Georgetown religious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliquesh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a quick question about Gtown. Does Georgetown Medical require students to take theology courses like their undergrad? Is there even an option to? Is religion even apart of the medical school? After examing their website and brochure, it doesn’t seem like Catholism is part of the program at all. Just wondering if this is the case.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a quick question about Gtown. Does Georgetown Medical require students to take theology courses like their undergrad? Is there even an option to? Is religion even apart of the medical school? After examing their website and brochure, it doesn’t seem like Catholism is part of the program at all. Just wondering if this is the case.
Thanks

It is not a part of the program per se. A better way to say it is it drives their philosophy of teaching.
You do not have to take theology courses although you are eligible to take any undergrad class you want for free.
The only time it really comes into play is for things like abortion which you can't do in the Gtown hospital -- but they are quick to point out that you will have rotations all over the city so you will be exposed to just about everything.

The fact that they are a jesuit school only makes them more attractive imo because they put a big emphasis on treating body & mind versus treating just the disease.

Thanks

Religion is not really a part of the program at all. We had to take an ethics class first semester, but beyond that theres not much. Of course, being a part of the overall university, there are numerous opportunities to be involved in Catholic organizations if you want to..

Members don't see this ad :)
does there religious affiliation mean that they do not support stem cell research? I have an interview there in January, if they ask about it, is it better to say that I'm against stem cell research (or just play down the fact that I am very for stem cell research)?

IMO it's not a bad thing if you're interested in doing stem cell research, it just means that there's the potential i suppose that the research isnt done on campus. i dont know anything about this for certain.

my .02 on the whole religious part - it is not an integral part of our classes, and it certainly isnt pushed on you in any way. however, i really enjoy the fact that the jesuit priests try to stay involved with us - whether its through "pick me up" motivational emails before exams (several of the priests here are also MDs), or coming down to hang out in the gross labs with us. it's a very friendly community and i think they really bring something to the med school experience.

does there religious affiliation mean that they do not support stem cell research? I have an interview there in January, if they ask about it, is it better to say that I'm against stem cell research (or just play down the fact that I am very for stem cell research)?

I think that they DO have people conducting stem cell research but I may be mistaken. It's highly unlikely that they'll ask your views about stem cell research unless you're actually conducting research right now on stem cells.

I think that they DO have people conducting stem cell research but I may be mistaken. It's highly unlikely that they'll ask your views about stem cell research unless you're actually conducting research right now on stem cells.

You're right, they DO do stem cell research. The only issue is that they dont use stem cells from certain sources, i.e. embryonic stem cells. Which shouldn't be too big of an issue as most of the theraputic success in testing has come from adult and umbilical stem cells