Georgia Drowning in COVID...elective procedures on chopping block...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Godspeed...

“People will never understand if we do not tell the truth about how bad it really is,” the source said. “That’s what makes us so angry.”

Members don't see this ad.

Biased junk reporting and not what is going on around me. ASC and OR booked. No new guidance outlook for downturn or warning of closure from director of surgical services.

2 Nevro implants tomorrow. Doing for a friend.

Reactions: 1 users
At le east your governor won't let those pesky masks get in the way

Members don't see this ad :)
At le east your governor won't let those pesky masks get in the way
I think he is pro mask as voluntary.

We do not allow patients in office with temp over 100.4. Masks mandatory. Had a patient fired yesterday for being rude to staff about not wearing a mask.

Reactions: 1 user
Biased junk reporting and not what is going on around me. ASC and OR booked. No new guidance outlook for downturn or warning of closure from director of surgical services.

2 Nevro implants tomorrow. Doing for a friend.

this is totally off topic and has nothing to do with this thread...but i clicked on the website link below your picture and glad to see another EVMS alumni! Went there for med school and intern year

BS.

I'm booked.

I have a trial, an epidural, and a buttload of clinic tomorrow.

Mask and general precautions at all of our sites. General as in all the nor.al things everyone else is doing - Temperature testing, distancing...

one can imagine how feeble you are in real life...
Maybe one day you can see how feeble I am in person.....What we can be sure from your posts is that you are a simpleton.

I think he is pro mask as voluntary.

We do not allow patients in office with temp over 100.4. Masks mandatory. Had a patient fired yesterday for being rude to staff about not wearing a mask.
Well I would hope masks would be mandatory in a medical office. Reason you have all these anti-maskers is it is not made mandatory by governors or endorsed by the president.

Well I would hope masks would be mandatory in a medical office. Reason you have all these anti-maskers is it is not made mandatory by governors or endorsed by the president.

If Trump said he was mandating masks, you lefties would immediately take them off in protest.
Lots of stupid people out there. Freedom to choose whether to wear a mask. Government cannot tell me what to do on my land. Murica.
But if I go in your store and your policy is to wear a mask, I better wear a mask or leave. Calmly, quietly.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
closing down all elective procedures is a mistake. even in houston or miami, do ICUs need touhy's and RF probes? if a hospital is at capacity, then i can understand if you dont do a a hip replacement, but if the last surge taught us anything, it is that the hospitalizations are predictable and many times didnt materialize. the whole country prepares for a NYC situation, when really just NYC needs to prepare.

i dont think that hospitals will have the stomach for another elective shutdown. despite what drusso seems to think, many of them are barely treading water as is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If Trump said he was mandating masks, you lefties would immediately take them off in protest.
Lots of stupid people out there. Freedom to choose whether to wear a mask. Government cannot tell me what to do on my land. Murica.
But if I go in your store and your policy is to wear a mask, I better wear a mask or leave. Calmly, quietly.

im sorry in what article of the constitution does it say you have the choice to go mask-free? seat belts are mandatory. motorcycle helmets are (mostly) mandatory. fentanyl is not OTC. sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. more importantly, if you dont wear a mask, you are infringing on MY rights

I think we moved too quickly from "masks do more harm than good" - CDC to "If you don't wear a mask, you are one of the deplorables!"

Not to excuse people but honestly this is completely new to modern day Americans. Asia is accustomed to wearing masks. So, maybe I just have low expectations, but I'm pleased when I see people wearing masks.

I think we moved too quickly from "masks do more harm than good" - CDC to "If you don't wear a mask, you are one of the deplorables!"

Not to excuse people but honestly this is completely new to modern day Americans. Asia is accustomed to wearing masks. So, maybe I just have low expectations, but I'm pleased when I see people wearing masks.
When did they say masks caused harm?
I must have missed that. They have been recommending use of mask for last 3 months. They haven't been pushing it hard until last couple weeks though.

Closing down all procedures NOW would be a mistake.

Why? Georgia hospitals are seeing huge numbers of COVID-19 pts. Many hospitals are on diversion.

With what level of death and disease are you comfortable?

Why? Georgia hospitals are seeing huge numbers of COVID-19 pts. Many hospitals are on diversion.

With what level of death and disease are you comfortable?

Hospitals on diversion probably shouldn't do shots. Your ASC in BFE? NFW

Hospitals on diversion probably shouldn't do shots. Your ASC in BFE? NFW

Agree! Yes!

You now are for a more targeted approach to COVID-19.

I seem to remember you talking zhit to me directly not too long ago over my refusing to completely shut down despite the fact we were not hurting at all...

Good to have you on my side now.

