Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agreed. Southern & UGA = very similar, but at southern you must wear the obligatory fish hook on your baseball cap.

I know we don't get many med students from there, but SCAD students are very interesting. Average student: pink hair, only shops at Earth Fare or similar shops (but frequents Starbucks anyway), refers to the typical UGA/Southern student as "fake" (actually, refers to everyone without pink hair as "fake"). Listens to Bjork and international music, and can't stop talking about Yoga.

Agreed. :thumbup:

you forgot about the "those people are just trying to fit into a clic, while i'm going against the grain" and refusing to acknowledge that they too just fitting in with another clic. And most claim to be a vegan/vegetarian and only eat organic food and think that anyone who isnt a democrat is just stupid and ignorant, while they cannot tell you one of obama's policies for the life of them

Members don't see this ad.

Woh,

We're getting into some controversial generalizations here... Oh well, I'm staying out of it :)

Agreed. :thumbup:

you forgot about the "those people are just trying to fit into a clic, while i'm going against the grain" and refusing to acknowledge that they too just fitting in with another clic. And most claim to be a vegan/vegetarian and only eat organic food and think that anyone who isnt a democrat is just stupid and ignorant, while they cannot tell you one of obama's policies for the life of them

:D How many times have you changed your avatar today? I thought I changed mine often, but that's ridiculous!

So is the deadline to hear from EDP Oct.1 or Oct.31?

Do you guys have interview dates yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
:D How many times have you changed your avatar today? I thought I changed mine often, but that's ridiculous!

So is the deadline to hear from EDP Oct.1 or Oct.31?

Do you guys have interview dates yet?

I don't think interview invites have gone out yet. But, the deadline for hearing about EDP acceptances is October 1st. MCG interviews start ~August 16th and will run through the first week of September. That's what I've been told from my super stealth spy work (I work at MCG now :)

Lets not forget about the rich kids at emory who drive Mercedes and pay $40,000 a year for undergrad. Oh yeah and the Ga Tech kids who play video games 10 hours a day. :cool:

Would rep my school but that would give away my secret identity
*poof of smoke and I am gone*

acutally I planned to only change it once, but i kept on getting the wrong one lol I like my peaches

(note to self: never try to change SDN avatar from phone)

What we should all do is go here and relax :)

Vacationandmoving189.jpg

Last edited:
What we should all do is go here and relax :)

Vacationandmoving189.jpg

Wow that reminds me of my undergrad, now I am all nostalgic. That is sad considering I only graduated a little over two months ago.

Come on Scott... You gotta quit posting pics of the Green for people other than boaters. By the way if there is anyone else out there who can id this photo props!!!

Come on Scott... You gotta quit posting pics of the Green for people other than boaters. By the way if there is anyone else out there who can id this photo props!!!

It's not the Green :) Good guess though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Chattooga (Section 1 or the headwaters)?

I don't do much river stuff (I live near the marsh/coast, so we mainly waterski and shrimp with castnets) but I went on a ~5 hour tubing thing on a river in Tennessee, and it was quite relaxing. I would probably have fallen asleep if it were not for my two cousins (6 and 8) bumping into me every 5 minutes.

So can one of you fine folks tell me what Georgia is like? If I ever visited, it was on a road trip as a kid (passing through), and I'm not even sure I've done that. I've applied to Emory because it seems like an amazing school, but want to know a bit about the state. For comparison's purpose, I come from Toronto, which is like 8ish hours North, and really rather cold!

All I know are peaches and that girls with Georgian accents are insanely attractive.

If you're from Toronto, GA is gonna be a major change. Summers are really hot around 100 degrees with 100% percent humidity alot of the time. However if you like wearing shorts and t-shirts for most of the year, then you will love it. Plus you can't beat southern hospitality and cooking. And to top it off the SEC plays the best college football in the nation and the University of Georgia is ranked preseason #1 this year. UGA is located in Athens about an hour away from Emory and that makes all of the home games a possibility. As for the pic...Overflow???

I'm a temperate weather loving guy. Summers will be hell, but the winters sound lovely. What's the cooking like? Barbecue season all year round? Cajun food?

Overflow?

How is Atlanta? Is it a multicultural place? Can you find sushi? What's the night life like? How bad is the crime (relegated to a small areas, or rampant)?

Has anybody heard from Morehouse?

Southern cooking involves a lot of fried foods including chicken, pork scops, and okra (doubt you have heard of it) to name just a few. As for veggies squash, and turnip greens are of the few more typical southern dishes. The general theme in all of it is grease and a lot of it. Of course if you want to avoid an MI eating this constantly is not advisable. But every once and a while it can't be beat.

As for Atlanta I'll start by saying that I am by no means an expert on ATL itself, personally the traffic there sucks so bad that I try to avoid it at all costs especially between 4 and 7 on weekday afternoons. ATL does have a variety of cultural influence and I'm sure you can find any kind of food you want there. The night life is supposed to be pretty good and a lot of rappers come out of Atlanta but personally it's not my scene because I can't afford it. I stick to the college bars in Athens. Crime can be a problem but Emory is in a very nice area so it's not really a big deal there.

