German to UK Medical School Transfer or Exchange Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slight365

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question come up recently that I was interested in, as I'm a UK citizen, but studying in Germany (only lived in the UK when I was a baby).

If I want to transfer, or do a semester abroad, how possible is it, and how similar do the systems go? I understand the tuition difference in the UK, though I'll get the EU rate, as I'm a legal resident, and was wondering about a semester exchange after my Praktikum (the exams at the end of the second year), or out of curiosity, the potential for a transfer (of course, after the Praktikum exams are done).

It's mostly out of curiosity, as I'm so far satisfied with the support and education quality here, but sometimes, a semester abroad (especially in my own language!) might be good for perspective and to reduce burn out.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a question come up recently that I was interested in, as I'm a UK citizen, but studying in Germany (only lived in the UK when I was a baby).

If I want to transfer, or do a semester abroad, how possible is it, and how similar do the systems go? I understand the tuition difference in the UK, though I'll get the EU rate, as I'm a legal resident, and was wondering about a semester exchange after my Praktikum (the exams at the end of the second year), or out of curiosity, the potential for a transfer (of course, after the Praktikum exams are done).

It's mostly out of curiosity, as I'm so far satisfied with the support and education quality here, but sometimes, a semester abroad (especially in my own language!) might be good for perspective and to reduce burn out.

A transfer will not happen. A semester abroad as such will not happen. An elective during your final year would be fine and not that hard to arrange. They are usually 1-3 months long so a term maybe. Go on the websites of the UK schools, or google electives and see what you can find. Some wont accept students from foreign schools, some don't care, Barts certainly accepts foreign students for at least some of their electives. I'm pretty sure your citizenship makes absolutely no difference.

A semester abroad as such will not happen.
Incorrect, my school offers semesters abroad, throughout the world, two of which are to Australia and the US.

Furthermore, if I'm able to establish contact with a potential school, my school has told me an exchange can be possible.

I'm pretty sure your citizenship makes absolutely no difference.
Actually, it does. As I explained in my post, I am a UK citizen and versed on how the charges will apply to me, as an EU resident.

An elective during your final year would be fine and not that hard to arrange.
Actually, it would not, as I will be working on my thesis for the "Dr" part of my title during that time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How about ERASMUS?

My med school doesn't have an agreement with a medschool in the UK, but maybe yours. If not, sometimes it is possible to establish such an agreement. I heard of a girl who also studied in Bonn and she wanted to go to Graz/A for her ERASMUS year, Graz wasn't a partner of the University of Bonn at that point, but they were able to implement this, now Graz offers one slot for a student from Bonn each year.
I'm sure, that if you already have a good contact to someone at a UK medical school you might be able to initialize something similar.

P.S.: Or are you talking about strictly working on your Dr.-thesis during that time, therefor you usually only need a laboratory which is willing to support your work.

I fixed the last answer I posted to reflect properly about the last year. I have no intention of spending it elsewhere.

Erasmus can make it happen, but I was looking into the structuring of the UK schools to make a choice. However, then you have bambi, who immediately and protectively jump to "it won't happen", as they apparently don't want foreign exchange students (who happen to be British!) in their schools.

Incorrect, my school offers semesters abroad, throughout the world, two of which are to Australia and the US.

Furthermore, if I'm able to establish contact with a potential school, my school has told me an exchange can be possible.

Actually, it does. As I explained in my post, I am a UK citizen and versed on how the charges will apply to me, as an EU resident.

Actually, it would not, as I will be working on my thesis for the "Dr" part of my title during that time.

Everything I said was about the UK which I thought was clear especially considering this was the only place you mentioned having an interest in. Your school may offer semesters abroad but UK medical schools don't accept students for this. You being a UK citizen makes no difference to whether or not you would be accepted to do an elective over here. Even the tuition thing will almost definitely not be an issue as most places here don't charge tuition for that sort of thing. Funnily enough I don't know your timetable so don't know what you do in 5th year but if you want to come to the UK that would be the time and like I said it wouldn't be too difficult to arrange.

I fixed the last answer I posted to reflect properly about the last year. I have no intention of spending it elsewhere.

Erasmus can make it happen, but I was looking into the structuring of the UK schools to make a choice. However, then you have bambi, who immediately and protectively jump to "it won't happen", as they apparently don't want foreign exchange students (who happen to be British!) in their schools.

