Georgetown revisited

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by HardlyDavidson, Nov 29, 2001.

1. HardlyDavidson

...In an ongoing attempt NOT to bug admissions officers in a typical gunner pre-med fashion, just thought I'd 'ask the audience' with this one. That said, does anybody remember when georgetown planned on sending out notification to interviewees? That "mundane" detail was never really addressed during the information session. And if it was, I don't rmember the answer- so either way, any knowledge would be great. Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Darwin

I think they're reviewing the first few batches of interviews just before Christmas...I spoke with the student in charge of this while I was there and he said that he was just getting them ready. You should hear sometime in Jan. Hope this helps.

4. I interviewed at Georgetown on Oct 17th. I remember Ms. Sullivan saying that if you dont hear something in 4 weeks.... please feel free to call her (her # was on the last page of that handout they gave us). I NEVER call med schools but people suggested that after week 5 or so I should. Well... she was nice about it while reminding me that she said 4-6 weeks... and told me that the committee hasnt sent out anything yet and that you should hear something by the 3rd week in December... and if not... to call back then. good luck.

5. HardlyDavidson

Re-he-heally? Before the end of December? That's wild. Hey- is Mrs. Sullivan on the admissions committee at GTown?

6. HardlyDavidson

Oh- I just realized... that's why. I inerviewed the second week in November, hence the surprise. I expect to hear, even in light of your suggestion, in January or February. Ah well. Thanks anyway- and the question's still up for grabs: is Mrs. Sullivan on the adm staff?

7. Mrs. Sullivan emphasized that she has NO CONTROL WHATSOEVER on ANYONE'S admissions. I thought that she was being honest... that is why I called her. If you dont remember... she was the one with the "Georgetown is like this... and if you dont fit it, go somewhere else because you dont want to ruin 4 years of your life and waste your money" speech.

8. Darwin

Boy that was a great speech...I totally loved it. Some other interviewees that day, and a med student who stopped by the "fish bowl" had said that it was kind of hokie pokie, but I didn't think so. I was really impressed with it...and man I'd like to have her vocabulary. I thought the entire experience was awesome!

9. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member

Mrs. Sullivan is not on the admissions committee, but she is the one that grants the interview... so in a sense she is the gatekeeper. Without her initial positive review, your application wouldn't even make it to the admission committee table.

10. That speech was by far the best I heard at any interview. Very sincere and honest. Most importantly, Mrs. Sullivan never said Georgetown is better that others.... just different. She was never trying to compare Georgetown with anywhere else... just trying to give you an accurate picture of the medical school and to let you figure out if it fits you.

11. zancudo

zancudo Member

To be honest, I thought she was a bit strange. She made me nervous for the entire information session :p

12. Nicholas

Nicholas Junior Member

Hi UCLA2001 and Darwin,

I'm curious. What did Mrs. Sullivan have to say about Georgetown?

Nick

13. Nicholas,

To tell you the truth, I dont remember much of it (it was like 30 minutes long). She just explained how GUs philosophy was not to just treat the disease but to cure the mind, body, and soul of the patient. She also told us about the lots of patient exposure that you see as a 1st year and 2nd year. From what I have heard... it is much more than other schools. As a 3rd year .... you have the responsibilites of a 1st year resident (intern). You are not told the diagnosis or treatments! You must come up with them yourself and do it. Someone does have to sign off what you are doing ... as if you are an intern but will only makes changes if you are making a radical mistake. The hours sounded like a painful experience, but at the same time, a great learning experience.

But I think the most impressive thing Mrs. Sullivan did was not to spit out numbers or anything like that to compare themselves to other schools.... but just to let you know what the medical school was like and to let you see if if was right for you. She expressed her concern for applicants picking schools that are not right for them and hating their medical school experience.

14. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

Howdy folks. ucla2001 laid it out pretty well. Couple addt'l comments I remembered from Thursday were
    "here at georgetown you will treat the mind, body and soul. oh you dont like that word 'soul' because you're atheist or agnostic? fine, replace with a different word like.."

"none of you have acceptances to you first choice school or else you wouldn't be hear today, is that correct?"

Felt a little prepared by the spiel (from SDN of course!) so I was really looking to her presentation of it. It didn't seem too rehearsed or rote despite the number of times she has probably stated it over the last few years.

15. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member

Hey USeF I sent you a private msg.