I interviewed and was accepted to Emory last year and it is an amazing school. However I got a waitlist offer and decided to go elsewhere, because it was a chance I just couldn't pass up. Emory uses Grady memorial as their teaching hospital and the CDC is literally right down the road from the med school. The dean of admissions Dr. Ira Schwartz is one of the nicest guys out there and will single handedly make you want to go to Emory.

Also, you're right about the southern girls, they really are the best lookin in the country.

By the way Overflow is a creek on the headwaters of the Chattooga river and is a great easy Class V kayaking run. Personally one of my favorites in the southeast.

Last edited:
I'm a temperate weather loving guy. Summers will be hell, but the winters sound lovely. What's the cooking like? Barbecue season all year round? Cajun food?

Overflow?

How is Atlanta? Is it a multicultural place? Can you find sushi? What's the night life like? How bad is the crime (relegated to a small areas, or rampant)?

The winters are short and the springs are early and very nice. They start about beginning of march (when it starts to break the 60's) and won't be full fledged 90+ until june. Atlanta, like any other big city has its crime riddled neighbor hoods, but emory is it's own little community (like many neighborhoods in atl). The bad parts in atlanta are mostly south of I-20 (turner field and below). If you stay out of these areas, you will be fine. Northern atl (buckhead, west paces etc) is where all the super rich folk live. As for cajun food, that's mostly in new orleans, but we have it, you just have to find it. Most of the well known southern foods are fried in some way or another, but there is plenty of food that isnt and all of which is very very good. BBQ is all year round and people do freak out when it snows at all.

edit: you'll know the true meaning of "southern belle" and atl is a very very diverse city. and there is plenty of sushii to be had

Last edited:
Atlanta is like any other big city. Not much different. You will be able to experience southern culture, but you won't be immersed in it... not really. 9 out of 10 people in ATL don't even really have "noticable" accents anymore. You can find any kind of food you want there.

doublepost

Last edited:
Nantahala is the river in that picture :) PS...Ryan.. Are you at Wash U now?

lol. I just literally got back from hiking up Blood Mtn. today. I would post some pics to rival that one but I left my camera cable at college. Any of you guys ever been to tallulah gorge? I discovered that place this summer and it is amazing. Rock slide at the end is the best.

I should have known that considering I have run the Cascades a million times. Nice low water pic though. I leave for Wash U on Saturday for a pre-orientation program, orientation officially starts on the 12th, and class starts on the 18th. Good luck to all!!!

lol. I just literally got back from hiking up Blood Mtn. today. I would post some pics to rival that one but I left my camera cable at college. Any of you guys ever been to tallulah gorge? I discovered that place this summer and it is amazing. Rock slide at the end is the best.

I likeOrto, and myself, do a lot of kayaking. I believe that we have both kayaked the gorge! There's 2 big slides in there that are in the section that we run. One is this one (not my picture).

1445.jpg

Good fun!

Last edited:
I likeOrto, and myself, do a lot of kayaking. I believe that we have both kayaked the gorge! There's 2 big slides in there that are in the section that we run. One is this one (not my picture).

1445.jpg

Good fun!

That looks awesome. I have actually rafted the Nantahala so I should have gotten the first picture, but oh well. Is that Tallulah? If so I can't believe I have never kayaked that, my undergrad is 20 minutes from the gorge.

That looks awesome. I have actually rafted the Nantahala so I should have gotten the first picture, but oh well. Is that Tallulah? If so I can't believe I have never kayaked that, my undergrad is 20 minutes from the gorge.

Yup, the big slide there is on the Tallulah. The river runs 2 months/year (I believe) and it's a big party in that town. The Nantahala picture is from a different section than the one that is commercially rafted (the one in the picture is a class 5 section vs the class 2/3 that is rafted. There's just no water in that section right now).

well, perhaps we'll hear something from mercer today

Hey guys - anybody have any word on Mercer's secondary? Isn't it supposed to load today on Collegenet? I'm watching my email like it is a good movie (and feeling slightly stalkerish) for waiting around for it.

Did you MCG guys see this?

-MCG's recent increase from 180 to 190 students in the entering medical school class – and the previously announced increase to 200 in the fall of 2009

-The partnership between MCG School of Medicine and the Athens medical community will be established for an estimated 40 first-year students beginning as early as fall 2009 and no later than fall 2010

-On June 11, the Board of Regents authorized the execution of a rental agreement between the UGA Real Estate Foundation and the Board of Regents for 36,000 square feet of space at 279 Williams Street in Athens, a facility that will serve as the initial temporary space for the medical school campus in Athens. The lease covers the period June 15, 2008, through June 30, 2009, with options to renew on a year‐toyear basis.

-Tripp Umbach (the consulting firm) is recommending that an initial facility be developed on or adjacent to the University of Georgia which will house medical students no later than 2010. That facility will be used as a biomedical research facility for MCG/UGA faculty after the educational program moves to the Navy school site after 2012.