When did they say masks caused harm?
I must have missed that. They have been recommending use of mask for last 3 months. They haven't been pushing it hard until last couple weeks though.
I don't know if it's still on cdc website but they said in guidance that masks were not recommended. They cited a false sense of security and also mentioned people touching /adjusting their masks, potentially contaminating them. I know this because I actually helped spread this information to others based on CDC guidance and linked to the cdc page.

I'm not condemning cdc by the way. Just saying it's hard enough to convince people to change their behavior when it's long standing science, let alone the opposite thing we were trying to convince them of a few months ago. There are plenty of people who still refuse flu and other vaccines for god sake.

Agree! Yes!

You now are for a more targeted approach to COVID-19.

I seem to remember you talking zhit to me directly not too long ago over my refusing to completely shut down despite the fact we were not hurting at all...

Good to have you on my side now.

Not exactly how i remember it, but its not april anymore. We are going to be in this sh@t for a while, so we still have to be able to function

yes and no...
Merica also demands you wear some sort of genital covering when walking around outside your home.

speaking of Georgia, there will be no mandatory masking, because Kemp is a puppet of Pres Trump, for better or worse.

I don't know if it's still on cdc website but they said in guidance that masks were not recommended. They cited a false sense of security and also mentioned people touching /adjusting their masks, potentially contaminating them. I know this because I actually helped spread this information to others based on CDC guidance and linked to the cdc page.

I'm not condemning cdc by the way. Just saying it's hard enough to convince people to change their behavior when it's long standing science, let alone the opposite thing we were trying to convince them of a few months ago. There are plenty of people who still refuse flu and other vaccines for god sake.
at the beginning, before there were cloth masks, the CDC told people not to use masks, so save masks and other PPE for essential workers, including healthcare workers such as you and I. that was several months ago, in March. it is now July and roughly 3 million cases later....

start at 1:40.

" "Any hospitals that did reopen elective surgeries should now shut them down, especially given the daily shattering of records of number of infections,” the largest national nurses union wrote in a statement to POLITICO. "

Oh great! The nursing union is demanding to shut down, which is a great addition to the mandatory breaks they get Q5min.

God forbid a scrub nurse or circulating nurse actually finish a case in its entirety.

Reactions: 1 users
Closing down all procedures NOW would be a mistake.
Your statement takes some humility given how sanctimonious you were when COVID cases weren’t as numerous as they are now. I thought you’d be calling it “shameful” that I was putting money over lives as I carelessly open my clinic door. If it isn’t exactly how you remember it you can review your posts and refresh your memory. You were a Richard, straight up.

We have to function now. We had to function in April too. Happy to see your change of opinion.

Cheers!

Your statement takes some humility given how sanctimonious you were when COVID cases weren’t as numerous as they are now. I thought you’d be calling it “shameful” that I was putting money over lives as I carelessly open my clinic door. If it isn’t exactly how you remember it you can review your posts and refresh your memory. You were a Richard, straight up.

We have to function now. We had to function in April too. Happy to see your change of opinion.

Cheers!

i dont need to review my posts. and i wasnt wrong in april, either. again, we don't know where we would be had we not shut down everything for 2 months. arizona in particular could have been zombie town.

it was reasonable to shut down in the spring when we didnt know how things would play out. people can wait a month or 2 for an RF or an SIJ injection. people can't wait forever and we now understand the virus. it is not reasonable to again shut us down. bars, restaurants and nail salons? thats open for debate

Early, coordinated, and sustained action gets you curve B. Haphazard measures lifted early gets you curves A or C. The initial strict shutdown was supposed to get us to a low enough case count that definitive contact tracing was possible. We know it’s doable because other countries have. Instead we as a country have the worst of both worlds - a harsh shutdown crushing economic productivity, followed by totally giving up on restrictions leading to an even worse surge of cases and deaths, which will necessitate an even longer shutdown and loss of economic activity if we are to control it. So the early shutdown was necessary at the time, but rendered useless by later actions. Might as well have just gone with curve D...
These lessons aren’t new, btw - the graphs below are from the 1918 flu.
1594994963262.png

Contact tracing?....I thought we were flattening the curve to not overwhelm hospitals? Which is exactly what happened. The hospital ships and temporary military hospitals sat empty from what I remember. Looting and protests had a huge impact as well going on 50 or so days.

i dont need to review my posts. and i wasnt wrong in april, either. again, we don't know where we would be had we not shut down everything for 2 months. arizona in particular could have been zombie town.

it was reasonable to shut down in the spring when we didnt know how things would play out. people can wait a month or 2 for an RF or an SIJ injection. people can't wait forever and we now understand the virus. it is not reasonable to again shut us down. bars, restaurants and nail salons? thats open for debate
So, is it not exactly the way you remember it or do you not need to review your posts? We did know in April that stopping clinics was unreasonable. We did see that wanting to close a controlled environment like an office setting was unreasonable and arbitrary when a Target could remain open. We did know that masking and strict hygiene protocol would lower risk. If you feel people can wait a month or 2 for an RF or SIJ injection it totally contradicts your thought they should get those procedures now. Yes, you were wrong in April but at least you have come around, so that's nice.

