Georgetown Vs. UC Davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tontondavid

UC Davis Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am totally confused. :confused:

I have a pretty good idea on what GU has to offer (thanks to a long talk by Ms. Sullivan...) but I have less of an idea about UC Davis.

Apart from the difference in tution, what do you guys think about these schools?? (pros and cons?)

Help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure...But I know one thing for sure, I bet Jlee will tell you to pick GTown ;)

I dont think there is even an issue here! I'd go to UC Davis in 1/3 of a heartbeat! Trust me on this one. please. GU isnt all its cracked up to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at Davis in the fall, have talked to a a lot of med students there, did a research summer there, went to second look. So let me tell you what I have picked up from all of those experiences.

Pros:

Amazing student run clinics that you can get involved with early on
Laid-back, really nice student body, P/F grades 1st 2 yrs, H/P/F clinical yrs
Really supportive administration that seems to care about students and wants them to succeed
Amazing medical center that treats everyone and everything in all of NorCal from just north of Oakland to the Oregon border
Sacramento is very diverse so you'll have a really diverse patient population in addition too all the serious stuff that comes in from all over NorCal
Davis is a college town, good place to study for 1st 2 years
Cost of living is lower than at most other UC schools and in Washington, DC
If you want community medicine/primary care it's a great place. This year's 4th years class had a lot of people match into specialties too so it's not just a primary care school
Some new research stuff going on, including new genetics facilities
Still cheaper tuition than a private
New college system being implemented to help to integrate the classes and connect students with faculty and community docs

Cons:
Some students who wanted to do a competitive specialty complained it was harder to get research opportunities here than elsewhere, others said if you looked for it you could easily find it
Summer after first year is somewhat shorter than at other schools (they are going to change the schedule for class that enters in 2005)
Location is bad for some people, esp. those who are used to a more urban experience (Sacto is definitely not Washington, DC)
UC professional school tuition seems relatively unstable since the budget problems are not being addressed. Since it has doubled in 2 years we can't be sure what will happen in coming years
Student-run clinics are the main place to get clinical experiences prior to the clinical rotations so you have to take initiative to have that experience if you want it

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more if I can think of something. Hope that helps.

I forgot to say, I would personally pick Davis over almost any out-of-state school because I want to stay here, and to get a California residency. UCD grads match pretty well, most stay in-state, which is a big pro for me because I want to make connections in Northern California. I do not know anything about Georgetown but it seems to get some strong criticism on here. Having just gotten back from a trip to DC, I do it would be a cool city to live in for awhile though.

exmike said:
I dont think there is even an issue here! I'd go to UC Davis in 1/3 of a heartbeat! Trust me on this one. please. GU isnt all its cracked up to be.

Do you mind me asking why you would pick Davis?

Also, thanks for all the replies, you guys rock!

Why do I have a feeling people don't like Georgetown??? For those who are pro GU, this is time to do some explanin' :D

Thanks guys...

I interviewed at both schools, and when I got my acceptance to UC Davis, I withdrew my application from Georgetown. For me personally, I liked most everything about Davis beter: the curricululum (more freedom), the grading (Davis' Pass/Fail vs. High Honors/Honors/Pass/Low Pass/Fail for Georgetown), its hospitals & clinics, and of course, the cost. And I'd like to do my residency in California. I think the only thing I would've preferred about Georgetown is the location - you clearly get a more urban experience at DC vs Davis/Sacramento.

I do think Mrs. Sullivan explains Georgetown's philosophy and its Catholic/Jesuit traditions pretty well - and I think Georgetown would be a perfect fit for some people, and it might be for you as well. :) But I knew that of the two, a UC school like Davis would be the better school for me.

I would definitely pick UCDavis over Georgetown if you're instate. It has a great program, you can't beat the cost, and the grading system is definitely a plus. Seriously, drop G-town. You'll be glad you did. ;)

When I interviewed at Georgetown, Sullivan told us, "Don't come here unless you can't get into your state school." My interviewer told me, "You'll get into other schools, don't come here. I know there are better schools out there, and this is not one of them."

Go to UC-D. I think it is a no-brainer....especially if you are instate. Heck, with teh difference in tuition, you can fly to DC every week and still come out ahead probably.

SunnyS81 said:
When I interviewed at Georgetown, Sullivan told us, "Don't come here unless you can't get into your state school." My interviewer told me, "You'll get into other schools, don't come here. I know there are better schools out there, and this is not one of them."

Go to UC-D. I think it is a no-brainer....especially if you are instate. Heck, with teh difference in tuition, you can fly to DC every week and still come out ahead probably.

How in the world does a school improve if they tell applicants to go elsewhere? That's only slighly better than BU's "reject the overqualified." With a philosophy like that, I'd suggest you go to a school that actually has pride in itself and seeks to improve rather than langer as gtown has apparently resigned itself to. Go to UC Davis

WOW.....I am completely stunned!!! It looks like everybody is "against" Georgetown. I would think that at least one person would tell me "yeah GU is better, go there", but it's an overwhelming "go to Davis".

Well, does anyone know if UC Davis has PBL?? Also, for LoneCoyote: did you have a chance to visit the Student Run Clinic? If yes, do you know to what extent the MS1 participate?
I am asking because we were told at GU that MS1 would have clinical exposure from day 1 writing meds, discharging patients etc... (of course under supervision).

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies, really!

Cheers...

