Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey yall, I already applied early decision to mercer for this season. I'm also waiting on my secondary stuff to arrive. Every time my cell phone makes the "new mail" noise I keep thinking its about my secondaries. Hopefully tomorrow we will hear something.

Do you think we will need to get a passport photo to send for our secondaries?

Yup.. Some med schools even take your picture when you interview to attach to your file if you get accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

UAB does that on the morning of interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I apped to MCG, Moorehouse, Emory as a cali resident...but my parents have been living in Georgia for like 7-9 years now and my sister goes to UGA. i also talked about doing some relief work after hurricane frances in my PS. anyone have any idea if i'm still going to be counted as an OOS applicant? i've heard that having immediate family/relatives in the state counts as being in state but i'm not sure...any help would be greatly appreciated.

The way that it was explained to me is that you are 99% conisdered OOS if your license is from another state. Also, AMCAS only lets you select one state to be in-state. If you are already out of state, you might have one hell of a battle on your hands for the in-state schools in other states. I would recommend contacting the schools and requesting their "additional" in-state verification form. That might help.. But prob. not.

Has anyone heard anything from Mercer? Still haven't gotten any new emails from mercer or Collegenet. thanks

I heard from mary putnam that it would definitely be out by either her or Collegenet by end of day on Monday. I'm sitting on pins and needles too waiting for it. :)

Mercer's secondary asks for SAT scores. What if we are old, and we don't remember what they were? I do remember the total, but not the section breakdown. Should we leave it blank?

I hope the SAT portion doesn't have much bearing. It might be there just to HELP your application rather than hurt. Let's hope... let's hope. haha

Anyone else caught off guard by the passport photo? I have to get a haircut and get my hands on a suit because mine is at college!

Last edited:
Does Morehouse screen for their secondary?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know about the photo either - I already sent in my residency form. I guess I'll mail one in tomorrow. I'll be putting on a dressy outfit for that I suppose.

passport photo? Good thing I already have a passport.

Last edited:
So do any veterans know how this works from here on out? EDP interviews are from end of August to end of September. When do they start letting us know if we've been selected for an interview? Let the nailbiting begin...

This is for Mercer EDP...

I'm not a EDP vet.. but I'm a vet of the process. Anywho, I think that both schools interview (normally) between the 15th of August and the 2nd week of September. Some people hear as early as a week after the interview that they are accepted. Others hear right at the deadline of October 1st. If you're not accepted, you will most likely be rolled over with the normal candidates. If you are selected for another interview (it does happen) then you might have another shot at getting in.

Someone said on here that 0 people got in during the normal cycle that had EDP interviews at Mercer and only a few did at MCG. So, get in off EDP or get ready to reapply?

PS. Latest interview I saw on last year's thread for Mercer was Sept 20th with an acceptance on the 26th.

The reason no one got in was because the regular cycle at mercer was more competitive than expected.

Ok, so things are going to move pretty fast, and I need to cross my fingers pretty hard on EDP working out. Do you guys know when the invitation to interview was extended? How fast do they move with letting you know when your interview is (if you have one)? Curious to know, especially since Mercer's secondary just opened due to the Collegenet difficulties...although I've already submitted now too.

Ok, so things are going to move pretty fast, and I need to cross my fingers pretty hard on EDP working out. Do you guys know when the invitation to interview was extended? How fast do they move with letting you know when your interview is (if you have one)? Curious to know, especially since Mercer's secondary just opened due to the Collegenet difficulties...although I've already submitted now too.

No one on here knows for sure.. But I would expect a 7-10 day notice before the interview, unless you are a local and you get bumped up in time for someone that couldn't make it to their interview and had to reschedule. I know this happens during the normal cycle.

Not a local to Macon, but close enough that I'll pretty much drop everything and be at their beck and call. Is anyone else already obsessing over all of this? Please tell me I'm not the only one. I'm not sure how I'm going to focus on school in the fall...this is already all I think about. It's pretty much the most important decision and life challenge I've ever attempted. Ok, excluding getting married.