Bars/restaurants/etc need shut down if they don't enforce containment measures. There is no debate about that. They let people party like its 1999 in Scottsdale and now they're closed and rightly so. Their conduct was indefensible.

Contact tracing?....I thought we were flattening the curve to not overwhelm hospitals? Which is exactly what happened. The hospital ships and temporary military hospitals sat empty from what I remember. Looting and protests had a huge impact as well going on 50 or so days.
Yes all about the protests, Nothing to do with governor Kemp and Desantis policies

people like this are the Problem

pmrmd - hindsight to justify your position can be fraught with difficulties.

specific actions were taken to prevent catastrophic national spread. interestingly, one should argue the early shut down prevented the anticipated 1 million deaths touted by Trump and his loyalist Peter "I went to Hahvahd so I'm smarter than Fauci" Navarro.

I would argue that the radical approach did reduce the initial spread. and it did allow for more PPE for those in the front line in NYC and in Washington.

as Fauci has more eloquently stated than I cant fully capture in a post, the problem is that the country reopened much too early without appropriate measures such as available testing and contact tracing in place.

now we are screwed, since a significant portion of the country has been unduly influenced by politicians to not do advocate for practices based on best known science available, but are based purely on partisan stances.

We are screwed with a less than 0.05% fatality rate virus?.....probably less because there’s hundreds of thousands more people who are asymptomatic. Using currently available statistics repeated over and over on your channels, only about 1% of the population has had the virus. Most in urban cities. So no, I don’t agree we are screwed based on politicians or anything else. The models were in your words based on if we did nothing, remember? You can’t have it both ways.

I think we are much better for having restricted in the beginning, and would have been much better if we had slowly opened up. we didn't. hopefully, we wont have everyone exposed, and have your professed low mortality rate (the current best estimate is 5 times your number of 0.26%) and so will limit deaths to only 300,000,

ie eliminate the population of Orlando, or Lubbock, or Plano, or St. Louis.....

if your 0.05% fatality rate affects 328,000,000 people, you have killed off 1,640,000 people.

you would have eliminated Philadelphia.
or Dallas.
or Phoenix.

now as a NY fan, that might not be a bad thing...

We HAVE a mandatory mask requirement in my state. But, at the end of the day, people still take take their masks off, gather together with friends and family, hug, laugh, and pass beer around. That's after they "get their workout in" at small, indoor exercise classes.

I think our American culture is kind of unique in the sheer number of people who don't follow the "guidance", whether it's law or just recommendations. We're a bunch of rebels.

I have been consistent in saying pain management is essential. You've been wishy-washy.

I have been consistent in saying pain management is essential. You've been wishy-washy.

no, i havent been.

it is not essential. you consistently overvalue yourself (big surprise). just because it is not essential, does not mean that we should be closed right now.

Last edited:
pmrmd - hindsight to justify your position can be fraught with difficulties.

specific actions were taken to prevent catastrophic national spread. interestingly, one should argue the early shut down prevented the anticipated 1 million deaths touted by Trump and his loyalist Peter "I went to Hahvahd so I'm smarter than Fauci" Navarro.

I would argue that the radical approach did reduce the initial spread. and it did allow for more PPE for those in the front line in NYC and in Washington.

as Fauci has more eloquently stated than I cant fully capture in a post, the problem is that the country reopened much too early without appropriate measures such as available testing and contact tracing in place.

now we are screwed, since a significant portion of the country has been unduly influenced by politicians to not do advocate for practices based on best known science available, but are based purely on partisan stances.
You went far outside the issue in this meandering response. Issue = pain procedures in April 2020 and was it safe. Of course it was then and is now because the environment can be controlled. It was clear through the lens of common sense it was appropriate to treat the patients if precautions were made. Now everyone is in agreement.

What irks me the most was the preaching moralism from the lefties at that time. In April I and others were greedy physicians shamefully placing money over the lives of our patients. It wasn't just someone saying they disagreed. It was instead a certainty that I was actively killing the people coming through my door. Isn't that right? Weren't those the criticisms from the lectern of moral superiority from you guys, who felt some kind of compulsion to preach your erroneous ideas as proven facts? Isn't that kind of what went on? It was.

Reactions: 5 users