Get an MPH before applying for MD/PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

working_hard1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school has a combined 5 year undergrad/MPH program that you apply for during your junior year. I am planning to hold off on applying to MD/PhD programs until my senior year because I want schools to see all my undergrad grades (so I'll be taking one gap year hopefully). If I did this MPH program, that gap year would be spent completing the MPH degree. Is this worthwhile to pursue? Thoughts on how this would help someone pursuing an MD/PhD? The application is super competitive and I'm trying to decide whether I should devote the time to applying. I do have a genuine interest in public health (one of my undergrad majors is in public health).

Members don't see this ad.

In what subject area do you plan to earn the PhD? Do you have siginficant bench research experience at this time? Do you plan to acquire more in the next 2 years?

In what subject area do you plan to earn the PhD? Do you have siginficant bench research experience at this time? Do you plan to acquire more in the next 2 years?

I plan to earn the PhD in a biological science. I have significant bench experience (3 publications, with hopefully 2 more on the way). I definitely plan to continue doing research in the next two years

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see the point then of the MPH. Which concentration would you focus on? Maybe infectious disease epidemiology or environmental health science would make sense... is that somewhat related to the bio science you'd like to pursue?

i don't think an MPH (or any 1-2 year non-SMP/non-postbacc master's program that doesn't have a thesis or research requirement) would mean much, since a lot of those master's programs serve to make extra money for universities using courses that are already on the registrar. if it's an MPH with a thesis or a program in which you can pursue independent research for credit, you can count that towards your research experience, and would be looked at favorably. for MD/PhD, just try your best to be prolific (presentations, publications, etc.) and choose the path that would be most likely to make that happen.