Last edited:
yeah I'm pretty much just worrying if Ill get in or not. Very stessful, but I'm hoping for an acceptance as it will all be worth it.

Worrying about getting in - geez, I'm even worrying about just getting an interview. Seeing so many awesome applicants having to reapply makes me scared I won't even get interviewed.

And if I do on the SDN screename - I'll certainly NOT be flashing that one! ;) It was such a flippant pick - perhaps I shouldn't have been in a silly mood when I chose mine. :)

The one thing that I have learned in the past few years is that with each year, you either get more motivated and inspired, or you quit the dream. For me, I'm more ready today than I ever thought I could be. If it doesn't work out for you all this year, get back on the saddle and do it again.

:)

I saw some weird statistic a year or two ago that said 60% of the incoming students to "x" medical school were re-applicants. That figure doesn't surprise me. I talked to Mary at Mercer last year and she told me that this past year, they had accepted someone that was on their 5th application cycle. That level of dedication is inspiring and it put things in perspective.

Fahimaz7 - your stats are impressive, and your drive is even more impressive. I wish you the best of luck this season, and I'm sure you will experience success this cycle. To be honest, it's reapplicants like you that make me wonder why anyone would want to interview me.

But anywho, UGA's grads are the best, right? Why shouldn't we succeed:)

Could someone please post the link to MCGs secondary? :)

Tnks!

I think after my third rejection I would consider going to the carribeans instead of sitting out another year. Sure it doesn't have a great reputation but you could be half way through med school by the time your fifth application cycle would have came up.

I think after my third rejection I would consider going to the carribeans instead of sitting out another year. Sure it doesn't have a great reputation but you could be half way through med school by the time your fifth application cycle would have came up.

I would strongly consider DO school before heading to the Caribbean. DO grads, if they take the USMLE in addition to their own licensing exam (COMLEX), generally have second pick for residency slots after grads from US MD schools. By going to a Caribbean school, you are lumping yourself with the rest of the foreign school grads, and you will get whatever spots are left.

I'm also an EDP applicant for MCG, by the way. I sent in my AMCAS on the very first day, got the secondary on June 28th, and had everything in my file sometime around July 25th. I was interviewed and waitlisted last year at both MCG and Mercer.

I'm not interested in any of the super competitive specialties as I want to go into general internal medicine or even psychiatry so those two are possible even graduating from the Caribbeans. Going there would be my last resort though.

I spoke with Mary on Friday and they are reviewing applications until next week to make up the interview schedule. Maybe will will hear something by the end of the week. Not all secondary applicants get an ED interview. Especially this year when there are so many of us. If my math is correct, 2 interview days per week with 8 persons per day (Tuesday and Thursday historically) starting Aug. 12 and ending Sept. 25 (estimated), equates to 14 interview days. I imagine that the last interview would be Sept. 23 to give the admissions committee time to decide and post letters by the Oct. 1 deadline. I also don't believe the day after Labor Day will be an interview date. Thus 96 applicants for interview. 40-50 applicants should be accepted out of ED (50:50 odds of getting in ED if interviewed).

I am keeping my fingers crossed for an interview. Once that happens, I can go mad waiting for the phone call!

Make sure you post when you get your invite. Maybe some of us will have an interview on the same day and we can say hello before we interview.

Ruhler, thanks for all the great info. They invite you to interview via phone, right? Or is that going to come via email.

Definitely post if you get an interview, guys! Good luck everyone.

And can I please get a reminder that Mercer looks at the whole applicant. I didn't have the greatest MCAT score (25P), but I have some interesting career goals that line up with their mission perfectly, and I have a unique background.

I'm just starting to worry if I have a shot at all.

