my rejection a week before the semester started. It's too bad, it looks like a nice program.

ornis4, did you apply to the regular post-bacc certificate program or the MS in physiology program? thanks! i'm applying for the certificate program for next fall.

I applied for the Special Master's Program, the one specifically geared towards those who've already taken the pre-reqs. I think you're applying to a different program, from your description. Good luck, I hope the admin process for that is smoother than what I went through.