Geriatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC-2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering getting into Geriatrics. Anyone out there also interested in it? If so where are you considering doing your residency? There are very few AOA Geriatric residency locations, so I am considering ACGME residencies. What have you heard about the few AOA geriatric residencies? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DOC-2004, I'm glad to see another person interested in geriatrics. There aren't many of us! Personally, I've always loved the field (I have a masters in Gerontology) and at this point I plan on doing an AOA geriatrics fellowship. Note that it is NOT a residency. Instead, it is a fellowship that you come into AFTER completing your residency in either Family Medicine or Internal Medicine.

Incidentally, there is a new AOA geriatrics fellowship opening up here at NSUCOM this year. Aside from NSU, I believe the other programs are PCOM, TCOM, and maybe Jersey.

Also, if you are thinking about going the ACGME route, be sure that you are consistent and do an ACGME residency as well. I've heard that there can be problems getting your geriatrics certificate if you do, for example, an ACGME residency and an AOA fellowship (or vice versa). Can anyone verify this?

Take care.

G.

Hey G.!! Thanks for the response. True that there are few of us interested in Geriatrics. I only have a Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Gerontology but the courses I took really got me interested. Thanks for clearing up that Geriatrics is a fellowship and not a residency. I'll keep my eye on the new NSUCOM Geriatrics fellowship. I also noticed that there is a fellowship offered in Colorado Springs, CO. My wife's folks live there. I planning on researching that program some more, but was wondering if you have heard anything good or bad about that program?

DOC-2004