• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Blue24

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So this application cycle isn't looking all that promising. I was thinking of attending georgetown's masters in physiology program (its pretty much just the first year of medical school) next year and reapplying. is anyone here in that program or know much about it?

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Timmythemic22

Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
NJ
Status (Visible)
I did it last year. It's a great program and very competitive. PM me for details.

About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Moving to the postbac forum. check out my thread at the top- The official guide to SMP programs, it should be helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions

TheGalvaniFrog

Dissected & Electrocuted
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I am doing the program right now. Feel free to PM or ask here any questions.

mlcal06

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
hello!
i was just curious if you applied this year, or will be applying for the next.. and how have your classmates who applied while in the program been faring?
i've heard ~60% get in while in the program and just wondering what sets those people apart..

TheGalvaniFrog

Dissected & Electrocuted
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hello!
i was just curious if you applied this year, or will be applying for the next.. and how have your classmates who applied while in the program been faring?
i've heard ~60% get in while in the program and just wondering what sets those people apart..

The obvious answer is that they are the ones getting good grades.

Another factor could be that SMP students tend to interview late in the season. A lot of schools will hold off on reviewing your application if you are doing a SMP until your grades are in. It makes sense for them, as they would like to see how well you fared before extending a interview. For Georgetown, your fall semester grades become available in the beginning of Janurary. So a lot of students will receive the bulk of their interviews in Janurary, Feb or March, rather late in the cycle.

There is also a small percentage of people who didn't apply to med schools during the SMP year.

PistolPete

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Anybody know what day of the week the admissions director(s) meet for the Georgetown SMP to decide acceptances? Or does it vary?

drbear

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Submitted my app. to the SMP program last week. Any current or past SMPers, how long did it take for the ad com to get back to you? Did they email or mail acceptance to you? Also, I read on the website that they occationally interview people. Did any of you interview and was it in-person or over the phone. Thanks

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I applied really early in the process (like Jan 1) and I heard back within three weeks, I think. I received an emial about my acceptance to the program, and then an official acceptance from GT in the mail a couple weeks later.

I was not interviewed, but one of my classmates was. I think they use interviews mostly in the case of people who they think the extra information will make a difference. I only know of one person from my class who interviewed. The interview was in person.

Submitted my app. to the SMP program last week. Any current or past SMPers, how long did it take for the ad com to get back to you? Did they email or mail acceptance to you? Also, I read on the website that they occationally interview people. Did any of you interview and was it in-person or over the phone. Thanks

dchou

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I applied on Jan 6.. Heard back in about three weeks via email!! Life is good... :)

drbear

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for the input,

For anymore current SMPers, I'm a little worried about my chances of getting into this competitive program.

I've got a 3.22 cum gpa, 3.0 science, but I've had a major upward trend in my GPA the past 3 years and I've been getting 3.5+ pretty much every quarter. MCAT is 10ps, 11bio, 11verb. I have extensive in-depth clinical/research/volunteer activities, a publication...tons of leadership...good letters....etc. In other words, I'm not worried about that stuff, I'm mainly worried about my GPA.

So...current SMPers, any insight on the academic portion of getting accepted to the SMP program? As I posted before, I submitted my application last week and I should be getting my last letter in this week, thus making my application complete.

I'm super stoked about this program. Really hoping to get in! Any advice, and also who should I call to check in on my app? Thanks everyone.

About the Ads

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the input,

For anymore current SMPers, I'm a little worried about my chances of getting into this competitive program.

I've got a 3.22 cum gpa, 3.0 science, but I've had a major upward trend in my GPA the past 3 years and I've been getting 3.5+ pretty much every quarter. MCAT is 10ps, 11bio, 11verb. I have extensive in-depth clinical/research/volunteer activities, a publication...tons of leadership...good letters....etc. In other words, I'm not worried about that stuff, I'm mainly worried about my GPA.

