Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

get a full time pharmacy tech/clerk job for a semester?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by winwinwong, May 15, 2008.

1. winwinwong

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi all you smart people out there.

I am currently a rising junior chemistry student, and I am thinking about taking a semester off ( personal problems, and small liberal art school environment is really killing me). I am considering maybe going to Pharmacy school after my undergraduate ( if I can actually get in), so for my semester off, i was wondering if I can work as a pharmacy technician for just one semester. I read some earlier posts saying that mangers wouldn't want to hire someone who's going to leave in 6 months... so it is not even realistic for me to try to get licensed and work as a tech for that one semester off?

Also, does anyone know what the policy for a pharmacy tech in the state of MASS? Do I have to be certified? I know walgreens does paid training for people, but again, i am only taking a semester off. Although my major advisor did tell me that there's nothing wrong with taking an entire year off...so potentially i could have a whole year off...

I am just really confused, any help is welcomed!! THANKS!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Do what you want to do, as long as you can clear your head so you can finish your educational goals.

I took a few years off from school (not saying you should do that). As for becoming a tech and any job you will ever apply for, you never say you are only going to be their temporarily, unless the job you are going for is a temp job.

Work at walgreens as a clerk or whatever, become a tech, and when school starts either quit or cut back hours.

I have no idea what is needed to become a tech in MASS, so no comment.

4. YiYaoYue

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    i know you should never mention you'll be there temporarily, but what if they ask? lie?

5. mrblah

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    they probably won't ask you directly, but don't lie. You tell them that you want to be in it for the long term, but your educational goals are your number one priority, and hopefully, they are willing to work around your schedule if your schedule conflicts with work. Its hard to say what will happen in the future.

Either way, if you enjoy the job and they accomodate your needs, you will probably stay. If you don't like the job, you can leave whenever you want (give them 2 weeks).