1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Georgetown vs Vanderbilt

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Patsfan, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Patsfan

Patsfan Junior Member

I am very seriously considering going to Georgetown. I have an acceptance at Vanderbilt and a few waitlists (UChicago and some more), but I think I would really enjoy Georgetown and being in DC. I know it is not ranked that high, but I thought it was a pretty good place, and one where I could get a solid clinical education. Am I crazy for turning down a place like Vandy or a shot at UChicago in order to go there? What's the scoop on their match list? How happy are their students? Basically, what are the pros and cons of Georgetown? I'd really like some honest insight. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

I'd choose Vandy over Georgetown & Georgetown over UChicago.

$0.02

4. futrfysician

futrfysician Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the cost differential between Vandy and GU? If it is significant, like say 5-10k yearly, take the cheaper route. Each school will give you a solid education.

In the end of it, choosing a less expensive route will do you just fine. Remember, no one in the residency boards cares WHO you took Biochem and Path from. They look at that 3 digit score on te USMLE 1 and make a determination.

I know someone from a very dissed med school. She scored 99th percentile. Its all about you. Not the school.

5. zancudo

zancudo Member
    7+ Year Member

I hated Georgetown, so I guess I am kind of biased. I found Ms. Sullivan's talk mildly offensive, and the students I met altogether uninteresting. While the hospital system seems pretty good, I was not the least bit impressed with their facilities, etc.

That being said, I think you would be nuts to go there over either Vandy or UC.

Cheers!
    Z

6. franklinthedog

franklinthedog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i lived in the georgetown section of dc for 2 yrs and the city itself is really fun. if you can afford it that is....

7. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yup. you'd be crazy to turn down either of those for gtown. definitely a "B" school. DC is an awesome town, but so is nashville and so is chicago. you might need to get a new coat if you go to chi-town, but you'll be such a sweet doctor if you go to either place, compared to a variable experience at georgetown.