Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Georgetown have an secondary application?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they do. And it has a one-page essay about your reason(s) for applying to Georgetown and how a G'town SOM education fits into your long range goals (or something to that effect - sorry, it's been almost a year since I wrote that one so I don't remember the exact prompt).

And, of course, G'town wants more $ from you when you submit your secondary. Last year they sent a paper packet w/ the info - the secondary wasn't available online. Don't know what they'll do this year.

P.S. I don't think they pre-screen for secondaries. Or if they do, it's not very stringent (again, based on last year).

Thanks -- I was looking all over their website for a secondary and couldn't find one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Shayla is correct. Georgetown has a secondary but they do NOT screen for it. They do send you a letter saying that it is strongly advised that you do not finish the application unless you have at least a 10 in each MCAT section and a 3.6 science gpa. I had neither, applied last year, got waitlisted then accepted earlier this year. I think the letter is more discouraging than it has to be, but the $100 secondary fee is pretty high. And they do not waive fees.

Also, Gtown places a LOT of emphasis on a well-written secondary. If you get to the interview stage, you'll notice how much consideration gtown puts into matching applicants to Gtown's philosophy of medicine and how its taught. If you decide to apply to gtown, know and love Cura Personalis backwards and forwards cause it's a big determinant as to whether you get in or not. Good luck and make that one page very persuasive.

I guess I know who is going to go find out all she can about Cura Personalis now. :)

I can find nothing about Cura Personalis on the Georgetown SOM site (did a search). I know what it is, but should I mention it specifically? Or should I simply comment on how it matches my own philosophy WITHOUT mentioning it at all? I am leaning toward the second option (no specific mention) because I don't want it to seem like I pulled the term from nowhere just to impress them.

I ask because surfdevl02's comments make it seem like a must on this secondary essay.

On interview day, they spend an hour talking about cura personalis and how it is integrated into the curriculum. I think it' a great philosophy and I mentioned it at my actual interview.

So I guess I should mention it specifically

Also I'd like to clarify that I'm talking about the secondary at this point, rather than interview.

Thanks!

When I did my secondary I didn't exactly use the term because I too, felt uncomfortable just trying to stick it in without really understanding it well. Instead, I really spent alot of time learning about the school and the program, and then talked about their ethical and humanistic aproaches to medicine and how I feel my own sense of medicine is very similar.

I made it a very personal and thoughtful essay which I felt reflected well on my interests and their approaches. Maybe I should have tried to wiggle that term in, but it just felt too artificial for me. But I did describe the same ethical and spiritual considerations, which I felt were honest and sincere.