Nafis64

5+ Year Member
May 20, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
So I applied this cycle and received 3 interviews in the cycle and waiting to hear back for an acceptance (keeping fingers crossed). Already wait listed at one. I am really hoping on getting an acceptance this cycle, but if not then my backup plan is to apply SMPs which I got into at tufts and Georgetown, and MPH schools (only applied to Johns hopkins and got in). If worst comes to worst I need to reserve my seat at either Gtown or JHU for next year asap. Now here are the specifics: my gpa and mcat probably were holding me back because I applied broadly to MD schools. GPA ~3.45, and science is lower. MCAT is low 30s. but I am on an upward trend GPA and did a postbac last year raising it.

I am super excited and happy to get into Johns Hopkins for an MPH because it is such an awesome school (#1 ranked) and I've been working in public health since I graduated for 2 years. Now, I envision myself getting an MPH during my med school career, and it would fit in my overall application very well. I would really want to go there, but med is school is my main goal and I heard that an MPH might not help as much as post-bac work or an SMP. People generally say it is an extracurricular and not anything substantial. Yet, i feel an MPH which is the best school for public health would be very good. And at the same time, i feel that paying so much money for an SMP which is essentially a worthless degree on its own is not worth it.

I would also hope to get a couple pubs before applying from where i work, and some abstracts that would also help.

I want to apply this summer and not wait around for another year and both options are one year which is good. What do you guys think?

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd do the mph, with your grades/mcat you don't need a smp.

halekulani

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status
Medical Student
georgetown smp

if you really want an MPH, your future med school will be the first to offer you a dual degree.

MeatTornado

On Sabbatical
10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2008
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
JHU MPH would be impressive, if not for admissions then later on in your career

I would suggest your #1 priority right now should be to show an interest in the schools you are waitlisted at in the hopes that they'll let you in. If that doesn't work then absolutely go to JHU! Assuming we're talking about the 1 year MPH you can do it while you reapply...if it's a 2 year MPH then you'll have to wait a year to reapply. I don't see a need for a SMP ...too much work and too high risk.

if you really want an MPH, your future med school will be the first to offer you a dual degree.
MPH from your future med school <<<< MPH from JHU

...unless you go to a med school with a highly ranked MPH program (like ~ top 10) which is unlikely given your stats

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
JHU MPH would be impressive, if not for admissions then later on in your career.

MPH from your future med school <<<< MPH from JHU

...unless you go to a med school with a highly ranked MPH program (like ~ top 10) which is unlikely given your stats
+1 :thumbup:

An SMP seems unnecessary here since your grades are okay, and the fact that you've got a chance to go to JHU for an MPH is pretty huge.