Georgetown v. UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qwerty2113

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have narrowed down my list of medical schools to Georgetown and UT Southwestern, both seem like great schools and I was hoping for more insight into what experiences students have had at each school

Georgetown

Pros: D.C. seems like a great place to go the medical school, great reputation, on an undergraduate campus (I will be 20 when I matriculate)

Cons: high tuition, cost of living, not sure if it is a better school than UTSW

UTSW

Pros: affordable tuition, close to my family, great match lists

Cons: I was hoping to go out of state for medical school

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on what the atmosphere is like at both schools, thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Cost of attendance wise: You're looking at ~45K/yr for UTSW vs. 90K/yr for Georgetown. UTSW has a better ranking & stronger reputation. From your post, it sounds like you would be happier at Georgetown, but would you be nearly 50K/yr happier? What are your career goals?

I am hoping to go into surgery, but I’m not sure yet

If you have accetpances to both UTSW is the easy choice here, better ranked, less expensive and a better school. You can always go out of state for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was also accepted to (and am currently debating attending) Georgetown SOM. I totally understand your hesitation on deciding where to go. UTSW is definitely technically better ranked/a larger research institution...but if you do not want to stay in TX, then going to Georgetown will by no means hold you back. Look at how strong their match list is across the country, especially in specialty surgery. They're a machine. Clearly, residency directors recognize and respect the GT name.

Outside of TX, honestly, people just kind of...don't care about/aren't familiar with schools in the state. If you want to go to GT, don't let money hold ya back! Just telling you, it is well-known across the country!

It's still prestigious/a great school, regardless of what USNWR decided- you can go anywhere from GT for residency, esp. in surgery!

Doesn't Georgetown still have ABC grading vs pass/fail? Not 100% if they ever made the switch but if not I'd avoid

Agree with Lucca. UTSW will give you a significant edge in surgery. And they are cheaper.

As someone who also got into both of these schools...you'd be insane to pick Georgetown over UTSW. At the end of 4 years at GT you will be almost HALF A MILLION in debt. Truly. The loans they offered equaled almost ~100k/year. UTSW is one of the cheapest medical schools in the country, ESPECIALLY with in-state tuition. Also, the hospitals for UTSW are wayyy nicer, larger, etc. I was so unimpressed by Med Star. I live in DC right now so I get the appeal of wanting to live here...but live here once your a physician making money. It is expensive.

Reactions: 2 users
You folks are about to make this homie feel real awkward if they didn't make the life choice you expect/demand. lol

Reactions: 5 users