SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Georgetown Summer Medical Institute?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by zk450, May 19, 2014.

1. zk450

zk450

May 19, 2014
    Can anyone offer advice on whether or not this program is worth the $$$?

Is it better to spend your undergrad summer doing research or taking a GSMI course? Thanks

Any advice is helpful

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. alpinism

alpinism Give Em' the Jet Fuel 5+ Year Member

Why are you thinking of taking the courses?

Honestly it depends on your situation.

4. zk450

zk450

May 19, 2014
    To just add more experience. I came to pre-med after engineering (I'm an upperclassman), so I'm looking to show dedication to medicine.

I have research, policy, ECs, and TA experience - just looking to prove more of an academic focus towards medicine.

Thank you!!!

5. zk450

zk450

May 19, 2014
    Also

I have a 3.75 (1 C - a few Bs - mostly A's), with challenging courses (sometimes I've taken the max # with science courses/research).

Is it better to stay and take classes at my home institution to raise my GPA or to invest in this program? Thanks

6. alpinism

No problem.

Your GPA is solid. Whether or not you are competitive for med school will mainly depend on your MCAT regardless of your undergrad major.

GSMI is a great program but it's expensive as you already know. Usually its recommended for pre-meds who are trying to prove that they can handle med school courses (i.e. applicants without a strong science background or who have below average GPAs).

If you've never taken an anatomy/physiology/histology course and have the money to spare then its a great way to see if med school is right for you.

I took the gross anatomy course back in 2010 (my info might be outdated). It's challenging - you take it with med students and cover all of gross anatomy except head and neck in 6 weeks, but the professors are amazing and you learn a ton. Plus it looks good when applying to med schools and you can get a great LOR form the course director if you do well.

7. zk450

zk450

May 19, 2014
    Is it a respected summer option by medical schools?

Did it help you during the application process?
    Thanks so much!

8. alpinism

Yes Gtown is very well respected.

Its not a magic bullet however. Med schools mostly care about UG GPA, MCAT, clinical experience, community service, research, and leadership.

If you do well it will give you a small boost but it won't make up for any deficiencies in the above categories.

Can't say for sure how much it helped. All I can say is that I had a very successful application cycle after completing the program in addition to doing an SMP at Gtown.

9. zk450

zk450

May 19, 2014
    What was the weekly time commitment for a class?