So...current SMPers, any insight on the academic portion of getting accepted to the SMP program? As I posted before, I submitted my application last week and I should be getting my last letter in this week, thus making my application complete.

I'm super stoked about this program. Really hoping to get in! Any advice, and also who should I call to check in on my app? Thanks everyone.

Well I'm a past SMPer, not a current one, but I think you'll get in. With a 3.0+ science and overall GPA, 30+ MCAT and an upward trend it would be surprising if you weren't accepted. And you applied early too (they get about half of their apps in May/June) which helps since they are rolling.

Talk to Ms. Cabiness to check on your app, but it usually takes a few weeks. Don't want to push too hard.

manhattanq

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
On their application, it says you can write "see AMCAS" for the "personal statement", but what about the 500-word writing sample? Do you need to submit one of those, as well?

drbear

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
On their application, it says you can write "see AMCAS" for the "personal statement", but what about the 500-word writing sample? Do you need to submit one of those, as well?

Don't worry about the 500 word writing sample. If you have your PS on your AMCAS that is all they want/need. When I filled out the online app. I left all the "resume" and "writing sample" stuff blank and it was fine. Your PS attached with your AMCAS is all they want.

dchou

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Ssquared,
UG-BCPM 3.14, UG-GPA 3.28; MCAT V9 P12 B13 (34Q); applied 1/06.. Hope that answers your questions. My undergrad record sucked.. it feels good to be given a 'second chance' in life! :)

ssquared

10+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
sitting on the dock of the bay...
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Hey Ssquared,
UG-BCPM 3.14, UG-GPA 3.28; MCAT V9 P12 B13 (34Q); applied 1/06.. Hope that answers your questions. My undergrad record sucked.. it feels good to be given a 'second chance' in life! :)

Thanks! Nice MCAT score! No wonder you heard back so quickly-they must be dying to have you in their program. :p

drbear

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd just give everyone applying to Georgetown a heads up. Last week my transcript was finally checked off on my application, but my MCAT scores weren't. This kinda concerned me because I released my scores back in Jan. So I emailed Georgetown and they got back to me the next day, saying that a mistake had been made and they checked off my MCAT scores that same day.

So if it's been more then two weeks since you've submitted your application and your materials haven't been checked as received, just email them.

[email protected]

From that experience above, they seem to be on top of checking student inquiries. :thumbup:

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
did anyone get the postcard about the GEMS program from Georgetown this weekend? The website says over 90% of the participants are accepted into GT medschool. Is this program the equivalent of the SMP program for disadvantaged students? do they earn a masters?

DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
did anyone get the postcard about the GEMS program from Georgetown this weekend? The website says over 90% of the participants are accepted into GT medschool. Is this program the equivalent of the SMP program for disadvantaged students? do the earn a masters?

Hey, i got the Postcard as well. I think this program is MUCH BETTER if you are a URM. I think theres more of a "linkage" for URMs if they go this route. Since, Im not a URM, I will be applying to the SMP only :oops:

wutwinb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 26, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
did anyone get the postcard about the GEMS program from Georgetown this weekend? The website says over 90% of the participants are accepted into GT medschool. Is this program the equivalent of the SMP program for disadvantaged students? do they earn a masters?

i was planning on applying to this program before i saw the $130 application fee for GEMS. it's ridiculous that a program for disadvantaged student is that pricey. I wanted to apply to both programs since the SMP has more spots, but there is no way i can give G-town $250 in application fees for both programs...

About the Ads

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i was planning on applying to this program before i saw the $130 application fee for GEMS. it's ridiculous that a program for disadvantaged student is that pricey. I wanted to apply to both programs since the SMP has more spots, but there is no way i can give G-town $250 in application fees for both programs...