While georgetown is a good school, i would argue UC davis is just as good, and half the price. Personally I find DC a difficult place to live although the city is great. GU's facilities leave a bit to be desired. Anyway, a chance to go to a UC med school is not one to pass up unless you're going to an elite school elsewhere.

tontondavid said:
WOW.....I am completely stunned!!! It looks like everybody is "against" Georgetown. I would think that at least one person would tell me "yeah GU is better, go there", but it's an overwhelming "go to Davis".

Well, does anyone know if UC Davis has PBL?? Also, for LoneCoyote: did you have a chance to visit the Student Run Clinic? If yes, do you know to what extent the MS1 participate?
I am asking because we were told at GU that MS1 would have clinical exposure from day 1 writing meds, discharging patients etc... (of course under supervision).

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the replies, really!

Cheers...

i'm pretty sure that davis does have some pbl, though i'm not positive. The student run clinics were awesome. First years have a ton of opportunity for clinical exposure. not only taking histories but also doing exams, procedures, blood draws etc. Basically, you learn as you go. when something comes up that you don't know how to do, someone shows you and you do it!

i loved davis. however, i've decided to pass up the opportunity to stay in california for the chance to head to pitt! but i know i would've been more than happy at davis. it's a great place.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year med students writing scripts? scary! i hope not.

Hey Exmike,

I know.....well that's what they said.
:D

Simple decision. There's no IN-N'-OUT in DC.

That's right one_notch_down!! :laugh:

Anybody knows if Davis has PBL then? (Sorry to be a pest)

Thanks....

tontondavid said:
did you have a chance to visit the Student Run Clinic? If yes, do you know to what extent the MS1 participate?

UC Davis student run clinics are probably the best and most independent of any I have seen. We have Clinics ranging from Clincia Tepati serving the Latino Community to Paul Hom serving the Asian Community to Shifa serving the Indian/Pakistani/Middle-Eastern communities. More than a third of the class rotates through our clinic. Starting from the 1st weekend the students arrive, they take patient histories with real patients, draw blood, prescribe medication (of course in consulatation with the preceptors). In addition, the community feel at the Clinics is amazing. I do not think any experience in ANY hospital is comparable to that of coming in to work in these free clinics. We serve only the uninsured...and you will see the difference you make on these patients' lives. Many of our patients come back year after year. In fact, one patient has been coming to our clinic since I was a freshman (4 years). All the clinics are wonderful places to feel the tangible effects of medicine.
Also, the medical students are given much independence to diagnose patients and improve their techniques of approaching sensitive subjects. Anyhow, I'll stop my rant. Send me a PM if you have any questions about the medical center or clinics. BTW, go to UCDavis. You'll love the place.
:)

-Harps

tontondavid said:

Thanks....

I do not think Davis has PBL...there might be some small group work. UCSB-premed can answer this question with more accuracy.

BTW, the In-N'-Out is off of Cowell BLVD. by Richards Exit. GREAT PLACE...

Also, you may wanna try Dos Coyotes for Mexican Food...Awesome....

-Harps

tontondavid said:

Thanks....

Oh yes we do. :D

Our PBL class is called Application of Medical Principles (AMP), a class which starts in the winter quarter of first year, and continues into your second year as the Doctoring 2 course.

Last quarter (and this quarter after mid-terms) groups of 6 students and two facilitators (one MD, on PhD faculty member) discussed various cases involving the material that we were studying at the time. The facilitators did just that, "facilitate," and rarely contributed to the discussion. They let us figure out what was going on.

For example, last quarter while studying cardiovascular in Physiology and Prostaglandin biology in Biochemistry, we had a 3 week case about a young woman who had a perpetual uterine bleed who was a Jehovah's witness and wouldn't take blood.

We therefore discussed her labs in relation to what happens in the body in response to hemorrhage, and things one can give to precipitate clotting (prostaglandins among others). It was pretty cool.

We had about 3 cases last quarter, and after our midterms this quarter (next week, yikes!) we will resume our PBL AMP class.

Davis is a great school, with great clinical exposure. How many first years can say they see 10-15 patients on a weekly basis? Not many.

And Harps, don't forget about Imani Clinic!!! ;)

stay away from georgetown. im a student here right now and trust me the shoddy facilities, teaching and pomp cant compare to what youll get at davis. i would kill to be at davis :D

tontondavid,

i think your questions have probably been answered already but i did go to 3 of the student run clinics at 2nd look and the students are doing everything they are comfortable doing from day 1. a couple of students said it was intimidating at first to just get thrown into doing exams and procedures, but that you learn quickly and gain a lot of confidence. you should go to the second look weekend. i know they are having another one in early may. i think it will give you a good sense of the school if you are still undecided.

Thanks to Harps and UCSBMed1 for your insight on the clinics and PBL!! I guess I have a better idea now.

Godmode: can you elaborate a little bit on why you don't like GU??? What year are you if I may ask?

LoneCoyote: thanks for letting me know about the revisit. I did miss the one in April. Strangely, I had asked Terri if there was going to be another one and she never replied. I am wondering if she gets my emails.....

Thanks again to all of you. You're da bomb.

Cheers.

I would call Terri and ask her about it. Calling them is the only way I have been able to get in contact with them.

UCSBMed1 said:
And Harps, don't forget about Imani Clinic!!! ;)

Oh, of course, another major major clinic that offers tremendous opportunities. Along with Tepati and Paul Hom, Imani is one of the oldest :)

-Harps

go ucdavis for just too many reasons to list.