Georgetown vs Minnesota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannabeadoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide, and it's tough. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I like Minnesota :)

I haven't seen GT, so I can't really evaluate their program.

A few pros to the U of M as I see it:

- The U of M is a huge university with many departments (and an "academic health center"). The AHC has a school of nursing, school of pharmacy, school of public health, college of veterinary medicine, school of dentistry. Not sure if GT has any or all of these.

- The U of M has tons of research going on.

- Tuition. My understanding is that everybody admitted this year is given in-state tuition. Granted, it's an expensive public school, but it's still cheaper than most (all?) private schools.

-Minneapolis and the Twin Cities are very livable (high quality of life).

- A variety of affiliated hospitals. County medical centers (Hennepin County Medical Center and Regions/Ramsey), a VA (Minneapolis VA), University (Fairview-University), and private hospitals (Abbot-Northwesterns, United and Children's). Not sure what GT offers, but I think the U of M offers just about anything your looking for.

- Wireless ethernet in all lecture halls for first and second year students, in the med school lounge, and in various other places.

- good training in primary care and rural medicine (RPAP) if that's your thing.

- MD/MPH program (1 additional year) is now available (my understanding is that if you want to do it, you're pretty much guaranteed acceptance)

- A TON of elective/free time during clerkships during MS3 and MS4. I forget the exact number (50 weeks, nearly a full year?), but it's possibly the most free time of any medical school. So you can take time off to visit/interview at residency programs, do optional clerkships, study abroad, do research, whatever.

- If you want to do a resiency in Minnesota, the U of M may be a better choice (clerkship with the program, name-recognition, demonstrated proof of committment to the people of MN, etc).

Originally posted by Adcadet
I like Minnesota :)

I wonder why?:laugh: :laugh:

I've seen G'town up close and personal. I'm interested in cancer research and quite a few of the researchers have left for reasons I can't get into here. Bottom line is that if this were my choice, I'd go to Minnesota.

I also think it would be cool to have Adcadet as a classmate to look up to!;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pathdr2b
I wonder why?:laugh: :laugh:

I realize that this wasn't a serious question, but it deserves a most serious response. How can you consider an institution who's mascot is the Hoyas (Georgetown), Hawkeyes (Iowa), or the Badgers (Wisconsin). No, what you need is not just a mascot, but one with a cute adjective as part of it's name. This limits it down to mascots like the Fighting Irish (Norte Dame), Demon Deacons (Wake Forest), or the Red Tide (Alabama). But no institution's mascot can be nearly as overpowering, if only for it's creativity and lack of threatening connotations, as the Minnesota Golden Gophers. How can you not love a school where at any moment, from behind the bushes, this might jump out (http://www.r.umn.edu/images/Goldie-UMR.jpg) for a burst of school pride and a little passive aggressive self-depreciation.

Indeed, forget the reasons above for coming to Minnesota. In fact, in a recent poll, most (42%) faculty members answered "agree" to the statement "the University of Minnesota would be nowhere without Goldie, the Golden Gopher," and an overwhelming number (38%) of medical students responded in the affirmative* when asked if they would leave the U of M if Goldie retired or moved on to a different phase in his career.

Nuf said!

*An affirmative response was considered anytime a subject answered "yes," "uh-huh," "uff-da!" or didn't walk away.
I also think it would be cool to have Adcadet as a classmate to look up to!;)

Gee, thanks. But she only likes the Golden Gopher in me, I'm sure.

Obviously the debate over GTown and Minnesota is over ;)

Bob Dole is just scared of being mauled by a rabid gopher

I apologize that it's been awhile since I've replied and I appreciate the response and opinions. Right now I'm leaning toward Georgetown for a few reasons, one being that I've spent my entire life (including 5 years of undergrad at the U) in the Minneapolis area, so I would like to expand my horizons. From what I've researched, both are wonderful schools, so either way I would receive a great education, but besides the medical education aspect is the life experience aspect. Thanks again for the great replies!