Georgetown vs UMiami Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruberscoobix

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so lucky to have gotten accepted to these two incredible schools. But I have NO IDEA what to do, guys. No idea. Background: I went to college in Boston and have been living here since I graduated 2016. I completed an SMP (and so I'm about 100k in debt already....lol). My family lives in NY and my mother's health isn't great. Will be moving with my SO. I have a strong interest in pediatrics (hospital-based), possibly OBGYN, and urban medicine. What would you do if you were me? Thank you so much for your help!

Georgetown
PROS
-More "prestigious" school/best name recognition--this may matter more now with Step 1 change
-I loooved DC when I visited for my interview
-Jesuit (like my undergrad, so it feels familiar in a good way)
-GT is my "dream school" (has been the school I've been most excited about, but that shouldn't weigh too heavily)
-Has a Literature academic track--I love reading/writing and want to incorporate it into my career
-Kinda love the idea of being in DC for the 2020 election
-Slight adventure (moving out of the northeast, but staying reasonably close)
-Weather slightly better than Boston
-Good research
-According to students, good work/life balance
-Will probably be able to live close to campus
-Celebrates non-trad applicants like myself

CONS
-O m g it is expensive! And no scholarship opportunities. And I'm already 100k in debt.
-Preppy vibes (kill me)
-Cost of living is also expensive
-Don't really know anybody in DC
-Students seemed decently frustrated with the school (but I also interviewed during their finals week)
-Looks like nowhere near enough study spaces on campus

University of Miami Miller
PROS
- ~15K Cheaper than GT and Tufts and I might actually have a shot at some sort of scholarship (tbd...)
-Slightly cheaper cost of living than DC
-Love the city, culture, and weather (sick of freezing my a** off in Boston)
-My brother lives there now and my dad did his residency there
-The adventure! I've never lived anywhere like Miami and I'll likely never have the chance to live anywhere like Miami ever again, since I want to do residency in NY
-Amazinggg clinical opportunities (better than GT, IMO)
-Awesome research (better than GT, IMO)
-OK work/life balance
-Will have to learn Spanish (this is a pro for me, I know a little but I've always wanted to really learn it well)
-Even though UMMSM isn't as prestigious, I still think its students are respected for their clinical skills
-Will have an apartment in a really nice, beautiful area

CONS
-Will live a short train ride or car ride away from campus
-Don't know anybody but my brother
-Younger class of traditional students (I'll be 26 when I matriculate)
-Doesn't seem to be supportive of the humanities/right-brained people
-Really didn't connect with any of the current students I met on interview day
-I'm not petrified of flying, but I really don't like it and I don't like that I wouldn't have the option of driving or taking a train to NY

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown is 100k more over 4 years. Miami typically gives some type of small scholarship to all their students. I'd say Georgetown would at least need to offer up like 150k over 4 years. Personally much rather live in Miami over DC.

Also, I don't think GT would give that much of a benefit over Miami as far as name brand goes. We talking like rank 40 vs 50 here or whatever. Name brand difference probably wouldn't show itself until T25 vs. Miami

Disclosure: Accepted at Miami, never applied to GT.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I am so lucky to have gotten accepted to these two incredible schools. But I have NO IDEA what to do, guys. No idea. Background: I went to college in Boston and have been living here since I graduated 2016. I completed an SMP (and so I'm about 100k in debt already....lol). My family lives in NY and my mother's health isn't great. Will be moving with my SO. I have a strong interest in pediatrics (hospital-based), possibly OBGYN, and urban medicine. What would you do if you were me? Thank you so much for your help!

Georgetown
PROS
-More "prestigious" school/best name recognition--this may matter more now with Step 1 change
-I loooved DC when I visited for my interview
-Jesuit (like my undergrad, so it feels familiar in a good way)
-GT is my "dream school" (has been the school I've been most excited about, but that shouldn't weigh too heavily)
-Has a Literature academic track--I love reading/writing and want to incorporate it into my career
-Kinda love the idea of being in DC for the 2020 election
-Slight adventure (moving out of the northeast, but staying reasonably close)
-Weather slightly better than Boston
-Good research
-According to students, good work/life balance
-Will probably be able to live close to campus
-Celebrates non-trad applicants like myself

CONS
-O m g it is expensive! And no scholarship opportunities. And I'm already 100k in debt.
-Preppy vibes (kill me)
-Cost of living is also expensive
-Don't really know anybody in DC
-Students seemed decently frustrated with the school (but I also interviewed during their finals week)
-Looks like nowhere near enough study spaces on campus

University of Miami Miller
PROS
- ~15K Cheaper than GT and Tufts and I might actually have a shot at some sort of scholarship (tbd...)
-Slightly cheaper cost of living than DC
-Love the city, culture, and weather (sick of freezing my a** off in Boston)
-My brother lives there now and my dad did his residency there
-The adventure! I've never lived anywhere like Miami and I'll likely never have the chance to live anywhere like Miami ever again, since I want to do residency in NY
-Amazinggg clinical opportunities (better than GT, IMO)
-Awesome research (better than GT, IMO)
-OK work/life balance
-Will have to learn Spanish (this is a pro for me, I know a little but I've always wanted to really learn it well)
-Even though UMMSM isn't as prestigious, I still think its students are respected for their clinical skills
-Will have an apartment in a really nice, beautiful area

CONS
-Will live a short train ride or car ride away from campus
-Don't know anybody but my brother
-Younger class of traditional students (I'll be 26 when I matriculate)
-Doesn't seem to be supportive of the humanities/right-brained people
-Really didn't connect with any of the current students I met on interview day
-I'm not petrified of flying, but I really don't like it and I don't like that I wouldn't have the option of driving or taking a train to NY

Also accepted to Miami/didn't interview at GT so can't really comment on them...most likely attending Miller and will be the same age come matriculation. I had similar positive impressions on the clinical/research opportunities and chance to actively learn Spanish in a more immersive environment than most other schools. Average matriculant age was 24 last year so not too far off age-wise from us. I didn't "connect" with any current students either but I thought our interaction time was relatively low and personally didn't fault them for this; I think second look/actually interacting with people that will actually be in your class if you choose to attend is a much better gauge than interview day interactions with current students. I personally got a good work/life balance vibe from current students. I personally love warm weather + I'm from the DMV area so can't wait to get away from the cold but you've dealt with worse in Boston so DC should honestly be a piece of cake for you in comparison. Can't comment on their not being supportive of humanities/right brained people -- saw nothing that would lead me to think one way or the other about this. Not knowing anyone but your brother can be a plus and good for branching out but it could also be hard depending on how social/easily you make new friends. Maybe having to fly to get back home might help ease your fear/dislike of flying or that could just be an annoying thing to deal with. In light of step changes, I'm of the opinion that what you do/see while in school (clinical + research + community involvement) would help you more than the slight prestige boost you could get from a school that's ranked slightly higher

I'm also in the 19-20 applicant cycle and am also choosing between Georgetown and Miami Miller!! It's such a tough decision because the schools seem to be so different -- Georgetown is more established and connected and Miami seems more new and innovative. If you're still trying to decide, so am I, and I'd love to chat and reason this out together! Congrats on your acceptances, though. Such an exciting time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also in the 19-20 applicant cycle and am also choosing between Georgetown and Miami Miller!! It's such a tough decision because the schools seem to be so different -- Georgetown is more established and connected and Miami seems more new and innovative. If you're still trying to decide, so am I, and I'd love to chat and reason this out together! Congrats on your acceptances, though. Such an exciting time.

I would love to talk with you more about your decision! I'm in the same boat