Georgia Tech vs. Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bsthomas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone is currently attending Georgia Tech or the University of Georgia. I am going to transfer to one of these schools, but i'm not sure which one is a better undergrad premed school. I have called both schools and they both say the same thing. (their school is the best) I would like the opinion of anyone who is attending the school or went their and got into med school. I am interested in research and Tech is known for their research facilities, so i am leaning toward Tech. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey bsthomas,

My name is Nirav. I currently graduated from Georgia Tech and am applying to medical school again. I didn't get in the first time (actually I am waitlisted at Mercer). Anyway, I will tell you a little about Tech's pre-med program. I used to be the pre-med society's president, and I know certain "facts" about Tech as well as UGA. To start off, Tech does have a great research base especially bioengineering (I worked in the tissue engineering dept). Infact, there is a whole new building for the biomedical engineering dept. As far as the students being accepted from Tech, its a great ratio (about 60-75% depending on the year). I am just the exception (I graduated with 3.75 and got a 8V,11P,O,10B on the MCAT). I have known many people at Tech with much better scores and GPA than me. Oh yeah, I was a biology major at Tech. As far as UGA is concerned, I can tell you that they have a lot more applicants to medical school, hence more acceptances. However, their ratio is low. If I remember correctly, UGA has something like 50-60 students accepted to MCG (Augusta) last year. I know Tech had about 36 and 49 applied from Tech to MCG. I decided to go to Tech so that I could be in Atlanta. Besides that, I doesn't really make a difference atleast for me. I will tell you this. I have heard from many Tech students who got into medical school that their Tech education prepared them very well for the rigors of medical school. I think I have to agree with them, because I thought I was smart until I started making B's at Tech. So, in summary, if you think you can handle Tech, then its probably the best choice. Listen, if you want to know more about the medical school application process, you can e-mail me and I will tell you about my experiences with interviews,gossip,etc. of the medical schools in georgia. Infact, I am applying early decision this year to Medical College of Georgia. Hope this helps.