If you qualify for the GEMS program, it provides you with a MUCH better shot at getting into med school than does the SMP (at least for getting into Georgetown med).

sway367

10+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This is probably directed more towards those that are in the program, I was wondering what my chances are of getting into the SMP program this year. My Undergrad GPA is a 3.1 (hopefully higher if I don't mess up this semester) and an MCAT of 31P (B12, P10, V9) although I have to take over in May since it expires after this cycle. Since I'm like literally on the edge of their admissions cutoffs, I guess I'm hoping for some luck. Right now I'm still awaiting a decision from them.

Also, is Drexel IMS slightly easier to get into? I know it's a similar program and maybe with my stats a better chance? Thanks for the help:)

TheGalvaniFrog

Dissected & Electrocuted
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is probably directed more towards those that are in the program, I was wondering what my chances are of getting into the SMP program this year. My Undergrad GPA is a 3.1 (hopefully higher if I don't mess up this semester) and an MCAT of 31P (B12, P10, V9) although I have to take over in May since it expires after this cycle. Since I'm like literally on the edge of their admissions cutoffs, I guess I'm hoping for some luck. Right now I'm still awaiting a decision from them.

Also, is Drexel IMS slightly easier to get into? I know it's a similar program and maybe with my stats a better chance? Thanks for the help:)

your numbers are pretty close to average for matriculants of this SMP. So I would think your chances are pretty good.

socal78

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Does Georgetown send you an email notifying you that they have received all your application material? My online status shows everything received as of the last two weeks. Also, do they notify you via email or postal mail whether you have been accepted?

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I believe they typically send an email to let you know that everything has been received. My guess would be that if it says online that you are complete, but you didn't get an email, that it is either:

A. an oversight.
B. a delay - your email is coming, they just haven't gotten it out yet.

But either way, I'm pretty sure you're fine.

I remember when I was accepted they notified me by email first, and then a few weeks later I got a letter from the school.

Does Georgetown send you an email notifying you that they have received all your application material? My online status shows everything received as of the last two weeks. Also, do they notify you via email or postal mail whether you have been accepted?

About the Ads

halekulani

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
the website says 3.0/27 mcat

you have to have a good reason to not have a 3.0

drbear

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey,

If anyone else is accepted and heading out to Georgetown for the SMP program message me because I'm trying to find housing. I'm used to paying around $500/month where I'm at now...sad that's going to change. If anyone else is looking for a roomate or something let me know. Thanks.

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Drbear,

Congrats on coming to the SMP! I look forward to seeing you in a few months.

FYI, there is also a housing list-serve (other users may be able to give more detail about it, I did not use it) that will become more active as we approach summer. Further, Ms. Cabiness often keeps a list of people looking for housing and will match them up with other students.

Finally, you may want to start a whole new thread with your request as more students get accepted. You may get more attention if your post is in a thread titled "SMP housing" or somesuch.

Good luck next year and get ready for a wild year!

Hey,

If anyone else is accepted and heading out to Georgetown for the SMP program message me because I'm trying to find housing. I'm used to paying around $500/month where I'm at now...sad that's going to change. If anyone else is looking for a roomate or something let me know. Thanks.

PistolPete

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey,

Hey Dr. Bear,

I'm also looking to find cheap housing in DC, and I figure that the best way will be to live in a house with a bunch of SMPers. PM me to discuss details, location etc.

-Pete

lackoftalent

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey everybody,

What are people's thought regarding Georgetown vs. Drexel IMS. I have been accepted to Georgetown and am still waiting to hear from Drexel. I'm assuming this forum is partial to Georgetown, but I'm trying to assess the advantages of Georgetown over Drexel. They both report around the same first year acceptance rates. I'm trying to figure all this out financially and it seems to me that if I could save around 10K going to Drexel, wouldn't it make more sense to go there? Do you think there are advantages to Georgetown over Drexel? If so, what would they be?

Thanks so much.

ashmarj

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey Dr. Bear,

I'm also looking to find cheap housing in DC, and I figure that the best way will be to live in a house with a bunch of SMPers. PM me to discuss details, location etc.

