Georgia residents applying out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a resident of Georgia, which ones did you choose? Are there certain ones that GA residents are accepted to quite a bit? Favor Ga residents? Curious from the GA people out there who have already applied or are compiling their lists they are applying to....

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a resident of Georgia, which ones did you choose? Are there certain ones that GA residents are accepted to quite a bit? Favor Ga residents? Curious from the GA people out there who have already applied or are compiling their lists they are applying to....

Schools located in states bordering GA may be more familiar with GA schools and GA applicants in general but I don't know if that will necessarily translate into favoring GA applicants over applicants from other states.

I applied to schools all across the nation - ranging from TN to OH to NJ. And thank God I did because I didn't get into any of GA's 4 allo schools (rejected at 2, waitlisted at 2). But I didn't think my 'georgia-ness' was a factor at any of the OOS schools I applied to (or was accepted to).

If you don't mind saying - what OOS schools accepted you? Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
I attended college OOS, but as a GA resident, I found myself representing a rare breed as I interviewed at schools across the country. (This was especially true at UCSF, but I guess that makes a lot of sense!)

I'm not sure if GA is favored in any OOS schools' decisional processes, but the scarcity of GA residents across the country definitely allows you to add a unique perspective to the class.

I don't understand why most GA residents only apply to instate schools. I know so many people that applied to just MCG, or just MCG and Mercer. Your 'best bet' for OOS is to apply to other southern medical schools, but really just apply where ever you're competitive.

Oh I would never just apply instate. I don't particularly like Augusta, but MCG is a good school that favors instates. However, that said - I know there are certain out-of-state schools that tend to take more out-of-staters than others, and geographic area seems to matter from searching through mdapplicants.com. Although this is true, I am still left confused as to what sort of schools to think about it as I work hard preparing for the MCAT. I like to have goals! Any more feedback is totally welcome!