I'm not interested in any of the super competitive specialties as I want to go into general internal medicine or even psychiatry so those two are possible even graduating from the Caribbeans. Going there would be my last resort though.
Tough news on the reapps, congrats on reapplying though. Curious, have you received interviews/waitlists?

Last edited:
So have any non-EDP GA residents received a secondary app from MCG yet? This delay is really getting to me now.

Ruhler, thanks for all the great info. They invite you to interview via phone, right? Or is that going to come via email.

Mary Putnam will call you briefly to confirm that you have been notified. All information from then until the interview is transmitted via email. From the interview until acceptance, everything is by phone, and from your AdCom member (though you may still ask Mary any questions relating to general admissions info).

I thought this was an amusing piece of university policy... obviously it is intended to prevent lawsuits, but I think it is funny:

Use of the Masculine Pronoun​
Since the English language contains no singular pronoun which includes both sexes, wherever the word "he" appears in this handbook, it signifies he/she.​

There are plenty of people with your exact profile that are students at mercer. Although it sometimes takes a couple of times, I know of someone specifically that got in last year EDP with lower MCAT and good career goals.

Thanks for the information ruhler. I would be curious to see how many people applied early decision this cycle?? Either way, I will definitely post if I get an interview as well.

I've only counted between 7 and 8 edps to Mercer on here, though there were none last year at this time (I think). That was as of 7/15

I'll have to retrace at some point and update the list sometime

Woo hoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I was emailed this morning with an interview invite from MCG for Friday, August 15. Wow!!!!!!!!!! I am in complete shock. Time to go out for a nice run, and then I'll negate it with a beer or five :D Good luck to everyone, and just have patience.

Paz,
Alex

Last edited:
There is no way of knowing how many early decision applicants are not posting and only watching.

The total number of early decision applicants would just be a guess based on how many ED applicants are posting on here.

There is no way of knowing how many early decision applicants are not posting and only watching.

The total number of early decision applicants would just be a guess based on how many ED applicants are posting on here.
I agree (for whatever that is worth ! )

Woo hoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I was emailed this morning with an interview invite from MCG for Friday, August 15. Wow!!!!!!!!!! I am in complete shock. Time to go out for a nice run, and then I'll negate it with a beer or five :D Good luck to everyone, and just have patience.

Paz,
Alex

Congratulations!! I think you're going on one of the first interview days, too. Did you send your secondary/letters in pretty early?

Mary Putnam will call you briefly to confirm that you have been notified. All information from then until the interview is transmitted via email. From the interview until acceptance, everything is by phone, and from your AdCom member (though you may still ask Mary any questions relating to general admissions info).

Spot on!

Congrats to the first MCG interviewee! My friend applied ED at MCG. He probably read the post and is now pulling out his hair in anticipation. Let the waiting games begin!

Medical school admissions should be an Olympic Sport! Its a hell of a lot more grueling than tossing a Javelin! Anyone else agree?:beat:

Yes, this whole application process is very stressful!

Last edited:
So have any non-EDP GA residents received a secondary app from MCG yet? This delay is really getting to me now.

for those applying nonedp to mcg, i just called and the secondary should be released in about a week and a half (no later than 2 weeks) through email...hope that helps :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I did get all my application materials in really early which I think helped out a bunch. My letters of recommendation were actually in before the secondary was even released. Now I'll just have to pass the time between now and interview day. It's a good thing my brother is home from law school for the week. We're planning on doing a bit of camping before he heads back out. Again, best of luck to everyone. Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you during interview day.

Paz,
Alex

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I did get all my application materials in really early which I think helped out a bunch. My letters of recommendation were actually in before the secondary was even released. Now I'll just have to pass the time between now and interview day. It's a good thing my brother is home from law school for the week. We're planning on doing a bit of camping before he heads back out. Again, best of luck to everyone. Hopefully I'll be meeting some of you during interview day.

Paz,
Alex

I had my secondary in early as well, but the rec letters weren't in until the last week of July. Well, good luck to you. It's a very laid-back interview.