That's the first published information that I have seen that has a date of these changes

Last edited:
I talked to Mary Putnam and she said that they are still having issues with CollegeNet. She said that Mercer has given them until tomorrow to fix it or they will "take matters into their own hands." So I guess we'll be hearing something really soon...
Thank you for sharing your results with us

Last edited:
Did you MCG guys see this?

-MCG's recent increase from 180 to 190 students in the entering medical school class – and the previously announced increase to 200 in the fall of 2009

-The partnership between MCG School of Medicine and the Athens medical community will be established for an estimated 40 first-year students beginning as early as fall 2009 and no later than fall 2010

-On June 11, the Board of Regents authorized the execution of a rental agreement between the UGA Real Estate Foundation and the Board of Regents for 36,000 square feet of space at 279 Williams Street in Athens, a facility that will serve as the initial temporary space for the medical school campus in Athens. The lease covers the period June 15, 2008, through June 30, 2009, with options to renew on a year‐toyear basis.

-Tripp Umbach (the consulting firm) is recommending that an initial facility be developed on or adjacent to the University of Georgia which will house medical students no later than 2010. That facility will be used as a biomedical research facility for MCG/UGA faculty after the educational program moves to the Navy school site after 2012.

That's the first published information that I have seen that has a date of these changes

And here is a nice little link to follow up that post. http://onlineathens.com/stories/071408/uganews_2008071400112.shtml
That's the Athens newspaper (I am from the area). Honestly though I think the real obstacle getting in MCG's way is Athens Regional. The doctors there are (unfortunately) bitter. No joke. They have said they do not want med students or residents. They feel it will only complicate things and cause them to have more work. I think it is an awesome idea and will totally transform Athens. No offense but the medical care here leaves something to be desired and with so many rural counties around Athens it would be much easier to go there rather than to Atlanta. I think it is going to be a great opportunity. But I think the first few MCG-Athens classes will have huge obstacles with the bitter physicians at regional, and I think they will run into issues with Regional not being a level one trauma. But that's just my two cents.

Thanks again for sharing the Mercer info! All of us really appreciate it, as I'm sure we're all eagerly awaiting. :)

For the Mercer EDPers

is anyone sending more than 2 letters of rec? Last year i sent 4 and was under the impression that they were all used.

Just checking

I sent the "packet" they do at UGA, as well as two physician letters. I may still have another professor do one too, because she knows me really well. Do you know how much they consider those letters? Is it a big help if your writers know you well?

hmmmm question, is it worth to go to a brand new med school such as MCG-Athens? would the match process be more difficult?

hmmmm question, is it worth to go to a brand new med school such as MCG-Athens?
That is an interesting question that I had to face last year about Savannah. You can ask the people who decided to go there, but the "newness" was a concern of mine. I eventually decided that there wouldn't be much difference, but assuming you get in at both sites, there should be people that you can meet with. I suggest asking direct questions involving anything you are concerned about.

would the match process be more difficult?
I think I know enough at this point to say "no" to this one, though. You would be an MCG grad, like any other. But I don't think you'll have much to worry about. I would put money against them opening the school next year.

hmmmm question, is it worth to go to a brand new med school such as MCG-Athens? would the match process be more difficult?

I would not worry about matching, especially since it is not really a brand new med school. It still has MCG's history and name behind it, it is just a new location. I actually had a similar dilemma with Mercer-Savannah. I decided in the end to go to Savannah because the only problem I could see with the new site is hospital cooperation. Since Savannah has had 3rd and 4th years from Mercer rotating at Memorial for close to ten years I am not really concerned about the transition there. Athens however does not have any history of teaching. Regional is not a trauma center either which would be a real turn off to me. However I do think it would be a great opportunity and will be a huge program and really change the face of medicine in this region. So I would not worry about the match, just the opportunities that Athens Regional would offer. Like I said earlier though this is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I am just not that big a fan of Athens Regional, if you are given a choice on where to rotate go Saint Mary's, just trust me ;).

Last edited:
Oh man! That's awesome news about them opening up a school in Athens soon-ish. I lived in the Athens-area for 20 years, and have been looking to GA medical schools as an opportunity to come home (I've kept my residency while stationed elsewhere). It's nice knowing that there will at least be the option of staying close to family.

I am just not that big a fan of Athens Regional, if you are given a choice on where to rotate go Saint Mary's, just trust me ;).

Hhahaha. Everyone has such a strong opinion on that one!

Last edited:
I dont think PAs really do mundane tasks, maybe more mundane cases. The PA I worked with seemed to get the more exciting ones though. I would think most doctors would be eager to have residents so they could treat more and do less paperwork. Who knows.... Fall 2009 means that the MCG may be accepting 240 this yr then correct?

Last edited:
Hey yall, I already applied early decision to mercer for this season. I'm also waiting on my secondary stuff to arrive. Every time my cell phone makes the "new mail" noise I keep thinking its about my secondaries. Hopefully tomorrow we will hear something.

Do you think we will need to get a passport photo to send for our secondaries?