With your attitude you might have some issues. Our schools like maturity, some even offer deferred places to people they deem too immature so this is something you will need to work on if you plan on coming here. I don't care whether we have foreign exchange students or not, it makes no difference to my life and you suggesting something like that is immature, rude and pathetic. Some of my best friends at undergrad were exchange students in fact, there exchanges happen all the time through the ERASMUS scheme but it is very different with medical schools. I thought you wanted an honest answer so that is what I gave you. I told you how to go about a possible exchange but if you want to live in fantasy land that is up to you.

For the love of God will you stop your constant whining and complaining about how the whole world is out to get you?

I feel an ulcer coming on every time I read one of your posts. German students don't want to work with you? After reading your posts, *I* wouldn't want to work with you and I haven't even met you.

Here's just a little summary about slight365's view of Germans and Germany:

Germans are all xenophobic who want nothing to do with foreigners. Germans are like little sheep and live in a vacuum. They all hate english. They are so stupid that they don't understand anything that is taught in medical school (only slight365 does and is the *only* one in a class of 300 who is getting great scores on tests, but is unable to answer any questions when asked). German is such a hard language to learn and the language tests are so hard that even native German speakers have difficulty with it (but slight365, who is a native English speaker, was able to pass it after taking language course...no problem.). They're all Nazis and Nazi propaganda is everywhere. Germans are all liars, lazy, hypocrits and are jealous of the U.S. Germany is a ****ed up country. No one works and everyone is on welfare. The food sucks too! Millions and millions...and millions live in poverty. All German politicians are corrupt. There are extensive social and economic problems, all of which are blamed on the U.S. Germany is a big, bad evil, evil country. Germans can't enjoy their 6 weeks of vacation because German incomes are incredibly low so they can't afford any vacations. There are riots everywhere!! Germany is bankrupt. Countries all over Europe will collapse in 2011! The Euro will collapse too and it will be the end of the world. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
With your attitude you might have some issues. Our schools like maturity, some even offer deferred places to people they deem too immature so this is something you will need to work on if you plan on coming here. I don't care whether we have foreign exchange students or not, it makes no difference to my life and you suggesting something like that is immature, rude and pathetic. Some of my best friends at undergrad were exchange students in fact, there exchanges happen all the time through the ERASMUS scheme but it is very different with medical schools. I thought you wanted an honest answer so that is what I gave you. I told you how to go about a possible exchange but if you want to live in fantasy land that is up to you.
Yes, we all know people. They are usually our best friends, too.

Also, if we're going on "attitudes" and "[online] maturity", then 75% of this forum's members would not be in med school, residents, or attending physicians.

Yes, we all know people. They are usually our best friends, too.

Also, if we're going on "attitudes" and "[online] maturity", then 75% of this forum's members would not be in med school, residents, or attending physicians.

True, people do tend to use the best friends thing but in my case it is true, believe or not, no skin off my nose.

No skin off my nose, either. Same for superoxide. He just simply described Germans, and not me. Don't know what he was trying to do, but only drove my point home (and also showing that he's on my dick).

No skin off my nose, either. Same for superoxide. He just simply described Germans, and not me. Don't know what he was trying to do, but only drove my point home (and also showing that he's on my dick).

What I wrote above are just some of *your* outlandish, over the top, wildly exaggerated views about Germans and living in Germany. Go back and read our own posts to refresh your memory.

At first I took you seriously, but now I'll be reading your posts for entertainment purposes only.

What I wrote above are just some of *your* outlandish, over the top, wildly exaggerated views about Germans and living in Germany. Go back and read our own posts to refresh your memory.

At first I took you seriously, but now I'll be reading your posts for entertainment purposes only.
Actually, that is not factual. You reinterpreted them in your own words, from your own angle and agenda.

Actually, that is not factual. You reinterpreted them in your own words, from your own angle and agenda.

Actually it is...verbatim. Go see post history.

Well I've been looking into a few UK medical schools and bambi is quite right. It's very unlikely that they tend to accept transfers. And all the British students at my faculty usually set up electives during their clinical years (which is apparently a lot easier). I think it's because UK has a very different teaching system (is it because a majority of the schools are PBL-based?? as opposed to the more traditional curriculum seen in continental Europe?)

It also clearly states that transfers are just not possible except in a few circumstances (like if the medical student's university was about to shut down as it didn't have adequate funds to carry on...which I think it's very improbable.) ERASMUS is probably more confined to Continental Europe. I don't think there are many medical universities in England that allow this to happen (at least the ones which are well-recognized).