Geriatric psych and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroKlitch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There aren't many threads about geriatric psych . I read somewhere that there are only 1200 or so fellowship trains geriatric psychiatrist . Any ideas why? I was recently considering neuropsychiatry , but it seems that it's a very research oriented subspecialty. I've been considering geriatric since i feel like it mirrors neurpsych is many ways except is more clinically oriented . Is this accurate ? Secondly , is a fellowship necessarily required to practice geriatric psych , such as in a nursing home ? Or would extra readings and experience with older populations suffice ? Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There aren't many threads about geriatric psych . I read somewhere that there are only 1200 or so fellowship trains geriatric psychiatrist . Any ideas why? I was recently considering neuropsychiatry , but it seems that it's a very research oriented subspecialty. I've been considering geriatric since i feel like it mirrors neurpsych is many ways except is more clinically oriented . Is this accurate ? Secondly , is a fellowship necessarily required to practice geriatric psych , such as in a nursing home ? Or would extra readings and experience with older populations suffice ? Thanks .

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you want an academic position, you will need a fellowship. There are many nursing home position that DO NOT require a you to have a fellowship and to be honest the adult psych training should be enough for you to work with that population. So, a fellowship is not necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Spending a year of your life to do something you're already reasonably competent in, a year of your life that you will NOT benefit from in the long run (salary, etc), is not a choice most are going to make. That's why C/L and Geri will always struggle.

I also think our generation is wising up to how many of the attendings in these fellowship programs were grandfathered in.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I missing something about academia in general?

You get paid less, its more competitive, and have to do more training to get there? Is it for the love of knowledge? Am I missing some great benefit?

Am I missing something about academia in general?

You get paid less, its more competitive, and have to do more training to get there? Is it for the love of knowledge? Am I missing some great benefit?

1) Residents

2) Fancier business cards

3) The really weird cases

4) Ability to curbside colleagues PRN

5) Teaching

6)Did I say already about the business cards?

1) Residents

5) Teaching

I'm not totally sure about this, but I think many academics manage to open a small private practice on the side. Having an affiliation with a renowned academic center helps with name recognition.

1) Residents
as academic centers expand, increasingly the new psychiatry faculty positions may have little or no contact with residents. Plus residents rotate at the VA, state hospitals, jails, private hospitals etc. There is nothing stopping you offering a resident rotation in your own practice and I know of several groups that do so. Even Kaiser has residents in some places. Plus outside of inpatient or consults, residents probably aren't much help. The increasingly onerous requirements by institutions/insurance companies etc means that in many places it's not as cushy to have residents as it once was, where attendings would do pretty much nothing.

the fanciest business cards I've seen are private practice forensic psychiatry ones. academic centers often provide pretty crappy business cards and you can get the faculty title without working at said institution to put on your business card if you want

This is definitely true.

I get curbsided by my friends out on the real world all the time. There are many listserves, FB groups, group texts, email groups, and in-person peer supervision groups for everything from psychoanalysis to brain stimulation

5) Teaching
You don't need to be in academics to teach. It's pretty common for people in non-academic settings to teach med students and residents.

pfft

I was obviously mostly joking, but the curbsiding thing outside of academia is reassuring. I think I would struggle if I was working in a setting where I did not really respect my colleagues as professional peers and did not have people to reach out to for advice or input when I am stuck.