-Pete
Hey Drbear and Pete,

I just got accepted to Georgetown SMP and definitely will be attending in the fall. I'm interested in anything you find out about housing in or around DC, as well as potentially living, as you said, with other SMPers. :)

DarwinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey so I'm applying right now to the SMP (I know, kinda late) and I'm trying to get my LORs sent. Can I just use Interfolio? or do I have to do their online submission thing?

thanks

ilovescience

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey everybody,

What are people's thought regarding Georgetown vs. Drexel IMS. I have been accepted to Georgetown and am still waiting to hear from Drexel. I'm assuming this forum is partial to Georgetown, but I'm trying to assess the advantages of Georgetown over Drexel. They both report around the same first year acceptance rates. I'm trying to figure all this out financially and it seems to me that if I could save around 10K going to Drexel, wouldn't it make more sense to go there? Do you think there are advantages to Georgetown over Drexel? If so, what would they be?

Thanks so much.

Classes are via a live video feed at Drexel not on the main medical school campus, although they have shuttles that can take you to and from. My interviewer said you don't really go to the med campus though, and sometimes there are technical difficulties and you can't view the lecture. The lecture halls can't accommodate all of its medical students period and some choose to watch it via video feed as well, but IMS students are missing out on the medical school environment. After one year, it's a cerificate granting program, with an optional second year (if you qualify) to get your master's degree. At georgetown, classes are with first year medical students, although there will be lots of students in your class (150 SMP + 150 medical students? I think). It's a year program. I personally like physically being in class with the medical students. I'm sure there are other pros and cons.

DocBez83

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2007
Central California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
ilovescience - you are totally right about all that

it would suck not to be in the same classes as that...pretty much I think Georgetown SMP is the superior program (its the oldest of its kind in the country and highly reputable) but if you're in no hurry and in a crunch financially, drexel might be the way to go and still achieve similar results. since they dont give you the M.S. until after the second year they wont charge you for it until then; and some people dont need all that much help to get in to a med school the 2nd time around

hope that helps

to any SMP-ers im moving to d.c. from California early July, anyone else gonna be there that early?

halekulani

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
still waiting to hear....application was completed on the 29th. almost a full month :[

ack. noticed my check wasn't cashed until the 16th!!!

i guess i won't be hearing until next month if anything.

wchen84

10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I received an email telling me I passed the first review a couple weeks ago--

what should I expect with regards to the second review (timeline, etc)?

what are their selection criteria in each review?

how do they emphasize grades, mcat, and extracurriculars? --those of you who have been accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? [pm welcome!]

Thanks!

:)

imrep1972

15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I received an email telling me I passed the first review a couple weeks ago--

what should I expect with regards to the second review (timeline, etc)?

what are their selection criteria in each review?

how do they emphasize grades, mcat, and extracurriculars? --those of you who have been accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? [pm welcome!]

Thanks!

:)
I think they usually start to really examine their waitlist after their application deadline. I believe that is May 15 this year.

drpremedstudent

2+ Year Member
May 1, 2015
Hey All.

What is the minimum requirement for the SMP? My sGPA is 2.87 and cGPA is 2.83 and my MCAT is 490 which I will be retaking. Do I have a shot to even apply? Thanks.

DocJanItor

2+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey, I just wanted to respond to your question about GT SMP program. Unfortunately, you necrobumped an 11 year old thread. Next time you should look for the most recent thread about a school.

In short, your stats won't be competitive for the SMP program. Anyone who is below a 3.0 GPA has to get a waiver from the graduate school. While that happens every year, the students who get those generally have high MCATs. This shows that they CAN master the material but that they just need the chance for grade repair.

At this point I would suggest possibly doing a little DIY post-bacc to try and get your grades up. At the same time, those courses can help you prepare for the MCAT. If you can get your GPA above 3.0 and/or sufficiently boost your MCAT then you'll have a good shot at being accepted to the SMP.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.